My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

19 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

ps. to be honest I actually want to use a very deep trap with a removable 'filter' type thing so the boss doesn't have to be completely at floor level. I want it to act like a catch-pit type thing so I can easily remove any mud and other stuff that comes off the dog. I've not researched them yet though but surely they exist?

Let it disappear down the pipe! If I can dispose of U571, then a few dog hairs and a bit of mud will disappear to never be seen again, zero problemo. 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

today I thought I'd try and fit the toilet waste in our downstairs loo to the Geberit frame. but I got confused (easily done to be fair). the frame comes with a 90mm pan connector but the toilets we chose have a bigger hole (https://www.duravit.co.uk/products/all_series/d-neo.com-en.html?product=6434574). I'm trying to set the frame to the correct height so that I have the pan at the correct height to get the correct fall to the soil stack. how the **** do you go about doing this? is there an easy way? do I just bin the pan connector that came with the frame and buy something that fits the toilet? 

I'm sure this is noddy stuff but I could do with some simple steps to follow. I think I've read other's posts on this subject but I've read so much over the past 3 years that I'm not sure where I read it. 😞 

• Like 1

If your saying the fitting supplied won't go over the 102dia then I would buy a pan extension, but still fit the original pipe but cut it as far back as you can. I.e flush or indented into the wall. The supplied pipe will clip to the frame.

Heights is just a simple question of working backwards. 

I find it easier to fit the waste pipe and flush pipe to the WC then sit the WC on the floor upside down, (WC lid on the floor.) Then measure the centres of the pipes from the floor.

Then draw a line on the wall at the height of the WC seat..and use the measurements to mark the positions of pipe centres. Easy😉

Edited by Jenki
Typo
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jenki said:

If your saying the fitting supplied won't go over the 102dia then I would buy a pan extension, but still fit the original pipe but cut it as far back as you can. I.e flush or indented into the wall. The supplied pipe will clip to the frame.

Heights is just a simple question of working backwards. 

I find it easier to fit the waste pipe and flush pipe to the WC then sit the WC on the floor upside down, (WC lid on the floor.) Then measure the centres of the pipes from the floor.

Then draw a line on the wall at the height of the WC seat..and use the measurements to mark the positions of pipe centres. Easy😉

Sounds simple! Toilets are bloody heavy though to be flipping upside down and back again!

• 2 weeks later...

I ran some waste today for our bath. it's in 50mm waste pipe. when I dry fitted it the fall was fine but after welding it it seems that my fall has ended up about 1:200. do I need to rip it out and start again? or is that shallow fall ok in 50mm for bath waste?

I think I know the answer by the way just don't want to do it as it means I've wasted 4hrs today. 😭

No you haven't wasted 4 hours. If you hadn't done it wrong today you'd have done it wrong later.

1:200 is downhill and the water is pretty clean (I expect) so  it would work.  It might empty slowly though, depending on the length and connections.

But might it sag and be flatter yet?

Have another check of the levels before deciding. Sometimes spirit levels misbehave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I ran some waste today for our bath. it's in 50mm waste pipe. when I dry fitted it the fall was fine but after welding it it seems that my fall has ended up about 1:200. do I need to rip it out and start again? or is that shallow fall ok in 50mm for bath waste?

I think I know the answer by the way just don't want to do it as it means I've wasted 4hrs today. 😭

It’s fine 🍷 

• Haha 1

Just now, saveasteading said:

It's not really compliant in terms of the regs but if you have a means of rodding the line then if you do get a problem later you can give it a clean.

To stop the sagging over time you maybe want to support it every 600mm or so.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

No you haven't wasted 4 hours. If you hadn't done it wrong today you'd have done it wrong later.

1:200 is downhill and the water is pretty clean (I expect) so  it would work.  It might empty slowly though, depending on the length and connections.

Have another check of the levels before deciding. Sometimes spirit levels misbehave.

it's a short length (about 600mm) in 50mm waste pipe. it shouldn't sag as I have supported it at either end. I have checked it with a laser and poured water down it and can hear it going in to the soil pipe. I'm wondering if the short distance and 50mm pipe means that the bath won't empty that slowly. 

13 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

It's not really compliant in terms of the regs but if you have a means of rodding the line then if you do get a problem later you can give it a clean.

To stop the sagging over time you maybe want to support it every 600mm or so.

no rodding point. this waste will be boxed in behind a wall so kind of need to make sure it's ok! that's why I'm contemplating re-doing it.

I will sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

it's a short length (about 600mm) in 50mm waste pipe. it shouldn't sag as I have supported it at either end. I have checked it with a laser and poured water down it and can hear it going in to the soil pipe. I'm wondering if the short distance and 50mm pipe means that the bath won't empty that slowly. 

no rodding point. this waste will be boxed in behind a wall so kind of need to make sure it's ok! that's why I'm contemplating re-doing it.

I will sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

It’s fine 🍷 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

it's a short length (about 600mm) in 50mm waste pipe.

It should be fine. I thought you were taking about something 2 -4 m long.

The bath should empty fine so long as there is a bit of a drop between the outlet from the bath trap and the start of the 50mm dia pipe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

The bath should empty fine so long as there is a bit of a drop between the outlet from the bath trap and the start of the 50mm dia pipe.

🤣🍷

fine = 🍷

Said so !

• Like 2

On 09/09/2023 at 19:27, Gus Potter said:

I decided to redo it. in the end I only had to cut one piece a bit shorter and that gave me a better angle of descent. I'm now at 1:40 which I'm much happier with!

I'm glad I did it as well as when I removed the horizontal piece there was a bit of water still in it. so it was definitely worth it in the end.

• Like 2

next question which is related to the previous discussion on upsizing waste pipe. i know that @Nickfromwales is a big advocate of doing this, so for a wc basin the waste pipe would be upsized from 32mm to 40mm. but in our downstairs WC i will have to drill holes through the internal stud wall to run the waste pipe. it is 89mm CLS and so if i'm drilling a 45mm hole (to account for the fall of the pipe) through the 89mm CLS that's quite a fair chunk of the timber missing!

is this an issue? should i just stick with 32mm in this situation? the waste run is about 1m at most from basin to soil stack.