Where is the kWh price heading in 2022?

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I have several different types:

- a Gaggia Classico,

- something from De Longhi called a Dinamica which is for lazy people,

- my second Aeropress (think the rubber perished on Aeropress 1),

- and a heavily engineered thing called a Handpresso that you operate like a bicycle pump.

Quite appropriately I take the last one out on the bike.

F

Obviously a good at energy saving, possibly not that good on money saving

8 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Slow cookers are brilliant. I use it all the time. When I worked and the kids were little (single dad) it was a huge time saver. Bit of prep the night before. Bung it all in during the morning rush of lost shoes and eat your breakfast and come home a meal ready to eat. They still complained about it of course 😂 

Of course!

That said, we had beef stroganoff in the slow cooker last night, and both of my fussy teenagers (one of whom generally hates anything "sloppy" likes stews or casseroles) wolfed it down.

54 minutes ago, jack said:

We've had one of these for at least a decade and never really used it that much in the past.

However, over the last few months my wife has started experimenting with it, and we've had some really tasty meals. Most of the time it's just a matter of dumping all the ingredients in and coming back a few hours later. It's a massive time saver.   

If they are so brilliant, why have I never seen any at work.

Much easier, quicker and less energy intensive ways to soften tough grizzle.

20 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Obviously a good at energy saving, possibly not that good on money saving

Well, since you asked the only luxury is probably the Handpresso.

1 - Aeropress. About £25, and fantastic value.

2 - The Gaggia was advertised about 8 years ago as "local collection only" from .. er .. Beverly, which limited the Ebay auction to about 0.1% of the population. ~£100. Then they turned out to be happy to post it.

2 - The De Longhi marketing strategy last year was to have 2-3 different models each month reduced by about 60% online and the rest more or less full price. Cue allegedly £930.machine for £399. Not cheap, but difficult to grumble. And it auto-froths beautifully.

I see that this month their largest discount is 45% off a £499 Magnifica machine at £265.

https://www.delonghi.com/en-gb

F

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

for £399

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Magnifica machine at £265

Just getting my morning coffee, £2.85.

Sitting on a comfy dead cow sofa, served by a very nice boy. And now I have the staff login for the interweb, a better connection than my 4G when I am on the promenade.

I did a small job this morning.  The customers house was sweltering.  19 degrees outside so no need for any heating, BUT the heating was on, all the radiators were hot each with a single wet towel on it drying, and most of the windows were open.

Some people do not have the faintest idea.

P.S it was sunny and a light breeze, a line in the garden would have dried those towels nicely.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Was having this conversation with someone I know yesterday.

They are going to fort out a £1000ish on some 'smart' panel heaters.

I showed them a A2AHP and the answer was. "but we want then radiators on the wall under the windows".

Pointed out that the heat emitters, which don't look so dissimilar to what they wanted, can be fitted in the same place.

There reply "we only need to get an electrician in, not a plumber".

They also think that an oil filled electric radiator uses less energy as it stays warm after it is switched off.

Why are people, who had the same school education as most of us, allowed to mingle in society and comment on things they know nothing about, and when challenged, get more stubborn.

I've been telling anyone who will listen (and is renovating their house) to put a heat pump in for ground floor ufh & hot water, and an air to air heat pump for the bedrooms.

Wish I'd done it that way. 

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

[Deleted my response because I'm genuinely not interested]

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

insurance risk in commercial premises of leaving unattended equipment energised

1 hour ago, George said:

I've been telling anyone who will listen (and is renovating their house) to put a heat pump in for ground floor ufh & hot water, and an air to air heat pump for the bedrooms.

Wish I'd done it that way. 

I am seriously considering it for upstairs. Will definitely use A2A for my insulated garage which is biggish at 10mx6m. My plan is to use it for storage during build then once complete split the space into a garage, workshop (with a folding wall between it and the garage) and a music room which I plan on building as an acoustically treated room inside the garage.  

41 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I have this vague recollection it was less than it takes to boil a kettle?

Do you man the power taken to run a kettle ~2.8 kW, or the energy to boil a kettle full of water ~0.16 kWh.

