deancatherine09

Members
  • Content Count

    31
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

4 Neutral

About deancatherine09

  • Rank
    Member

Personal Information

  • Location
    Wilts / Hants borders

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi We are looking for a company to carry out a soil survey in the Hampshire area in preparation for an insulated raft foundation. Has anyone got any recommendations?
  2. Just want to express my thanks for the recommendations. I have contacted a couple of companies and also, started looking into whether it's feasible for us to do the work ourselves, then just get a company in to pour and power float the concrete. @BotusBuild how long would you say it took you start to finish, and did you strip the site and lay the drainage pipes too?
  3. I am really struggling so far to get anywhere in my search for a contractor who can supply + install an insulated raft foundation for our project in Hampshire. I had a contact from Isoquick for a groundworker who uses their product but after a couple of promises for a quote he has now stopped responding to me. Any recommendations?
  4. I already have a quote from Scotframe, but am looking to get a few more SIPS quotes for comparison. I thought they had it in the bag but they have shocked us with a recent huge price increase so we are casting the net wider now. Companies who do the engineering, supply and installation preferably. We are based in Hampshire. 280m2 build Thanks in advance
  5. V2 back from the architects. Much better and we are pretty much there. We are still debating the vaulted ceiling / triangular windows at the back (I personally don't love them) so I think they might go, plus we may tinker with a couple of the other windows too. Balcony is a non negotiable point - the views are stunning and it's one aspect of the house I am really looking forward to.
  6. Thanks all for your input - lots of valuable points and very much appreciated. We had a meeting with the Architects yesterday and lots of points raised were discussed. The twin roof design I do like, and with planning constraints I am not sure there's much else that would fit the bill, but I take on board the points re gulley. We already had on the list to add a couple of Velux windows in that gulley, to let in light to the roof space and allow access for inspection and maintenance. I don't think anyone will be able to see them from the ground so they shouldn't cause an issue for planning. Other points discussed were, reduce balcony size, move en suite to right of bedroom, change larder access along with add plant room with space taken from downstairs shower (not needed). We are also removing the chimney (never in our brief and they guessed we wanted one). I also have asked them to move the stairs more centrally and move the coat / shoe storage to next to the front door. So we are hoping the second draft will remove some of the design issues in the above. I imagine it won't be final but much closer! The solar gain on that stairwell window is a valid point, but we aim to mitigate that by having deep set windows (internal opening) and external shading. The top will be opening so we can use it to vent the house in summer.
  7. Below are the first draft back from the architects. Background - there is already PP for a detached house on the plot. This design follows the same footprint but has been amended and modified internally and externally. It's a 0.4 acre site with good views over the South side. Overall, we are really happy with what they have done. And instead of Zinc/ Timber I am leaning towards charred larch / brick with slate roof. There are a few adjustments internally we are pondering on but I guess the question is to the more experienced folk out there, what would you suggest as improvements?
  8. Thanks all. You've confirmed my concerns. To further complicate matters, the old owner of the site (who got the PP) has already done the self build exemption for the site, so now I need to work out how to transfer it over to me. I can't do the transfer form as it needs signing by him, so will have to try and assume liability from scratch myself and then re-apply for the exemption - hopefully that will work.
  9. Hi all, We completed on a plot with full PP a few weeks back. We are in the process of getting the services to site and need to dig a narrow trench to lay the pipework before the water board will connect us. We are also going back to planning to amend the design of the house, and hope to put a new PP application in within the next month. My question is, should I be applying for the self build exemption based on the current planning, in order to dig these trenches and get the pipes installed? Will these work trigger the CIL liability? I had hoped to wait and apply for the CIL exemption when we had the new PP, but I don't obviously want to breach the conditions now.
  10. We submitted costings from Estimators Online, think it cost £150 from memory. Ecology's appointed valuer didn't question it and they accepted it with no questions.
  11. Welcome! We have just bought a plot just outside of the New Forest - nr Romsey. The forest is lovely but also there are so many more restrictions on planning, so do your research before you buy 🙂 I had always wanted to live in the forest but when we looked seriously at the practicalities and expense, we decided to change our search to neighbouring villages.
  12. Just a quick update on this. We took ownership of our plot (finally) on 1st April 2021. Off to the NSBRC on Saturday for more research and architect appointment next Wednesday, so it's full steam ahead now.
  13. Thanks Bitpipe. We've done a prelim SAP using Stroma already but will need to tweak it for new house design. Encouragingly our architect has done several MBC passive house projects so we are glad we have found him!! Doesn't sound like the 'other' BC docs are that onerous so that's really encouraging. Thanks
  14. The plot sounds very overpriced unless you know something we don't. We are buying a stunning 1/3 acre plot in an expensive Hampshire village for £375k - amazing views etc. I know you said you don't want to discuss merits of the plot price here but in reality if the plot was cheaper you would be able to afford to up your build budget and the project would be feasible. How long has the plot been on market and have you tried an offer yet?
  15. Thanks Bitpipe. I remember your super helpful comments on my intro thread and hoped you might find this one. You have confirmed my thinking. I will go it alone with the help of my dad who is helpfully a QS Did you go with a BCO linked with a warranty co or an independent private one? It makes me wonder why MBC don't have an option to sort the BC for you, if what they do is 90% of the work. I know Fleming Homes will sort your BC for you if you want them to (for an additional fee). Out of interest, what were the other documents the BCO wanted to see? I am going to go ahead with the planning as the original design has been done by someone who clearly hasn't a clue on passive house principles so I want an architect who knows what they are doing to re-do it. I want to get this right and I don't trust myself to do it justice.