Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

8 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

:D you extravagant bugger, 

but only 2 you say......... it's on!

It's 3 actually, one over the wall hung wc. Slight faux pas there as I brought the wc boxing in a bit high for this tile layout! Just dawned on me actually that SWMBO possibly wants the pockets done in mosaics. So is that just the rear of the pocket or the sides too? I'll have to ask her but she does dither! :ph34r:

2018-04-14_08-52-26

Other than multi tooling out that bit where the lhs Cobra is sitting I might just go with a two tile high pocket rather than 3.

Make that FOUR pockets as there's the bfo one alongside the bath!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

I need to cut this Aqua Panel into long strips, smallish rectangles etc.

Scoring and breaking is a no no. Even outside I don't fancy using a grinding disc because of the dust. The ideal would be a circular saw with appropriate blade. 

In the absence of that thinking these jig saw blades @Nickfromwales put me on to. Used them so far only to cut out for the flush box.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Sabre+%26+Jigsaw+Blades/sd2581/Tungsten+Carbide+Grit+Jigsaw+Blades/p67688

Against a fence I guess and have at it!

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Cheap handsaw does it for me. 

Or a gumtree circ saw that is bought for the job and binned as the bearings will be munched by the end of it ..!!

I've a "used once to try" circular bought from Makro for peanuts many moons ago, £9.99 rings a bell. It was so live and springy I just never touched it again. Maybe press that into service...though it was for a "one day" table saw project.

Edited by Onoff

21 hours ago, Onoff said:

Got to decide whether to have the 3-way valve central to one tile or on the centre of two (not that it's going on the mitred bit):

20180413_184035

20180413_184053

As the hose outlet is coming out centre of a tile it might pay I think to go with the second option and line up the centre control with the hose outlet. It'd put the centre control at about 1m from the floor which "feels" alright (along with thinking ahead :( ).

You are missing the whole point of a separate valve.  Put it there and when you turn it on your arm gets drenched in stone cold water before the hot reaches the shower.

You want the controls on a different wall so you can turn it on, dry, and not get wet until it is warm water flowing

bathroom_8.thumb.jpg.8a6ef34c094c9e367a1eaaf062381560.jpg

Don't forget to drill a BIG hole for the thermostatic mixer, so big the plate only just covers it

shower_valve.thumb.jpg.a4ec28da2294a85a4d2ed7d5aa862908.jpg

And for access to the filters I am going to have to cut between the big hole and the smaller holes with the multi tool

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

You are missing the whole point of a separate valve.  Put it there and when you turn it on your arm gets drenched in stone cold water before the hot reaches the shower.

You want the controls on a different wall so you can turn it on, dry, and not get wet until it is warm water flowing

bathroom_8.thumb.jpg.8a6ef34c094c9e367a1eaaf062381560.jpg

Don't forget to drill a BIG hole for the thermostatic mixer, so big the plate only just covers it

shower_valve.thumb.jpg.a4ec28da2294a85a4d2ed7d5aa862908.jpg

And for access to the filters I am going to have to cut between the big hole and the smaller holes with the multi tool

Read the first paragraph! :) It's going WAY over to the right near the window. Just showed it there as it's the only place I've a representation of tiles! 

Don't delete any photos - I'm shamelessly copying you! 

22 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

2 pockets would be an extravagance!

If people insist on bathrooms that look like the inside of an Elizabethan Dovecote, then there is price to be paid in blood and treasure...

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If people insist on bathrooms that look like the inside of an Elizabethan Dovecote, then there is price to be paid in blood and treasure...

I bet an Elizabethan Dovecote hasn't got a magazine loading loo roll holder! 

(Mind you, nor have I yet...)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

(Lowered tone warning to delicate blossoms)

Magazine loo roll dispensers - presumably something like the LRB - were not necessary in a pre-loo-roll era when no one wore knickers or underpants.

In 1562 your bathroom would have been finished by now since it would comprise a duckpond and a wall.

I just managed to lower the tone on @Onoff ! Woohoo.

Edited by Ferdinand

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

In 1562 your bathroom would have been finished by now since it would comprise a duckpond and a wall.

If @Onoff doesn't have a loo in his bathroom maybe he's already using the duckpond? ;)

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

For some reason I read that as a magazine dispenser by the loo.