Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

4 hours ago, Steptoe said:

I tell thee,

Cut the flag off the 2nd trim and gripfill,  xD

Possibly. Was even thinking to try and plane off the opposing lips. That could go VERY wrong!

I don't think it has to be "out" by much to end up looking cr@p & have a visible gap between the two quadrants. @Nickfromwales said to (2-part) mitre bond which I'm a big fan of but not sure of my ability to do this perfectly neatly over a +1.8m length.

Mulling making a long jig so I maybe secure one piece and spray the activator along the length then stick the second trim on that starting from one end. Or do I use say a white CT1, Sika or anti mould silicon which would give me wriggle room to get the edges nice and butt AND fill any potential gap.

Edited by Onoff
Swear filter!

Use clothes pegs 30mm apart and line up the trims. Run some insulation tape over the joint to stop any excess bond from escaping and stitch it with spot welds of mitre bond. Wait 5 mins and remove pegs. Repeat for the gaps in between any shes a good 'un. ? 

Edit to add : obviously you'll need to cut the mitres on the front strip and assemble this during the tiling process as and when practicable.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Use clothes pegs 30mm apart and line up the trims. Run some insulation tape over the joint to stop any excess bond from escaping and stitch it with spot welds of mitre bond. Wait 5 mins and remove pegs. Repeat for the gaps in between any shes a good 'un. ? 

Edit to add : obviously you'll need to cut the mitres on the front strip and assemble this during the tiling process as and when practicable.  

See, this is why you get paid the big bucks! :)

I was wondering how many little spring clamps I had.

Cheers

OK, the jury's out on these LED strips. I think we're sitting in the cheap seats! Set on a single colour that'll come back on that setting when you power up and they're great. The one program I wanted, the gradual fade in / out thru the colour range can be a bit jerky between some colours. Enough to annoy me whilst trying to relax in the bath! Needs to be a smoother transition.

I may of course be doing the product a disservice as I've bastardised it with the DIY 7-core extension. Running the sensor cores along side the DC lines might be causing an issue? I'll have a go with another set not messed around with. Still it's pretty good for <£10. Worth getting a set just to play with IMO.

The little white box is interesting; a 3-core ribbon to the sensor then a 4-core flex coming out of it. According to the pcb inside, the 4-core does Vcc then R, G & B aka "RGB". So the flex from the white box goes:

Vcc - Black core 

R - White core

G - Green core

B - Red core

Easy enough to ditch the short white lead and go direct to the pcb with an extension cable.

BUT the original short lead to the lights is done "properly" with the cable cores matching the RGB colours. 

Anyway, I just quickly tacked the extrusion up and pulled the 7-core thru the flexible conduit.

Conduit inside the dwarf wall, along the side and round the back. Just coiled up in the bath recess at the mo.

20170112_215959

Tbh I'd like it dimmer and more "subtle":

20170112_215419

The conduit is slightly over length possibly. To be trimmed to suit the tile depth:

20170112_220057

20170112_220031

20170112_220040

Video to come! I tried one on the phone but the quality's naff so I'll do on the tablet later as it was too late last night.

Of course it's all got to come out for tiling! :)

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Sign for your bathroom door at the end:

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=48227034

Liking it!

The overall shape is easy enough out of a bit of MDF. I'll probably print the lettering onto a piece of paper, glue to the mdf then carefully route out. As for the raised relief work....."pipe it" with No Nails or similar?

;)

Edited by Onoff

Taken on the boy's Motorola phone but difficult to do the issue justice. It looks better than the video shows generally and not as "glaring".

About 10 seconds from the end when it goes from dark red to white there's a flicker. 

I'll maybe try again when the Samsung tablet is charged up. No diffuser fitted as yet so that may help. I've also tried another "genuine" PSU from one of these kits and it makes no difference. Also tried another strip of lights and it's the same.

Tbh the wife is quite happy with it. Maybe be it's me being pedantic.

