What colour windows?

jayc89

Grey on metal has always been very stable for us. I'm sure it fades slightly but it does so evenly.

Putting these mentioned grey colours side by side, especially in shade, there isn't a huge difference. On big panels it is very clear.

I agree. Choose the colour you want. 

I'm absolutely crap with design and knowing what looks good together. I need to see the finished article before knowing whether it works or not. The Architect wanted to go black frames on buff brick originally, but we compromised on grey. 

5 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Like anything you'll have to live with for decades, bathroom suites etc, the answer is white. 

Our frames are grey external & white internal - some suppliers, like ours, offer this as a no cost option.

5 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Like anything you'll have to live with for decades, bathroom suites etc, the answer is white. 

White windows are really boring though when there are so many options nowadays. Of course you can re-paint timber windows and change the colour. Bit harder with alu clad so as you you’re stuck with the colour. 

The bigger challenge with colour schemes is in open plan areas as there are so many different surfaces. In our case the architect also detailed RAL7016 for the internal colour of the windows. We said no because it’s such a large expanse of frames on two walls and figured the natural wood look would be warmer and easier to match. 

I also went for anthracite on all windows, in hindsight I should have gone white internal but oh well. Got a black front door though 😁

I've kept the grey colour scheme for soffits and facias so gone all in. If it's dated its dated but I liked it the first time I saw it years ago and still like it now.

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Bit harder with alu clad so as you you’re stuck with the colour.

Our alu clad trim is held on by clips and it just pops off with a bit of gentle persuasion.  If you really did find that you could no longer live with the colour in a few years time, you could change the trim without changing the windows I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/02/2023 at 17:16, deancatherine09 said:

We've gone RAL 7016 Black Grey

Wanted Jet black but 'Dark Grey' was specified on the planning app and so to avoid a delay in discharge of conditions we wanted something was called 'Grey' so the pen pushers at the council would OK it.

It looks black in person.

Are you sure that not 7021?

That's a dark grey that looks kind of "black..ish" but certainly isn't when you put a true black against it.

7016 is anthracite, and is more of a mid blueish / grey and nowhere near as dark as 7021

On 02/02/2023 at 21:00, jayc89 said:

We like Chartwell Green (RAL 6021 is the nearest) but worry it's too "cottagey"

A couple of houses round us which are of simialr style to your (pre-extension) house have gone for a colour near sage green. They look really good. It suits the creamy brickwork and landscaping around the properties.

8 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

A couple of houses round us which are of simialr style to your (pre-extension) house have gone for a colour near sage green. They look really good. It suits the creamy brickwork and landscaping around the properties.

Don't suppose you have any pictures? Google Street View etc? 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, eandg said:

We went RAL6021 and the only gripe I have is that the Compriband is made to suit grey and dark windows so there's a bit of an unintended contrast around the windows. 

thats on my list, it very similar to the 'cotswold green', looks good. I like the shadow effect of the compriband as well.