Just when I thought I’d seen it all.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I am not sure what the point is.  I ca see a hole in the outer leaf of a wall and a lintel or floor plank where it looks like someone has tried to core through?

There was an extractor fan 'fitted' there. I guess whoever tried to core drill for the extractor  hit the lintel then decided to fit it anyway.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I still don't get it. The bit with the motor is normally inside.  Was this just a plastic vent, or a fully wired in mechanical extract?

Yes, and the cocks fitted that on the internal wall........presumably after coring out and realising there was a Catnic in the way! The round hole in the outside skin of brickwork is where the 100mm through-wall vent duct and plastic grille were then fitted ( doing the square root of SFA ) to hide the fcuk up. They clearly knew they'd dropped a bollock as there are some small holes drilled so they could get a whiff of air through, plus what looks like a failed ( or more likely abandoned ) attempt to drill a 50mm hole with a bi-metal holesaw.  

Probably limited to the number of tools they could fit in the saddle-bag :S 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yes, and the cocks fitted that on the internal wall........presumably after coring out and realising there was a Catnic in the way! The round hole in the outside skin of brickwork is where the 100mm through-wall vent duct and plastic grille were then fitted ( doing the square root of SFA ) to hide the fcuk up. They clearly knew they'd dropped a bollock as there are some small holes drilled so they could get a whiff of air through, plus what looks like a failed ( or more likely abandoned ) attempt to drill a 50mm hole with a bi-metal holesaw.  

Probably limited to the number of tools they could fit in the saddle-bag :S 

Great post and I really couldn’t have worded it better. Exactly that. I think they glued the 2 grills on and ran. 😂😂

To be a little bit fair. The lintel had about 450 mm bearing so when they started drilling they wouldn’t have expected that. This highlights the need to have accurate plans on new builds. And the golden phrase ‘every action has a reaction ‘ 

7 hours ago, Canski said:

To be a little bit fair. The lintel had about 450 mm bearing so when they started drilling they wouldn’t have expected that. This highlights the need to have accurate plans on new builds. And the golden phrase ‘every action has a reaction ‘ 

Nah, you always stick a skinny 6 / 8mm drill bit through before coring out, through the repairable cement ( pointing ) to see if the lintel fitted was oversized. Some lintels are ‘too big’ because that was the one that was available on the day of purchase.

Always mark the hole out but then, first, drill a test hole the side nearest the opening to ascertain that you’ll defo miss the end of the lintel. 2nd year apprentice stuff tbh.

• Like 1

The house next to us, the owner / builder realised on the morning BC was coming for final inspection, that he had not fitted an extractor in the utility room.  So he quickly cut a hole in the plasterboard and fitted a fan.  It is not wired and not connected to outside.  BC did not notice and it has been like that for 19 years through 2 changes of owner and still doing nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/08/2022 at 13:10, Canski said:

decided to fit it anyway.

Those of us who can handle a  tape measure, don't always appreciate that transferring a position from inside to outside ca be tricky, involving logic and sums. and then a cautious pilot hole.

That is my guess of the issue that was then abandoned.

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Those of us who can handle a  tape measure, don't always appreciate that transferring a position from inside to outside ca be tricky, involving logic and sums. and then a cautious pilot hole.

That is my guess of the issue that was then abandoned.

Measuring is the most complex task for sure . Transferring a measurement for outside to inside is indeed impossible. I know I’ve tried it . 1.2m on the outside ; inside it becomes 1.5m . It’s an impossible task 😞

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I often see plumbers who drill from the inside.  No pilot or careful drilling, just straight through for an overflow, condense or blow off pipe, spalling the brick face or render as they go.

Thanks for at least calling me a plumber !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 14/08/2022 at 17:18, saveasteading said:

Those of us who can handle a  tape measure, don't always appreciate that transferring a position from inside to outside ca be tricky,

What you need is a small directional radioactive source and stick it to the wall, then go outside and find it with a Gieger counter 🙂

Or perhaps not.

3 hours ago, Temp said:

What you need is a small directional radioactive source and stick it to the wall, then go outside and find it with a Gieger counter 🙂

When we were looking for the position of a blockage in an underground storm water pipe I made a gadget that created a really big 1mHz magnetic field and a tuned receiver with an LED crossbar display. It could pinpoint the end of the drain rod we taped it to to within about 75mm when the vertical separation was around 0.75m. The error through a wall at half that depth would surely be small enough for this kind of thing. I must dig it out and test it properly. I did originally try it out through walls inside the house including one that had a steel radiator on one side. Against my intuition it still worked in this situation although I didn't pay attention to accuracy.

• Like 1