Mvhr noise

Pocster

It’s not noisy but the variable whirl of the fans is beginning to bug me ( it’s like SWMBO constantly talking )

Decibel in the cupboard 55 . Directly outside with door closed 38

So I assume the sound is leaking from gaps around the door . What’s the best way to insulate against sound along the door opening ? .Also as a 2 door cupboard the gap between each door ???

B284F0A1-39AE-40BD-87BF-50C3FA1E05B7.jpeg

E10F189C-8C2D-4349-B418-2D3C8308222A.jpeg

29 minutes ago, nod said:

Hope my wife doesn’t read this 

Noise was her argument 2 That stopped me installing on our last build ?

Mine is installed in the loft, hung from the rafters and it cannot be heard unless on boost ?

• Thanks 1

You could temporarily tape the door gaps up to see if it reduced the noise enough, but I think it's likely the noise will still get though the doors.

Have you got enough room between the unit and the door to box the unit in and acoustically insulate? - With the added complication that the boxing needs an opening to change the filters, or needs to be easily removed for servicing the MVHR.

You could try sticking acoustic foam on the inside of the cupboard doors, overlapping the gap. If it works make something more permanent or, if you are like me, leave it until you have finished everything else.....

• Haha 1

Foam egg shells on the back of the door? Has it been cleaned recently? Try moving blankets to dampen sound or more radically a noise cancelling system (can't find any off the shelf though only ones like Quiet Bubble - Silentium). Bulk up door / draught strips as suggested. Reduce fan speed / prevent boosting but that reduces effectiveness. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IanR said:

You could temporarily tape the door gaps up to see if it reduced the noise enough, but I think it's likely the noise will still get though the doors.

Have you got enough room between the unit and the door to box the unit in and acoustically insulate? - With the added complication that the boxing needs an opening to change the filters, or needs to be easily removed for servicing the MVHR.

Maybe . I did think of that .

Might try some ‘rape’ as a test but expect to fail ….

38db is plenty noisey.

After my sewage treatrment tank noise issue, i can imagine having anything like this in the house.

Am i just sensitive to noise? I assume most are living with some level of background hum?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

38db is plenty noisey.

After my sewage treatrment tank noise issue, i can imagine having anything like this in the house.

Am i just sensitive to noise? I assume most are living with some level of background hum?

I can hear our sewage treatment plant. It annoys me! Hopefully I'll tackle it this year.

I did a post about silencing our MVHR. It was very successful. Wouldn't be without it now. Horizontal rain and 8deg here all day. 700w heater's been on since about 6pm. House is 20 deg. I'll give it the full 2000w beans before go to bed. 

Door seals on the doors, including a dropper seal, should make a difference. Soundstop do a dropper seal for about £60 which looks decent. Lorient make one with a floor plate that provides an even better seal. As will sticking a bunch of insulating material on back of doors.

• Thanks 1

I would first try a blanket over and around the noisy box. If that works at all, make it prettier and use some soft absorbent material and some dense.

Of course check that this won't set it on fire/close off vents etc.

Perhaps a solid box around it, lined with foam and stuffed with rockwool.

Plus check whether the noise is coming from vibration (which can be fixed) or inbuilt in the mechanism.

• Like 1

I am very sensitive to noise, but have no issues with ours (Mitsubishi) located in the plant room next to the main bedroom. 

When the MVHR is on boost, you hear some noise from the vents, but you don't run it on boost when sleeping.  Ours only has manual control so you push a button to get a timed boost when showering.

You mention the fan speed changing?  could the issue being it is on some form of automatic control e.g. humidity and that is boosting the speed more often than you would like?  I would not personally be in a hurry to have ours on automatic control.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I am very sensitive to noise, but have no issues with ours (Mitsubishi) located in the plant room next to the main bedroom. 

When the MVHR is on boost, you hear some noise from the vents, but you don't run it on boost when sleeping.  Ours only has manual control so you push a button to get a timed boost when showering.

You mention the fan speed changing?  could the issue being it is on some form of automatic control e.g. humidity and that is boosting the speed more often than you would like?  I would not personally be in a hurry to have ours on automatic control.

Yeah could be .

it reacts really quickly to humidity I.e you have a shower and within 5 seconds it boosts automatically . It’s on ‘low’ at night ( when I hear it most of course ) - the tone does change so assume it’s reacting to humidity. I did see that you can configure low/medium/high to whatever you want - but I’m reluctant to lower it to reduce noise and it’s ability to work correctly.

Originally it wasn’t planned to be in the mistresses bedroom , but you know … things change .

The biggest “ I’ve got an mvhr “ thing I noticed is zero condensation in bathroom/ensuite after a shower . The air is clear of that humid mist you usually get . Air in house always feels fresh ( if I turn it off for 12 hours , go out , come back , even mistress and SWMBO notice ) .

I will try sealing tape first . If that knocks 10db off I think that would be great .

Edited by pocster

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Open the window then. 

Don’t need to have mvhr . The switch in it may already function on rate of change rather than absolute. I have multi sensors in each room which also measure humidity linked to my HA 

So I can do whatever I want , so there !