Straight edge; blocks for the laying of....

ToughButterCup

What do you call, and where do you buy  a simple big straight edge? I mean a big one for brickies, so I can lay blocks in a straight line; or rather check easily and quickly that blocks have been laid in a straight line?

I am going to buy several builders string lines (or whatever they are called) and put them in the post to make sure builders have their own personal line that they can bring to work every day. Each morning there will be a parade and inspection. I am going to look in each ear to see if I can see daylight, and they will have to present their line thingamajig.

And I'm going to give them DVDs about how the Egyptians managed to lay blocks in straight and level lines, and I'm also going to buy yards of  clear plastic tubing and give them endless supplies of  water and food colouring to help them lay blocks that are level. 

And when I have done that I am going to whisper Sweet Nothings to  each builder's ear so loud  that the whole village knows that blocks need to be laid level and plumb. And when I've done that I am going to use the broken record technique until they manage to shut me up by laying blocks straight and level.

Do I sound peeved? Good.

Wouldn't mind knowing what brickies use as a straight edge though.

Ian (Peeved of Lancaster)

It's called a spirit level usually a 1200mm length although stabila do a very good 1000m version. You could if you wanted use an 1800mm level to check stuff but it would be a boomerang in no time if it was used by a brickie.

If you are paying for a builder who doesn't own rolls of string line then he's not the one for you.

And if the said lines resemble a set of rosary beads as he has cut the line that many times then they need replaced.

Edited by Declan52
  • Like 1

You can also by very long straight edges onto which you can put a spirit level these can run up to 3m and longer. One technique an old brickie taught me was to use two post at each end of the wall being built with nails in at each course level he then just moved the string up by a nail at each end once a course was complete. He marked them out together and leveled them with a dumpy level so each end was perfect. He had two lead weights on the ends of the string to stretch it straight. He told me the line drooped about 1/16th inch over 20 feet when held taught by these weights. 

• Like 1

My brickie has just built a 6m chimney with a 5 step corbel from reclaimed bricks and according to my laser it's perfectly plumb ... Roofers told me the ridge is out by 10mm over 16m today too ...

He uses a 1200mm Ox level, and a string line. Doesn't even use profiles for the doors and windows ..! 

Dare i ask what brought this on? or are you saving it for the blog?.

usually plumb is sorted with a 4' level at either end (unless they are using profiles)

then brick line is strung between the corners as described above

the most common reason for you to get a belly in the wall is that they are laying the bricks touching the line, so each one pushes it a little further out, or you often hear that the insulation is pushing the blocks out. but as you are using ICF i doubt the latter is what you are suffering from.

the main issue i found is that "to stereotype horrifically" most bricklayers are glorified monkeys barely capable of playing jenga, 

as for checking their work get a set of brick pins and bang them in either end and put a 10mm spacer behind the line, then go and see how much space there is behind the line in the middle

Is not this for one for:

1 - Get long straight sufficiently strong batten.

2 - Attach spirit level to it.

3 - Attach a couple of cheap cupboard door u-handles.

My favourite straight edge is the steel I-column in Wickes in the wood-aisle, that I use for detecting bananas amongst their CLS.

My brickies just used a  brickiees' line, wrapped aroound a brick at each end, and a long spirit level to check it for each course.

Added: Thinking about the geometry they may well have the line wrapped around 75mm bricks and emerging from the top for a wall made with 65mm bricks, which would give a 10mm mortar joint.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

8 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

Dare i ask what brought this on? or are you saving it for the blog?.

[...]

Later. 

I'm going to be quite an unpleasant little bunny for the next few days.

And as for paying promptly like I used to, well stuff that. Rationale? The additional costs the plasterers  charge to straighten  bananas.

How did I find out? A European supplier with an interest in accuracy paid a visit on his way past J33.

Now you know why I packed in Foremanship...

The basic,elementary mistakes brickies make when you're not babysitting them-just shocking. As above-laying hard to the line is a common one,as is offering the level up against the wall with one hand rather than pinching it against the wall below with your foot or knee to get a true reading,not checking for plumb after four courses,not keeping to gauge height blah blah blah. 

Christ,I'm boring myself now. 

No wonder I don't get invited out much now...

• Like 1

We've had the pressure, now the support

I have gone out to the BM and (on a separate ticket) bought

• A builder's bag
  • a two meter spirit level
  • three different sorts of builders lines
  • some chalk
  • two disposable saws for the blocks
  • some of those fat nail things to bang into the wall and tie the line to
  • a few of those plastic corner things to hold the line
  • a rubber mallet
  • a short spirit level
  • a plumb line or two

and I will be putting my Bosch zigger zagger  (chop saw?) with three batteries and some long Saxton blades in it too.

I have one of those superjaws portable vices and a set of old pallets to act as a cutting bench.

And apart form the Bosch saw, the cost will be deducted from the final bill.

No more Mr retired Academic Nice Guy.

Unless of course, simple basics are done correctly. The we can be all smiles, tea, coffee, bacon buttie, the odd joke and prompt payment.

While I'm waiting for the builder to grace the site with his presence, I'm watching the wind gust forecast like a hawk. And feeling sick at the thought of Friday afternoon. 35mph. And just a hint of east (where we have little or no wind shadow) in the prevailing southerly, swinging round to west where there is at least some.

I think I can say that scales have dropped from my eyes in the last couple of weeks. Some would say it's about time. And they'd be right.

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

think I can say that scales have dropped from my eyes in the last couple of weeks.

Not you as well!!

David Icke's really on to something with this Lizard People/Illuminati conspiracy!!