Sometimes nightmares are real: the insurance story

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Incidentally, do you think Durisol have handled this in a reasonable manner?

I haven't followed in total detail, but coming out to your site etc and accepting the claim seems to be perhaps drawing a positive from a negative(?).

To an extent, by luck, yes. The Durisol North rep (Jamie) was out straight away and has (with his lads) all but finished putting it right. Next week ought to see the end of the wall-build. 

The point I wanted to make earlier in the thread was that it is only by luck - in this case - that I could build an evidence-based argument to refute the Insurer's un-evidenced assertions.  

Luck - in the form of almost irrefutable highly local meteorological data - has played the most significant role. And who normally has access to that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Luck - in the form of almost irrefutable highly local meteorological data - has played the most significant role. And who normally has access to that?

I am hoping (clutching at straws?) that this might not be as bad as you think. I think yours is 4 miles away.

One for @SteamyTea, probably, but how many weather stations are there in the UK? When I was looking at temperature data in a conversation about skirt insulation, my closest was within 6 miles. Even data from an amateur may be relevant.

Here is a map of dozens of Official Weather stations.

And here is a list of around 150 'Independent' ie hobbyist ones. But they seem to be Automatic Weather Stations (aws in the url).

While those may not all be "expert witness" quality, they could perhaps sway an insurance claim.

ISTM that data from both may be relevant. The larger (and more expensive) challenge may be the expert interpretation.

F

My guess is that the sum of money is just too small to warrant any form of further action, and I'd also guess that Durisol have learned a great deal from the incident, and will modify their advice accordingly.  I suspect Durisol will look at it as a useful learning exercise, of net benefit to them in the longer term.

55 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Seems nothing has changed yet on the Durisol site. Still saying "without propping".

That could be down to their web site update policy.  IIRC, our external-facing web site at work only got updated about once a month, with the exception of automatically linked (and pre-vetted) news releases. 

One company, that I'm still in vehement disagreement with over their breach of copyright and false information about our build, and who I would heartily recommend that everyone avoid like the plague, told me that they struggled to get their web site updated more than a few times a year.  Certainly they have not removed the copyright breach material, nor corrected the false information, in well over a year now, hence the reason for me having to spend time and money taking legal action.

Edited by JSHarris

19 hours ago, Onoff said:

How are you getting them out now then?

Well, as usual @JSHarris was right.  Two nuts tightened hard against themselves, and a good blob of weld (yes, my welding), a period of cooling and followed by the kind of twisting technique you use to cut a thread from a piece of bar.  The only ones left to do now are too close to the scaffolding to be accessible. 4 out of 130.  I'm super pleased. :D

The addition of a blob of weld (plus cooling) makes all the difference. Early on, I was too keen to rotate the nuts, so I kept breaking the weld.

Those metal work sessions from half a century or more ago (how to put a thread on a bar) were of some use.