I had a quick look at the first 72 day of this year, daily mean of 16.3 kWh, then looked at the 72 days from June 1st, 3.1 kWh.  So 3.1 kWh/day for DHW and everything else (ish).

So to heat my 48 m2 house takes, on average 13.2 kWh/day.

72 days is 2448 hours [950.4 kWh] works out at a mean power of 423 W, or 9W/m2.

The mean room temperature was 19.2°C, mean external temperature 7.5°C, a delta of 11.7°C.

The mean room temperature is a little lower than I aim for [20°C], but the hourly profile is pretty good now [delaying the start of heating helps].

With my new draught proofing measure this year, I expect to see a reduction in usage and an increase in temperature to close to the target.

image.thumb.png.3bb934d3918620c453ce7fc38bf5e6d7.png

Below is a more detailed profile.

image.thumb.png.73ab7c9ad463591888f73c8e5a0e92af.png

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you man the power taken to run a kettle ~2.8 kW, or the energy to boil a kettle full of water ~0.16 kWh.

Not sure what I mean, I just recall @Gone West quoting a figure that was semi understandable / relatable to a thicko like me! It was impressive whatever it was. 

There's a discussion on another forum where the whole passive concept is taking a bit of a knocking by some who clearly don't understand. Just figured I'd chip in with something real world relatable. 

Quite funny really, comments like "Our friends have a passive House, it looks horrible". Then "You won't get permission to build one in the UK". As an aside there's gems on the lines of "The UK doesn't get enough sun for solar power". 

I just wish I was uneducated to the concept. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

I think you once quoted the average daily (hourly?) kW used in your old place for just heating, can you recall the figure? 

I remember the space heating requirement was 12kWh/m2a in PHPP and I've got a vague recollection that with a temperature difference of 30C it required an input of 1.14kW, but that might all be BS knowing what my memory is like these days. It's a pity we have to grow old.

6 minutes ago, Gone West said:

I remember the space heating requirement was 12kWh/m2a in PHPP and I've got a vague recollection that with a temperature difference of 30C it required an input of 1.14kW, but that might all be BS knowing what my memory is like these days. It's a pity we have to grow old.

Cheers...but that doesn't ring any bells! 😂 I'm sure you said something about only needing to run a small (2kW?) fan heater in there occasionally during the build, pre getting the Genvex up and running and that in the depths of winter.

Then there was some seemingly magical figure that made think wow along with being very jealous! 😂 Was on the lines of it took less energy to heat the whole house as it did a kettle, like half from memory. Was it per hour?

I remember it excluded your dhw requirements.

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Cheers...but that doesn't ring any bells! 😂 I'm sure you said something about only needing to run a small (2kW?) fan heater in there occasionally during the build, pre getting the Genvex up and running and that in the depths of winter.

Then there was some seemingly magical figure that made think wow along with being very jealous! 😂 Was on the lines of it took less energy to heat the whole house as it did a kettle, like half from memory. Was it per hour?

I remember it excluded your dhw requirements.

Someone needs to pull the other one.

teresting moves on the continent.

€65bn support package from Germany for its public.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-04/german-government-agrees-on-energy-relief-plan-worth-65-billion

Pro-rata that's about the equivalent of a £45bn package here to give the same support per pop.

Liquidity guarantees for power companies:

https://www.rferl.org/a/sweden-finland-energy-companies-guarantee/32018086.html

We'll see soon whether Fizz Liz is going to continue to deny support where it is most needed by adopting the wrong basic values for the time.

F

All they need do is delink the gas price from nuclear and renewables. At the moment the wholesale price of electricity is all based on gas generated electric.

Why should the tax payer support extra profits for generators where it costs no more to generate than it did prior to the gas price rise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

All they need do is delink the gas price from nuclear and renewables. At the moment the wholesale price of electricity is all based on gas generated electric.

Why should the tax payer support extra profits for generators where it costs no more to generate than it did prior to the gas price rise.

Top post.  You managed to say, clearly, in a few words what I waffled on about some time ago without making it clear.