Catflap - I cannot be the only one with this issue?

So a lot of work is going into trying to achieve airtightness.

Not least, the assumption that a reasonable standard will be achieved,a and that therefore an MVHR system will be really needed (which is why I posted this here!)

But for all those people who have managed to build (fairly) airtight houses, how have you managed to provide cat access? 

(There is an Austrian company offering  Der Petwalk Solution but that's got three noughts on the end!)

Experiences please?

Think of all that organic traffic we are losing from people with fat cats that have got stuck inside airlock style cat flaps.

The answer is to keep the cat in the shed.

(Hmmm. That thread is 3 on Google for "passive catflap").

cat-flap-shed.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

Now that is content that needs copied over asap. We're putting our decidedly non passive cat flap (microchip enabled) in the well insulated garage so the cat has a refuge. She can come into the house by appointment. Actually what I need is a cat microchip enabled way of activating the doorbell so we know when to let her in.

Hmmm, good to know that our feline friends have not been forgotten.

My favourite bit of that exchange was the technical discussion of how to make sure the feline's entry or exit did not 'waste' (Oh God, I have to be careful now) erm... heat.

And since a cat is worth about 10 Watts........

Guest Alphonsox

It was actually reply #21 on the original Passive Catflap thread, but I think by that point it was swamped by the ongoing meta-discussion :)

We gave our cats away several weeks ago.  Don't miss the little spongers (or their 5am wake-up calls that no-one else in the house except me was woken up by) one tiny bit.  

Catflap problem?  What catflap problem?

8 minutes ago, jack said:

We gave our cats away several weeks ago.  Don't miss the little spongers (or their 5am wake-up calls that no-one else in the house except me was woken up by) one tiny bit.  

Catflap problem?  What catflap problem?

Careful Jack, I'm often told that our kids see how we treat our pets and treat us accordingly.

Which is why when our cat's time comes, it will be off for the final trip of a lifetime to Vegas. Or so I'm telling the kids.

Aha, but we made a big show of making sure the cats went to a home where they'd be loved.  They met the new owners.  I hope for similar kindness from my kids when they ship me off.

When it came down to it, there were 10 seconds of tears from the younger child, 5 seconds of melancholy from the older one, and the cats have hardly been mentioned (let alone missed) by anyone since.  Getting rid of the cats was literally one of the best things I've done in years.  Saved me hundreds a year in food and vets, reduced the levels of shed hair by an order of magnitude, and I don't get woken up at all hours of the night by the little blighters.

Plus I didn't need a new mortgage to get an airtight catflap!

I refuse to give in to dog requests as I know that I will become the default carer despite what the kids say !

We also have 6 chickens but they earn their keep in eggs and have no expectations of indoor living.

3 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

We also have 6 chickens but they earn their keep in eggs and have no expectations of indoor living.

We can't leave the back door open because the chickens like to come into the kitchen! Despite me building them a lovely larch clad house to live in. Ideas above their station, I feel.

On 6/3/2016 at 15:02, Crofter said:

We can't leave the back door open because the chickens like to come into the kitchen! Despite me building them a lovely larch clad house to live in. Ideas above their station, I feel.

Chickens, that all!

turkeys.jpg

On 03/06/2016 at 11:51, DeeJunFan said:

I'm allergic to cats and dogs (among the many other things)

My Dr actually told me to kill my sister's cat just in case it got in the house when I wasn't around.

Me too, have never worked out the sentimental attachment to pets.

Why can't we have a referendum to ban all pets.  Would get my vote.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trw144 said:

https://www.petwalk.uk

£1500 ???, I remember I built an automatic door for the chicken house years ago with a timer and a windscreen wiper motor from a Land Rover ( fitted with a second auto stop switch) surely you build similar with a proximity transmitter for the little critters.  Designs on the back of a fag packet please.

Edited by TerryE
Fix link. The old one had gash parameters making the system think that this was a CSRF (kind of hack)