How to keep a toilet roll dry in a wet room?

Adsibob

How do you keep toilet paper dry in a wet room? I’ve seen the TP holders that have the flap of metal over them, but they look badly designed to me. Below is a picture of my rather small wet room. It would have been smaller but I made the architect borrow a bit of space from the corridor to make the shower further away from the toilet.

Maybe I should just place a roll loose on the window cill but to me that looks awful.

image.thumb.png.20cf68e330f7af7e8e896a6136a6c59d.png

That’s not really doable or desirable. 

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Get a shattaf, and save the trees.

I was thinking something like this might work, but I need it in either a matt black or brushed brass finish. Plus, this is crazy expensive for a TP holder!

https://www.parkstreetbathrooms.com/Store/product-details/Axor-Urquiola-Toilet-Roll-Holder-42436000.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAiAtdGNBhAmEiwAWxGcUhYscPWapZjL5LIw40_qeqhdbGoSlDKL203ZRmH7Zy7dK8p4aB-yoxoCl74QAvD_BwE

• Like 1

We have folding glass screens to keep most of the water in the shower area.  They don't need to be full height and don't need to go all the way to and seal to the floor, so we bought off the shelf folding screens intended to go on a bath, and set them about 100mm above the floor.  Very little water escapes past them.  In our case it was to keep a wooden unit where the towels are stored from getting wet.

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

We have folding glass screens to keep most of the water in the shower area.  They don't need to be full height and don't need to go all the way to and seal to the floor, so we bought off the shelf folding screens intended to go on a bath, and set them about 100mm above the floor.  Very little water escapes past them.  In our case it was to keep a wooden unit where the towels are stored from getting wet.

Yeah, that sounds like it works well. But I didn’t really want to introduce anything else into the bathroom as it’s really small already and having any screens, even partial screens, other than the 550mm one already shown will make the shower feel a bit cramped. So was really just looking for a way to house the toilet roll.

Cripes that's an expensive loo roll holder!

We use a standard shower curtain across the shower portion of our wet room, the one here is less than 2m square and the loo roll is out in the open but never gets wet. You could buy around 10 show curtains for the cost of that holder, you can mix up the aesthetic with them as well and it allows a wheel chair user to get in there without the problems of maneuvering round a glass screen. The new place will take the same basic approach.

40 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Cripes that's an expensive loo roll holder!

We use a standard shower curtain across the shower portion of our wet room, the one here is less than 2m square and the loo roll is out in the open but never gets wet. You could buy around 10 show curtains for the cost of that holder, you can mix up the aesthetic with them as well and it allows a wheel chair user to get in there without the problems of maneuvering round a glass screen. The new place will take the same basic approach.

This shower is on the second floor. There is no lift. Can’t ever see a wheelchair user using it. Also, I had understood that one of the benefits of an open plan wet room, is that the whole area reaches a similar temperature whilst showering, such that when you step out of the shower, you aren’t cold. A curtain would inhibit that benefit.

Edited by Adsibob

16 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I was thinking something like this might work, but I need it in either a matt black or brushed brass finish. Plus, this is crazy expensive for a TP holder!

https://www.parkstreetbathrooms.com/Store/product-details/Axor-Urquiola-Toilet-Roll-Holder-42436000.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=CjwKCAiAtdGNBhAmEiwAWxGcUhYscPWapZjL5LIw40_qeqhdbGoSlDKL203ZRmH7Zy7dK8p4aB-yoxoCl74QAvD_BwE

Quite a few on BH do have them, I believe.

One inexpensive option is a cylindrical container on the wall or floor, and to have a traditional "spike" inside it.

Or as stated, just put it behind a spray curtain.

F

On 11/12/2021 at 16:27, Adsibob said:

How do you keep toilet paper dry in a wet room

1. Get a Japanese style wc. a gentle spray instead of paper, followed by air-drying.

I have been lucky enough to try many, and they are even normal in public toilets in Japan.

From thinking they were a gimmick, then finding how to resolve initial unpleasant surprise feelings, I came to like them.

If changing the toilets at home I would consider it. Cost.....anything from a conversions seat to a top of the range German one. 

£300 to £5,000.  I think £600 gets a decent on, and some plumbing and electrics.  With savings in TP (used or not soaked) , it will pay itself in 50 years.

2. Keep it in the dry area, and pick a predicted requirement before entering and commencing.

39 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

1. Get a Japanese style wc. a gentle spray instead of paper, followed by air-drying.

I have been lucky enough to try many, and they are even normal in public toilets in Japan.

From thinking they were a gimmick, then finding how to resolve initial unpleasant surprise feelings, I came to like them.

If changing the toilets at home I would consider it. Cost.....anything from a conversions seat to a top of the range German one. 

£300 to £5,000.  I think £600 gets a decent on, and some plumbing and electrics.  With savings in TP (used or not soaked) , it will pay itself in 50 years.

2. Keep it in the dry area, and pick a predicted requirement before entering and commencing.

I think @ToughButterCup has a Geberit one?

How do you keep toilet paper dry in a wet room? ...

Toilet papaer? Don't use it.

We have two Geberit AquaClean loos, principally because of my injured back. You can vary the water pressure and the durationof the cleaning 'cycle' from a few to 50 seconds.

When they come round my mates use the loos even if they don't need to go: and one of them has been known to wash his botticelli twice in succession just for the fun of it. On first use, the  female  of the species has been known to squeal. 

My only regret is not buying the version of the AquaClean that has a BlueTooth remote control. Just think of the fun you could have with that. There's one with a blow-dry facility.  

Oh God, @pocster is going to read this and ......

• Haha 2

How do you keep toilet paper dry in a wet room? I’ve seen the TP holders that have the flap of metal over them, but they look badly designed to me. Below is a picture of my rather small wet room. It would have been smaller but I made the architect borrow a bit of space from the corridor to make the shower further away from the toilet.

Maybe I should just place a roll loose on the window cill but to me that looks awful.

image.thumb.png.20cf68e330f7af7e8e896a6136a6c59d.png

It's a bit late now, but you shouldn't have a toilet in a wet room.  The reason that most people have toilets in bathrooms is because plumbers are lazy.  That's a quote from Kevin McCloud.