VID_20170114_124552171

Just adding a perimeter lip with 20mm of 12mm ply. Glued and stainless panel pinned about every 75mm:

20170114_160715

The idea is that the bath lip will be outboard of the ply lip. The tiles will abut the ply near enough and the whole thing sat on a good thick mastic bead:

20170114_160744

I've also screwed the marine ply deck down with stainless screws. The one question mark is the use of D3 Gorilla glue throughout! Next a tanking coat of "something", tba!

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Maybe be it's me being pedantic.

PMSL

You don't think ?!? xD

On 13/01/2017 at 04:23, Onoff said:

The overall shape is easy enough out of a bit of MDF. I'll probably print the lettering onto a piece of paper, glue to the mdf then carefully route out. As for the raised relief work....."pipe it" with No Nails or similar?

FFS........

Ill buy you the bastard thing if you hurry up and get some tiles on. ?

??????

• Like 3

I do believe I'm ready for a test filling of the bath!

SAM_4901

Plan then is:

1) Remove the removable half of the bath. Brackets just inside the long side panel:

SAM_4897

There's also a screw to the floor batten at the foot of the bath which will also have a removable panel. Also via this panel, 3 st/st screws from below (need trimming):

SAM_4904

SAM_4900

2) Slide the bath in an TEMPORARILY fit the waste relying on the rubber washers around the waste.

3) Fill up the bath and check for leaks around the jets and solvent waste.

4) Test run the pump and light.

Now the tiling questions, apologies if already asked:

Do I half fill or fill the bath? Something to do with checking how it sits? I assume when I've filled it I can gauge the gap I'll have all round between the underside of the bath lip and the ply deck.

Should I look to tile the alcove first where the LED strip is going? Thinking leaning across once the bath is in will be difficult.

What tanking liquid do I prime the ply with?

At the back, behind where your head will be this is only moisture resistant plasterboard. Should I prime it with something too or does it need some sort of tanking "membrane":

SAM_4905

So.....if it all doesn't leak remove the bath and refit, properly sticking the waste with Sika.

Erm.....that's as far as I've figured! :)

Edited by Onoff

A milestone for me. I finally fitted the trap and overflow to the bath. :)

Followed @Nickfromwales instructions to the letter though my thought's on a "smear" of Sika I'm thinking differ.

20170120_185711

When I've done sinks in the past (and maybe one bath years ago?) the rubber has never really fitted the hole properly and it's looked naff with Boss white of whatever was avaialable. I ditched one washer as he said and loaded with Sika EBT. The top side has come out really well IMO.

20170120_185726

Removed the excess with a wet wipe which was another top tip and I didn't get that messy!

The less visible areas.....?

20170120_185740

20170120_185749

AND I didn't turn the trap as I did it all up!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

Trying to pluck up the courage to go into the unheated hip end of the roof to run hot and cold to the bath. New pipes come up just in front of the coil of coax top left. Available hot and colds are bottom right where they disappear under the dormer 9"x6" either side of the branch off the white tee.  (Those three feed the upstairs en suite basin.

SAM_3401

(Sad when I've been working 300' up all week without issue but that, when in the sun was actually very pleasant).

Now back to the reality of how bad the existing pipe runs really are and how much heat I must be losing en route to the bathroom. 

Best clear some space in there & get that heater on for a couple of hours!

HTF did I manage to get the one pipe slightly too short? :(

20170121_134922

New hot run:

20170121_183659

Little snakey bend from new to old:

20170121_183743

Haven't even got to this mess yet, can see it but need to remove the partial floor above in the eaves:

20170121_183812

HOWEVER.....

20170121_185005

Just got to sort the cold tomorrow and it's bath time! :)

Cheated with the short pipe:

20170122_170756

Feeds to bath in and working. Still to insulate.

20170122_170711

Ends in compressions to allow connection to the "old" for now. Should look a lot tidier once I sort the wastes.