Where is the kWh price heading in 2022?

8 minutes ago, Temp said:

I see Heating Oil has shot back up over the past two weeks. Boiler juice chart for England now says its back over £1/L. In Northern Island its up 25% in three weeks. 

It ALWAYS goes up in September onwards when people start to think about filling their tank for the winter.  I usually used to find August was the best time for the annual fill.

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It ALWAYS goes up in September onwards when people start to think about filling their tank for the winter.  I usually used to find August was the best time for the annual fill.

Sure glad I got mine filled early.

Even Which magazine thinks that some kettles cost much more to boil.

A reader questioned them on it, and they didn't seem to understand the question, perhaps confusing with overfilling.

Energy in = energy out.

How many mp's know even the basics of science (or their advisors by the sounds of it).

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, a Classics Graduate.

Not a (expletive deleted)ing clue about even basic science.

I generally agree on Arts and Classics graduates and numbers. For some reason it de-educates them out of their 4th Form Maths - which is all most people need.

However, my insulated kettle did save money, as it cooled back down less for the next cup of coffee or tea, and the temperature control allowed me to do coffee at the correct 90C, for example.

9 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Even Which magazine thinks that some kettles cost much more to boil.

A reader questioned them on it, and they didn't seem to understand the question, perhaps confusing with overfilling.

I don't know what Which actually said, but perhaps they were referring to minimum fill amounts.

If you have to put in, say 400 mL to cover the element, then you have to boil a lot of excess water to make single 250 mL cup of tea (as compared with a kettle that will boil 250 mL of water, say).

The kettle thing.  Have you seen this?

That idiotic statement by BOZO about buy a new kettle shows 2 major flaws:

1: It seems to imply that buying a more modern kettle will be "more efficient". WRONG. A resistance heating element delivers 100% of the power consumed into what it is heating. You cannot get a kettle that heats the same amount of water but uses less electricity to do so. I have lost count of how many time people have asked me to change electric panel heaters for "more eficcient" ones. I am far too honest and tell them it is not possible rather than take their money and smirk.

2: If he thinks changing your kettle and saving £10 per year is going to make one jot of noticable difference to your £2000 or more heating bill then it shows just how out of touch he is with the problem facing people.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have lost count of how many time people have asked me to change electric panel heaters for "more eficcient" ones. I am far too honest and tell them it is not possible rather than take their money and smirk.

Was having this conversation with someone I know yesterday.

They are going to fort out a £1000ish on some 'smart' panel heaters.

I showed them a A2AHP and the answer was. "but we want then radiators on the wall under the windows".

Pointed out that the heat emitters, which don't look so dissimilar to what they wanted, can be fitted in the same place.

There reply "we only need to get an electrician in, not a plumber".

They also think that an oil filled electric radiator uses less energy as it stays warm after it is switched off.

Why are people, who had the same school education as most of us, allowed to mingle in society and comment on things they know nothing about, and when challenged, get more stubborn.

• Like 4

Reading the thread that mentioned "Which".  An old kettle had the element exposed to the water, so you had to put a minimum amount of water into the kettle.

Modern kettles have the elements away from the water so you have no minimum water level.

So based on only putting the minimum water in the kettle, and comparing an old design to new kettle, the new kettle will use less kWh per year, as it is required to boil less water.  So is more efficient in it use of energy.

Not much use for most people as they just fill the kettle up, then boil it, same amount of water for 1 cup or 6 cups of tea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

By 'modern', you mean the kind that most of us have bought for the last 25 years.

Basically yes, but that's the logic they are using.  Somewhat not in touch with reality.  But the butler makes the tea, so why would they know any different.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SimonD said:

And there's even talk amonst conservative members that they want him back after comparing the alternatives. 🙄 He'll be talking about airfryers next

He absolutely won't as that would make sense.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

Do they really make great chips?

I'd love to know... the sales blurb says they cooking everything amazingly apparently. I bet it'll be like the rest of the kitchen toys we've bought or been given; the slow cooker, multi-cooker, sandwich toaster, 3 food processors, normal microwave, combination microwave, halogen oven, rice cooker......

I suppose it's one way of keeping the economy afloat.

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

...  the slow cooker

We've had one of these for at least a decade and never really used it that much in the past.

However, over the last few months my wife has started experimenting with it, and we've had some really tasty meals. Most of the time it's just a matter of dumping all the ingredients in and coming back a few hours later. It's a massive time saver.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Reading the thread that mentioned "Which".  An old kettle had the element exposed to the water, so you had to put a minimum amount of water into the kettle.

Modern kettles have the elements away from the water so you have no minimum water level.

So based on only putting the minimum water in the kettle, and comparing an old design to new kettle, the new kettle will use less kWh per year, as it is required to boil less water.  So is more efficient in it use of energy.

Not much use for most people as they just fill the kettle up, then boil it, same amount of water for 1 cup or 6 cups of tea.

I'm feeling picked on here.

A modern kettle *still* requires several espressos' worth of water to cover the bottom.

And no one has mentioned hard water, which causes an old kettle to take longer to boil.

There's quite a funny desperate essay on Huff Post explaining why it is being misrepresented:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/boris-johnson-offers-cost-of-living-crisis-advice_uk_6310ad54e4b0dc23bbef84de

Boris's problem is that he has always had a mistress to make the tea.

Mrs Boris' problem is that after some time on the words-and-waffle lecture circuit, and the mush-for-brains Yankee-Doodle celeb circuit (see Harry and Meghan), he will be able to afford a whole quiverful of alternative blondes.

Slow Cooker: Check. Excellent.

Air Fryer: not yet

Worktop Pizza oven: Yep. Excellent for everything from sausage rolls to home made dough balls. (*)

F

* Recipe: Make dough. Cut into 12 gram balls. East with home made garlic butter (**).

** Recipe: Melt butter in pan. Add a lorra lorra garlic. Allow 15 minutes to steep. Put in small ramekin dishes. Put in fridge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Was having this conversation with someone I know yesterday.

They are going to fort out a £1000ish on some 'smart' panel heaters.

I showed them a A2AHP and the answer was. "but we want then radiators on the wall under the windows".

Pointed out that the heat emitters, which don't look so dissimilar to what they wanted, can be fitted in the same place.

There reply "we only need to get an electrician in, not a plumber".

They also think that an oil filled electric radiator uses less energy as it stays warm after it is switched off.

Why are people, who had the same school education as most of us, allowed to mingle in society and comment on things they know nothing about, and when challenged, get more stubborn.

Just as an aside, the electric panel heater company Fishcher Future Heat are due in court soon on a charge of fraud by claiming their panel heaters are cheaper to run.  I await the outcome of that case

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

Good job you don't use a kettle for making an espresso!  We would be well out of pocket, wasting all that hot water heating.  Buy a coffee making for £200 to save 1p on every espresso

I have several different types:

- a Gaggia Classico,

- something from De Longhi called a Dinamica which is for lazy people,

- my second Aeropress (think the rubber perished on Aeropress 1),

- and a heavily engineered thing called a Handpresso that you operate like a bicycle pump.

Quite appropriately I take the last one out on the bike.

F

Slow cookers are brilliant. I use it all the time. When I worked and the kids were little (single dad) it was a huge time saver. Bit of prep the night before. Bung it all in during the morning rush of lost shoes and eat your breakfast and come home a meal ready to eat. They still complained about it of course 😂