New series of Grand Designs 31st August 2022

Thorfun

https://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/grand-designs-houses/grand-designs-new-series-2022/?utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=READ MORE&utm_source=Grand Designs Magazine&utm_campaign=New TV series coming soon! Here's what to expect...

I'm particularly interested to see how a three-storey, 5 bed, 7 bathroom curved cantilevered 700mhouse with an initial budget of £700k turns out! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

I'm particularly interested to see how a three-storey, 5 bed, 7 bathroom curved cantilevered 700mhouse with an initial budget of £700k turns out! 😂

Nice, but well over budget. Or on budget in some other alternative reality, like some of these builds on TV tend to be.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, pocster said:

It will turn out as a 1.3million build .

I predict £2 million. with all those curves and curved glazing and cantilevers with a grand designs finish it's gotta be at least £2.5k/m2. then add costs for **** ups along the way. 

14 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I predict £2 million. with all those curves and curved glazing and cantilevers with a grand designs finish it's gotta be at least £2.5k/m2. then add costs for **** ups along the way. 

Wouldn’t surprise me at all . Or they suddenly take stock and remove Cantilevers , non curved glazing , reduce glazing ; tell architect to stop using clients money to full fill his own ambition. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 08:53, joe90 said:

My favourite from the last series

" I think in about two years’ time we won’t need to heat the house at all,’ says Andrew."

Who is going to call him and ask how it is working out.

What village in Buckinghamshire was it?

• 2 weeks later...

It truly was breathtaking idiocy to give away more than 100% of the value of the work when it was only 20% finished. Very fortunate indeed to have his sister to supply his windows for free.

Watching that made me feel an awful lot better about the minor rookie errors I have made!! 🤪

21 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

It truly was breathtaking idiocy to give away more than 100% of the value of the work when it was only 20% finished. Very fortunate indeed to have his sister to supply his windows for free.

Watching that made me feel an awful lot better about the minor rookie errors I have made!! 🤪

The windows were not free, he said he didnt have to pay for them until he got the mortgage money 

Hard to believe he built it for £1.7m, let alone that he thought he could do it for £700k. So many of the more extravagant builds featured on GD seem to involve characters whose egos are more inflated than their bank balance can support. And as others have said, talk about naive handing over €250k up front without any contractual or financial security in place 🤔 

22 hours ago, Adsibob said:

So only £1m over budget.

Makes me feel so much better about our overspend.

Yes, how someone can start with a budget of £700K and then magic up an extra £1m is a totally different world to the one i inhabit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes, how someone can start with a budget of £700K and then magic up an extra £1m is a totally different world to the one i inhabit.

We ended up £50k over our £40k contingency on a £400k budget (so 490k in total - although house still isn’t finished, so will only get further into the red from here). That was/remains bloody stressful and was only salvaged through a combo of a very inventive mortgage broker and a £20k loan from my mum. If this guy managed to Magic up £1m, he/she must live in a very different reality to the one I live in.

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

If it really was 1.7 mill

It is normal to exclude the fees to the professionals. It shouldn't be, but that is part of the scam.

I have many times asked Architect and Client each to state what the budget is, and whether that includes fees and contingencies. It can be an awkward moment for both....one trying to hide the real price (or bluffing) and the other realising it for the first time.

Do we know in this case?

On 20/08/2022 at 08:53, joe90 said:

My favourite from the last series was this one , especially in these times of rising energy costs https://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/grand-designs-houses/self-heating-house/

I'm not taken by that one. I think the original subterranean 1st certified UK passivehaus (the one with built underneath the barn) is more interesting for that genre.

Though the 'may partner was off work so rendered the outside' is good and quite Buildhubby.

Ferdinand

On 31/08/2022 at 22:11, Omnibuswoman said:

Ps It was £1.7million in the end, so equidistant between @pocsterand @Thorfun’s guesstimates 👏👏👏👏👏

One suspects that that 1.7 mil would not stand up under oath.

I'd guestimate that it is more like £2.5 million.

I'll be streaming the last Tory party hustings first, not having watched any of the others, so I have some idea what La Truss is actually promising to do.

11 hours ago, pocster said:

Not watched it . Don’t need to . He muffed mccloud for sure .

What's this new transitive verb "to muff"? Perhaps I should not be asking, as I can think of lots of meanings unsuitable for Buildhub. Rather like the name I have of an online cycling acquaintance who is known as "mungecrundle" - which means nothing but sounds like an escapee from Rab C Nesbit's youthful love life.

I'm aware of the intransitive version, but what is the other?

Or did you mean "miff"?

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

One suspects that that 1.7 mil would not stand up under oath.

I'd guestimate that it is more like £2.5 million.

Some of the numbers that get bandied around on Grand Designs (both the estimates at the start and the answer to "so how much did it actually cost?" at the end) are insane.

There was that one on the Isle of Wight where they budgeted something like £800k for an absolutely massive 6-bedroom house. The estimate included a pool, a ground source heat pump, Swiss (I think) 3G windows, and extensive stone cladding (plus that other odd hand-made cladding that took forever to make and install).

They admitted to an actual cost of over £2m. 

• Like 1