My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

13 hours ago, Thorfun said:

I fitted one iBox with hep2o and was very joyous when I tested it and it looked dry! sadly that didn't last and I found a small weeping leak. this is due to the fact that my adjustable wrench is rather fat and so I couldn't tighten it any further. so I have ordered a slim adjustable wrench which will allow me to tighten all the connections up. 

still, thought I'd post a photo of how it looks anyway.

image.jpeg.30488947505ae36ee7bba3647b09d34e.jpeg

What connectors did you use to connect the hep to the ibox?

8 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Seems like the Hep2o version is plastic. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hep2o-plastic-push-fit-adapting-90-wall-plate-elbow-15mm-x-1-2-/2279f?ref=SFAppShare

seems pretty strange that. 

Pretty sure they used to do a brass version, as I was looking the other week.  I'm not sure I have too much confidence in anything that has plastic threads.  As much as we don't want too many hidden connections I think I'll do the same and convert to copper.

image.thumb.png.8786b6e5a1f313558c218b3daad5764b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crispy_wafer said:

Pretty sure they used to do a brass version, as I was looking the other week.  I'm not sure I have too much confidence in anything that has plastic threads.  As much as we don't want too many hidden connections I think I'll do the same and convert to copper.

image.thumb.png.8786b6e5a1f313558c218b3daad5764b.png

i wonder if something like this is the ticket?

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Primaflow-Copper-Pushfit-Wall-Plate-Elbow---1-2in-X-15mm/p/194595

can put a length of copper pipe joining the hep2o to this with no compression or solder.

1 hour ago, markc said:

That’s would be classed as flat face, the seal should be on the end, not the thread chamfer

think i'm going to have to do a lot more research on the difference between flat and tapered as i'm confused and can't tell the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crispy_wafer said:

As much as we don't want too many hidden connections I think I'll do the same and convert to copper.

and here's a Pegler Tectite version

https://www.toolstation.com/pegler-yorkshire-tectite-sprint-wallplate-elbow/p26550

afaik, Pegler are a quality push fit copper manufacturer and i have a Toolstation 5 minutes from my house. could pick some up on my way home from work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

and here's a Pegler Tectite version

https://www.toolstation.com/pegler-yorkshire-tectite-sprint-wallplate-elbow/p26550

afaik, Pegler are a quality push fit copper manufacturer and i have a Toolstation 5 minutes from my house. could pick some up on my way home from work.

@crispy_wafer even cheaper at B&Q!

https://www.diy.com/departments/pegler-yorkshire-tectite-push-fit-90-wallplate-pipe-elbow-dia-15mm-dia-12-7mm-15mm/5022050670687_BQ.prd

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

@Thorfun have you bulk purchased any plumbing fittings (is it worth it for a one off domestic with 2/3 bathrooms, kitchen and utility?) vs just utilising Screwfix/Toolstation Wickes B&Q etc as and when.

i don't really remember! i'm pretty sure i bought as and when i needed it from SF. i found them the cheapest on hep2o stuff and i have one just over 5 minutes from my house. so i am constantly popping there when i've forgotten something. for long rolls of hep2o it's often collect next day so you do need some kind of planning.

i have purchased some bits from JTM on @Pocster's recommendation but have since looked after they were bought out by PlumbingSuperstore and their prices seem not as competitive now.

Plus, a local Screwfix will take parts back for a refund with no questions asked and that's very beneficial when you don't know what you're doing and buy every part you think you might need just in case! 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

me too!  You've got me going off on a tangent thinking about plumbing 🤣, when I need to be trying to design a lighting plan for my kitchen and dining open plan room.  

just don't put a grid of spots like here!

ps. obviously, you can if you want as each to their own.

Edited by Thorfun
added ps.

I'll post up my own plea for help in the lighting section, but I am getting to the point where I need someone to just design out the interior for me and say there go 'make it like that'  at the moment all I can see is blockwork and timber and cant get see the finished version.

3 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

I'll post up my own plea for help in the lighting section, but I am getting to the point where I need someone to just design out the interior for me and say there go 'make it like that'  at the moment all I can see is blockwork and timber and cant get see the finished version.

i can recommend our lighting designer if you want someone. wasn't too costly for a concept design. https://www.instagram.com/elenishiarlislighting/

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

Hmmm...I fitted Pegler ball valve isolators either side of my mag filter on the boiler. One or both are letting by.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

No it’s tapered the wrong way, it should be tapered inside not outside

ok. so if fitting in to one of those 1/2" wall-plate elbows I would need a rubber washer in there? I'll have to see if one comes with the fitting.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

See page 2:

thank you! just what I needed to read. unlike you though I think I'm going to go with the push-fit copper bib as I don't want to use compression and I'm not ready to buy in to soldering. I will go shopping tomorrow and get this done. I will also pick up some of that liquid thread seal if it's idiot proof then I'll be in better stead than using Loctite 55.

I'll also make sure the bib ends flush with the ceiling plasterboard so the skim will then leave it a few mm back as suggested by @Russell griffiths in that thread. then I'll just need to mock up something to protect it all from the plasterers!

@Nickfromwales have you used these plastic bibs from hep2o?

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/p/hep2o-wall-plate-elbow-black-15mm-x-12-inch-pushfit-hx615w/p/616913

I always thought that screwing brass into plastic was a recipe for disaster? it makes me wonder if these are 'special' plastics for Wavin to move to plastic over brass?

I presume Wavin must be pretty confident in the product to still give it a 50 year guarantee

Edited by Thorfun
50 yr guarantee

7 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

@Nickfromwales have you used these plastic bibs from hep2o?

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/p/hep2o-wall-plate-elbow-black-15mm-x-12-inch-pushfit-hx615w/p/616913

I always thought that screwing brass into plastic was a recipe for disaster? it makes me wonder if these are 'special' plastics for Wavin to move to plastic over brass?

I presume Wavin must be pretty confident in the product to still give it a 50 year guarantee

I have used these though tbh I prefer the brass version 

• Thanks 1