Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So.....would a wrap or two of good quality PVC leccy tape "melt" into any gap? Just a thought!

EDIT: Went with the eBay one.

No, as PVC tape contains plasticisers (same as in cable) to make it soft, the result would be a soft adhesive, plus the risk that the plasticisers may well stop a good bond from forming.

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

No, as PVC tape contains plasticisers (same as in cable) to make it soft, the result would be a soft adhesive, plus the risk that the plasticisers may well stop a good bond from forming.

Fair point.

Though there's PVC tape and PVC tape. Pet hate is switched lives marked with a big chunk of cheap, sticky red tape that's gone all gooey or mods under the dash where someone has redone the loom in cheap, nasty black tape.

Just now, Onoff said:

Fair point.

Though there's PVC tape and PVC tape. Pet hate is switched lives marked with a big chunk of cheap, sticky red tape that's gone all gooey or mods under the dash where someone has redone the loom in cheap, nasty black tape.

B&Q sell "electrical tape" that is especially designed to turn into a sticky mess within 6 months................

The odd thing is that Screwfix (who are B&Q in disguise) sell pretty reasonable electrical tape that doesn't seem to go soft and goey.

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I used to DJ, so can provide some hands-in-the-air music to throw some shapes to. ??????

I bet you can.....

"I was having a quiet pint with the wife, this chap comes in, .........It was the freshest move I've ever seen,
like he was floating on air. I dunno what came over us, I just got up and danced with him. I've never seen anything like it in my life"

12.-Utah-Saints-Something-Good-08-Running-Man.gif.8efe170f8ce720ddd4b43ba953444046.gif

xD

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not in onoffs bath, I'm pretty sure of that. ?

I'm sad now, happy thoughts please people. ?

Not true. He may have been asphyxiated by the growing layer of dust ;) 

I was going to post a link to RedTube to help your happiness but then I remembered you are a mod ;) 

Well.....I might as well put the two 67.5deg & two 11.25deg solvent weld bends back on eBay 'cos in pairs or using one of each I can't make the connection between the Geberit pipe (well, Peter's donated 90/110 elbow) and horizontal, brown soil. :( Swinging past two Screwfixs' later to get a couple of 135deg solvent jobbies. Will have spent about £50 trying to figure this joint. Hopefully these or some combo with what I've already got will sort it.

All to avoid rubber seals behind the wall. Peace of mind I hope!

(I knew I should have drawn it in 3D on CAD first! :) )

Edited by Onoff

At last! Two 135o solvent weld fittings should give the 50mm offset. So it'll be the one rubber seal where the black 110mm goes in then 3 solvent joints to the brown soil. At least I now know how far back to cut the soil. That paste came too:

SAM_5045

SAM_5046

.....and the bits "for stock" :ph34r:

SAM_5047

42 minutes ago, Onoff said:

In the absence of any MEK for cleaning these pvc joints before solvent welding I've got the choice of:

Multi Solve

White Spirit

Meths 

Vodka :)

Meths best?

Multisolve is fine. Meths has limited cleaning ability. But, drink the Vodka!! :) 

6 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Multisolve is fine. Meths has limited cleaning ability. But, drink the Vodka!! :) 

I haven't drunk vodka since the Great Vodka/Bacardi/Lager all in a pint glass(es) incident of '87 on The Isle of Sheppey.

Last used the voddie for getting ticks out of the cat!

EDIT: Think @Nickfromwales said MS can leave a greasy residue whereas meths is sometimes better

Edited by Onoff

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

I haven't drunk vodka since the Great Vodka/Bacardi/Lager all in a pint glass(es) incident of '87 on The Isle of Sheppey.

Last used the voddie for getting ticks out of the cat!

EDIT: Think @Nickfromwales said MS can leave a greasy residue whereas meths is sometimes better

Im not sure getting your cat to drink Vodka is a good idea??

Hmmm so is their marketing spell bolocks then? 

• Removes adhesives, sealants, oil, grease, silicon, wax, tar, paraffin, printing ink etc.
  • Leaves no oil film.
  • Fast, thorough and safe degreasing and cleaning.
  • Can be used on painted surfaces, vinyl, glass,rubber and plastics.

Edited by Barney12

12 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Im not sure getting your cat to drink Vodka is a good idea??

Hmmm so is their marketing spell bolocks then? 

• Removes adhesives, sealants, oil, grease, silicon, wax, tar, paraffin, printing ink etc.
  • Leaves no oil film.
  • Fast, thorough and safe degreasing and cleaning.
  • Can be used on painted surfaces, vinyl, glass,rubber and plastics.

The cat used to get large ticks burrowing into his head just in front of his ears. Seemingly if you just pull them out the bits that "lock in" stay there and become infected. We used to soak the areas with vodka on a cotton bud then tweezer them out intact. The byproduct was that the cat would then wash himself.....slightly sleepy cat thereafter. Once did one the same way on the dog's nose, left a damn great hole!

It was @Nickfromwales on Jan 7 suggested meths after the Multisolve:

And @PeterStarck reckoned meths over white spirit around the same time due to leaving a residue.

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup, but only M-S if there's any excess crap to remove, like old silicone etc :)

If it's a relatively clean pipe then Meths will do the job on its own. 

Ta. Got to shorten the soil roughly to "X". More of a worry is the expanding foam on the pipe though tbh it's not adhered to the pipe that well...if at all. Assuming just a good sanding will get rid of that. I'll MS then meths everything TWICE as I might have got some silicon spray on something where I've been experimenting with push fit.

2017-02-25_08-50-55