Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

Is that laminate flooring?

If so I would be inclined to cut the laminate flooring and just install floor tiles straight onto the timber floor of the shed, there will be no or minimum step from the laminate to the tiles and so it will feel like the hearth is not intruding into the floor space.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

If so I would be inclined to cut the laminate flooring and just install floor tiles straight onto the timber floor of the shed, there will be no or minimum step from the laminate to the tiles and so it will feel like the hearth is not intruding into the floor space.

Hi ProD, it's lino over the t&g timber flooring. Is that laminate? Im not sure. But easy to take up which is what Ive planned:

Ive got my 5x2 timber today, to make my plinth frame tmrw. Ply top then slabs on for a hearth.. will be 7" H or so.

Its stupidly low as you can see as it is, so defo needs a step up. 

Those interior walls btw.. terribly waterstained, so a major effort to get painted like so!

Thanks, Zooter

18 hours ago, ProDave said:

I understand what your idea is here now/ clever, so the hearth flush with floor. Lino tho so not laminate. If I don't make hearth too big it shouldn't intrude too much, big enough to be safe enough tho.

thx zh

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I understand what your idea is here now/ clever, so the hearth flush with floor. Lino tho so not laminate. If I don't make hearth too big it shouldn't intrude too much, big enough to be safe enough tho.

thx zh

That's the plan.  we did that in our last house, set the tiled hearth exactly level with the wooden floor of the rest of the room so you could walk on the hearth without noticing it, yet it performed it's function.

I seem to recall BC mumbling something about there should be a step but never made an issue of it.

38 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I seem to recall BC mumbling something about there should be a step but never made an issue of it

I have a pal who experienced this. They made him put that black and yellow warning tape down round the edge. Easily removed though....

On 28/01/2022 at 10:52, jamieled said:

I have a pal who experienced this. They made him put that black and yellow warning tape down round the edge. Easily removed though....

BC aren't to know about this job/ no need them aware of it.

Here's my base..

374DA8C0-AFE0-446A-A90C-2557092F2BFE.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Looking good zoot ?, you have come a long way.

Hi John. One nog's a fraction not straight. The shame. But making up for it with a marine ply top! 

If I go pave slabs ontop, seems likely/ cheapest.. would it be mortar to use on the ply? Fwiw Ive pva sealed the ply top.

Thanks zoot.

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

Which one though, many are intumescent sealers but not all adhesives. I'd say this perhaps:

https://www.toolstation.com/ac95-intumescent-fire-acoustic-sealant-adhesive/p59088?

Hi there Onoff. This stuff is a different idea, Ive obviously not heard of it.

What I have in mind now, is same tiles as my porch/ 1" thick jobs. Will save me £20 on 4 pave slabs which won't look too nice. Im one short but will have to compromise.

A faff of a job grouting etc which I hate. But with new this idea in mind, would it be usual way, tile adhesive/ grout onto the ply?

Thanks, zh

My idea for the intumescent adhesive was to use it to butt big slabs together, with this stuff along the slab edges where they meet. 

Can't see how you can not grout between quarry type tiles if you use them. As for sticking them to ply I'd use an adhesive like No Nails, tile spacers then grout. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

My idea for the intumescent adhesive was to use it to butt big slabs together, with this stuff along the slab edges where they meet. 

Can't see how you can not grout between quarry type tiles if you use them. As for sticking them to ply I'd use an adhesive like No Nails, tile spacers then grout. 

Great that's a plan, ie no nails & grout.. mind you now can possibly use 4 old terracotta 440mm pavers, but my quarry tiles would look better, a visual link to my stove hearth in main room, & porch too.. but infuriatingly I'm 1 short. 

Whatever I use,  I lastly need to consider how to cover the front 3 timber edges. Im really a little big with the hearth as it is (800 x 800 the back two long sides) so I dont want to add any thickness of ' cladding ' to these 3 edges.

I just need to finish off these edges ok enough. Any ideas? Tannalised timber of course. Thx zh

11 hours ago, joe90 said:

Same as floor? Or fill and paint same as walls ?

Good points, choice as simple as I guess.

Ok Ive now got a new idea to make this easier ( annoyingly 1 quarry tile short = a compromised job if I use these).

Ive found some 10"sq normal thickness tiles here. Enough to do the hearth top -and- cover the 3x upright faces/ sides. Neat look.

So as my timber/ ply frame is solid as heck.. can I just go familiar way, tile adhesive on the ply & grout?

Ah just thinking though: Would standard tiles actually be sufficient for a stove hearth-? 

Thanks zoot.

On 30/01/2022 at 20:25, Onoff said:

Just miss out one tile dead centre at the back perhaps?

Or...I could 3D print you up a mould that you could cast a plaque with the date in or something...as a feature and have it at the front...

That's generous Onoff thanks. Yes missing out a tile centre back... hmm I think this is the way. 

You see Im wondering if my alternate idea, using standard thickness tiles (8 mm or so) which I found enough of here & teracotta couloured... might not be suitable from a heat pov.

The quarry porch ones Im 1 short of, are much thicker giving me the ideal heat barrier,  plus the added height I want too.

Hi chaps, back onto the tiling to do onto my marine ply.

Could someone remind me what I could do, to clean off this ( rock solid stubborn) black staining on my quarry tiles?

If it's damn expensive, then just for say 5... it wouldn't be worth it. Is there any possible 'cheap' way to get then presentable?

Thanks, zoot.

96073229-9A29-4203-A681-E3BF1B56B670.jpeg

19 hours ago, Onoff said:

Put in dishwasher. Or simply soak one in in some washing powder in hot water. Report back. 

Dishwasher?! We haven't got such things out here yet. ( we being me & imaginary friend ).

I only had vinegar & sandpaper. It sort of worked!

Ok tiles all cut. Now can I just use a cement mortar for the bed/ adhesive layer? Im sure my marine ply is solid enough/ no flex at all. I just bought the wrong " nails " tube stuff it seems/ crap, so I need to crack on. 

Mortar is all i have: heavy brick tiles mind you, outside pretty frosty.. not such a bad idea?

I have grout for afters.

Thanks, zoot.

Edited by zoothorn

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

What did you buy and why do you think it is crap ..??

Its called "151 hard as nails". Not "no nails". Its got crap reviews ' wont stick anything ' etc.

Peter Im reading up that quarry tiles are better laid on mortar, building site info etc. 3:1 with a tiddle of antifrost plasticiser-?