Catflap - I cannot be the only one with this issue?

I can't see a problem with just providing a cat with a "safe haven" outside, personally.  All it needs is the cat equivalent of a dog house, perhaps with a catflap on the entrance to keep it warmer, like the one in the shed posted earlier.  What did cat owners do before cat flaps came along? 

I remember my grandmother always had cats (nasty Siamese things) and she'd put them out at night and let them back in the next morning.  They'd always be sat on the mat outside the back door every morning, waiting patiently to be let back in.

Leaving cats out, with an outside shelter if they need it, solves a lot of problems, in my view.  When we spent a fortnight at a friends place in Portreath, "cat sitting" whilst they were on holiday, the one irritating thing I remember is that their cat (which was generally a nice enough creature) would come back in through the cat flap in the early hours and then scratch on the bedroom door to be let in and spend the rest of the night on the bed.  I did wonder then whether a cat flap was really such a great invention, leaving aside the heat loss problem.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

I can't see a problem with just providing a cat with a "safe haven" outside, personally.  All it needs is the cat equivalent of a dog house, perhaps with a catflap on the entrance to keep it warmer.  What did cat owners do before cat flaps came along? 

We adopted exactly this approach with our cats, creating a small sheltered area for them and their food / water bowls.  They still got in the house from time to time, but in the main, seemed quite happy living outside.  

Of course, being cats, when I devoted several hours to building them a more luxurious cat house, the refused to go in the damn thing.