Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

Silly I'm sure but I couldn't resist a comforting smear of CT1. This was the joint where I could only do half way around with my extra fillet of PVC filler. It's getting foamed in shortly and I'll carry on packing the studs.

2017-07-17_10-50-33

Fingers & everything else crossed!

Attention next to the 32mm hole in the cistern and take a duct into the loft for future extraction duties! Going to do that in solvent weld.

The 9mm freebie ply seems to be working out alright. 150mm centres p'board screws with the odd "miss":

2017-07-19_11-49-13

To get clearance over the horizontal soil I've brought the strips down as far as:

20170719_225022

There'll be a strip of 9mm along the bottom sole plate of the stud wall too where it's marked 1395. Then some low expansion foam behind to resist / cushion any "push". 

Just got to decide what orientation to use this board to cover the Geberit frame. Not quite wide enough to go vertical without an additional strip up the left:

20170719_224805

20170719_224723

This is where I get asked why I didn't do the whole wall! :) Tbh doing the whole wall I'd have wanted marine ply so cost I guess. (Coupled with a big side of inexperience).

It would have made figuring/marking out for the shower pockets easier maybe having one big wall. NOT looking forward to doing that and figuring how the tiles will sit though I have a certain Welshman's words of wisdom to follow!

Pointless doing the whole wall tbh, and more to cut out for the pockets. Lay that panel horizontally and do two full passes if it's long enough, and you'll have enough gap under the cistern to put some off cuts in as catchers to stitch the two boards together where they but together. 

Freeby ply looking good, and within budget :)

Ill post some pics later of pocket shelves WiP ;)

• Like 1

Frame the tiled wall first with your trim of choice. Then tile the back of the pocket, and don't let that set hard before you tile the bottom of it. You have to be able to slide the rear tiles left / right a little to match the grout line running through, so these need to be done in the same set and then left to go off. 

IMG_6041.thumb.JPG.212c9ea87652779810f4dbd1e872721b.JPG

Cut outs for accent lighting already done and cable in ?

IMG_6042.thumb.JPG.ebbe6566014a3cee2756189c63dab1a9.JPG

Left and right hand cuts go in next. These pics show the trim detail a bit better. I glue these on with mitre bond and activator spray. Don't use to much glue, and keep it away from the face edge or it oozes out of the gap. Less is more. 

IMG_6043.thumb.JPG.d307e68be5c49a09e127cc16f6549b59.JPG

IMG_6044.thumb.JPG.2906019e9869e00170407fcd558d44ff.JPG%

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

image.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Arise.......you are worthy......

Just slow xDxDxD

Some impressive work there!

My pockets will be illuminated with LED strips. I'm mulling over arched tops to the pockets...:ph34r:

I've printed out your setting out "how to post" from 11 April and pinned it to the wall!

51 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Arched tops? You'll have to mosaic those. 

The 2026 deadline is already slipping :D

Do you reckon the tile trim would curve with a bit of gentle heat?

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

What radius? 

You are mad arching them....you are aware of that, yes? ??

Mad? Most here may concur... :) 

I really fancy a lit arch behind the wc now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

an arch would look nice. :ph34r:

If SWMBO agrees it shall be done!

I like the whole symmetrical, lit alter aspect of the idea.

"This is my church
This is where I heal my hurts"

:)

• Like 2

I've gone with 105, 50 and 17mm dia Starretts. Nothing's too tight but wondering if I should enlarge these a tad? Used the Aquapanel as a template so a bit rough. Came out alright considering I've had a couple. Looks better in the pics tbh. Not going to chance the circular saw though!

20170720_210946

20170720_210930

Maybe enlarge the stud holes at least:

20170720_211027

FFS 9_9 

Hes easily led ok, so pack it in you lot ✊

1 hour ago, jack said:

Arch it.

You wouldn't say that if you were tiling it :P

52 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Only if the glass is edge lit ...

Did that in a bathroom showroom once, only to find out that white LEDs through glass actually comes through green >:(  To pull that off you need to use Perspex. ;)  

xD Nice to be enriching so many sad lives!

Seriously though, the ply gets Sika bonded & screwed to the studs and blue frame. Over this will go the green VCL (this will cover the whole wall). Aquapanel gets put on behind the wc, just screwed to the timber. Then tiled. I can't then see that the wall mount wc will shift about and transfer to the board tiles but...

Hence the reason about enlarging the holes. I guess giving them all another 1/4" on the diameter wouldn't hurt.

One more thing, noise. I know encasing the horizontal soil pipe in expanding foam isn't doing much and that Rockwool would be possibly better but thinking for in the big deep cavity behind the Geberit frame. This was an old doorway before. Loose fill with something? Polystyrene packing chips?

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

[...]

One more thing, noise. I know encasing the horizontal soil pipe in expanding foam isn't doing much and that Rockwool would be possibly better but thinking for in the big deep cavity behind the Geberit frame. This was an old doorway before. Loose fill with something? Polystyrene packing chips?

For the very worst of reasons I have 10 bags (1 tonne rubble bags) of Celotex, all in 250ml blocks going free. Put them through a chipper.

I'd like to think they will not become landfill.