Where is the kWh price heading in 2022?

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Agree !

Joe public I think likes to pretend it’s not really happening; bit like a politician. Winter is going to be crippling especially ( though not exclusively! ) for the poorest . 

I am a bit in that boat at the moment, having fixed for a year in February.  So I will miss the fun of the 80% increase in October and whatever January brings.  I hope the ensuing chaos and quite possibly civil unrest will mean by the time my fixed period ends at the end of February, "something" will have happened and I won't face trippling of fuel bills.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am a bit in that boat at the moment, having fixed for a year in February.  So I will miss the fun of the 80% increase in October and whatever January brings.  I hope the ensuing chaos and quite possibly civil unrest will mean by the time my fixed period ends at the end of February, "something" will have happened and I won't face trippling of fuel bills.

That's my hope as well.

I'm on 18p per unit until next June. 

Jumping ship from Bulb to Octopus was a luckily decision.

• Like 1

I've read a few reports of Gas producers ending long term (low price) supply contracts by paying the break fee, as the current price means it's worthwhile doing so. Is there a risk electricity generators could do the same?

It is rather scary yes. I haven’t told my other half as she’s away (dad died unexpectedly) but I think it puts the knackers on our self-build as I dread to think what the kit price will increase by if they pass the cost on to me. Have a meeting with them tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

having fixed for a year in February

I am paying for your energy.

You want civil unrest, rubbing our noses in it ain't going to help.

When Lizzy becomes PM, she will force all fixed term contracts to be abolished, and then make up the shortfall with your money.

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

We’re on page 25 . Can anyone post some good news ? ( big ask I know ! ) 😑

The originator of this thread has gone. That is good news.

Is the above good enough for you.

I would have hated to have bought an EV knowing it will cost 25p to travel a mile. Only costing me 15p.

Edited by SteamyTea

21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I would have hated to have bought an EV knowing it will cost 25p to travel a mile. Only costing me 15p.

Much better for the environment and people's health to use electric vehicles.

27 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

When Lizzy becomes PM, she will force all fixed term contracts to be abolished, and then make up the shortfall with your money.

No, that won't happened. The only occasion my price will change will be if the VAT rate is adjusted. Or my supplier Octopus goes bust. This is unlikely.

If the VAT rate is dropped to 0% then my contract will go down in price.

4 hours ago, LA3222 said:

I honestly think that the vast majority of Joe public seem to be unaware of just how bad things are likely to get over the next 6 months - it's almost like folks see the dots in isolation but haven't got to the point yet where they join them up mentally and have that 'oh (expletive deleted)' moment....

I am right there….. self employed-NEVER EVER CLAIMED ANY BENEFITS and am 50 - live a simple life on minimal income and make a few grand each year to put away….. have absolutely no idea how I can ramp up my income to match projected outgoings, admittedly I have  never watched the news in 10 years so have to take it as as comes but am assuming I will fall between the lines of any government help (as I got nothing during covid) but covid was easy as outgoings were pretty steady…. Now they are crazy…. And I feel like I am on if the lucky ones as I own my own property and have absolutely no depts.  time will tell….. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I am right there….. self employed-NEVER EVER CLAIMED ANY BENEFITS and am 50 - live a simple life on minimal income and make a few grand each year to put away….. have absolutely no idea how I can ramp up my income to match projected outgoings, admittedly I have  never watched the news in 10 years so have to take it as as comes but am assuming I will fall between the lines of any government help (as I got nothing during covid) but covid was easy as outgoings were pretty steady…. Now they are crazy…. And I feel like I am on if the lucky ones as I own my own property and have absolutely no depts.  time will tell….. 

Perhaps if you had watched the news, you might have found out you were almost certainly Eligible for the Self Employed Income Support Scheme grant to help you out when you could not work?

This winter I'll be feeling all smug but certainly not snug. The oil and leccy price increases along with job fears are a constant worry. We're going to freeze and live in semi darkness. 

The smugness comes from my repeated preaching, mainly to SWMBO, about the need to insulate. It falls on deaf ears tbh. Quite what she can't grasp is beyond me. Shows zero interest or support in improving the fabric of the building. At a conservative estimate we'll spend £250 a month on take aways. I'd really rather not and always think how much insulation that would have bought. It turns into a row and I'm accused of "moaning" and get "It's only once a week!"

On the back of it all and other stuff I find myself in the pub once a week and now spend I reckon £20 on average. I see that as temporary, mental insulation against everything. At least in the winter they have an open fire and it's warmer than at home! 😂

As an aside I found this an interesting article though not sure if behind it is an ad for heat pumps:

"Half of all heat pump ready homes interested in getting one – switch from gas boilers would wipe out gas imports from Russia two times over".

https://eciu.net/media/press-releases/2022/third-of-brits-more-likely-to-get-electric-heat-pump-to-shun-russian-gas

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

On the back of it all and other stuff I find myself in the pub once a week and now spend I reckon £20 on average. I see that as temporary, mental insulation against everything. At least in the winter they have an open fire and it's warmer than at home

If they manage to stay open.  Catering and hospitality is taking a real hit at the moment and food prices are set to rise again this autumn, and that is on top of the lack of staff. 

40 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If they manage to stay open.  Catering and hospitality is taking a real hit at the moment and food prices are set to rise again this autumn, and that is on top of the lack of staff. 

Yep. It’s a business that’s been hammered for the last two years so this will kill it off. 

Top money saving tip.  I got this from a customer I did some work for.  He said "not on a Tuesday, that is my bus day"  I asked him to explain.

Being over 60 in Scotland he gets his bus pass, free bus travel anywhere in Scotland, so every Tuesday he gets on a bus, different place each week.  He gets a couple of hours in a nice warm bus with a change of scenery, has lunch in his chosen destination and returns.  He recons it is cheaper with the free bust travel and just paying for his lunch, than heating the house for the day.

44 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Being over 60 in Scotland he gets his bus pass, free bus travel anywhere in Scotland, so every Tuesday he gets on a bus, different place each week. 

But;

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Yep. It’s a business that’s been hammered for the last two years so this will kill it off. 

Bus companies aren't immune either.

2 minutes ago, Radian said:

I would think they are in serious trouble.  Fuel will be a large part of their expenditure and often fairs are fixed by legislation.

Does make me wonder if the 'corner shop' will make a comeback.  They have high mark up on low price products, relatively small outgoings (owners run the place), often good secondary income from running postal services and, and this applies to all small business people I know, hate heating a place.

I often go to a nice sub tropical garden, at the top of it is a place that feeds 'old folk'.  I wonder if I am old enough to sneak in.  I get a good view and more boiled cabbage than I can eat.

May have to take my own chair as the stackable plastic ones I know are very uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

The pub is on a working farm. Run by the landlady, son and daughter but still hard times ahead I imagine. They don't do food bar nuts, crisps etc and oddly, homemade ice cream...

Pumps are not in use since reopening after Covid. Beer is now just served from polypins/bottle/cans.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

Top money saving tip.  I got this from a customer I did some work for.  He said "not on a Tuesday, that is my bus day"  I asked him to explain.

Being over 60 in Scotland he gets his bus pass, free bus travel anywhere in Scotland, so every Tuesday he gets on a bus, different place each week.  He gets a couple of hours in a nice warm bus with a change of scenery, has lunch in his chosen destination and returns.  He recons it is cheaper with the free bust travel and just paying for his lunch, than heating the house for the day.

Library, hospital, shopping mall,  garden centres, huge DIY stores, and so on.

3 hours ago, Radian said:

But;

The Yellow Bus co. In Bournemouth closed last week after 120 years. survived two worlds wars a couple of stock market crash’s and the pandemic. But not Putins special operation 

Mike

• Sad 1

Not all energy companies are covered by the cap..

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/green-energy-suppliers-exempt-from-price-cap-9238004

In a statement, Good Energy said: "Alongside a small number of other suppliers, Good Energy is not subject to the price cap. “In our case, this is due to our commitment to provide 100pc renewable energy from around 1,700 independent generators using solar power, wind power, hydroelectricity and biomass, supporting the transition to a cleaner and greener supply.