Plasterboard on ceiling - urgent advice needed!

TryC

Hi All,

Please can someone tell me if it is normal to put plasterboard on a ceiling by putting blobs of adhesive on it (not sure exactly what it is called), and just sticking it on the ceiling? I am using a new plasterer and it is on the downstairs room.

I previously had another plasterer plasterboard the room upstairs, below the attic, and while I did not see him apply blobs of adhesive, it is not the say he didn't - but he screwed the plasterboard into the joists of the frames above.

I am assuming there are also joists on the ceiling downstairs, but I am not a professional, so I don't know if this is an alternative way to put the plasterboard on the ceiling.

Please kindly offer up some advice.

It's common to dot and dab plasterboard to walls but ive not seen it done on ceilings. Some place recommend dots of acrylic adhesive and screws for ceilings but again never seen it done with just adhesive. Can't find any youtube vids.

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

It's common to dot and dab plasterboard to walls but ive not seen it done on ceilings. Some place recommend dots of acrylic adhesive and screws for ceilings but again never seen it done with just adhesive. Can't find any youtube vids.

hmm, how peculiar. I will ask if he will screw in as well or just leave it dot dabbed (which is to be skimmed).

47 minutes ago, TryC said:

it won't be screwed in...

So it will fall off at some stage, maybe next week or next decade.  If it is well stuck then it may also rip off some of the previous surface, making a huge mess and maybe landing on the family.

Must have screws into the timber (and they may be quite long as has 2 layers to go through).

It will be screwed in is, I think, your next instruction. How close together will be according to the manual.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

So it will fall off at some stage, maybe next week or next decade.  If it is well stuck then it may also rip off some of the previous surface, making a huge mess and maybe landing on the family.

Must have screws into the timber (and they may be quite long as has 2 layers to go through).

It will be screwed in is, I think, your next instruction. How close together will be according to the manual.

so, has this guy taken an absolute short cut with this? this was my worry too, but wasn't sure if i was just being paraniod. He is just sticking it on the current ceiling and so that weight is now on that and if the ceiling was in perfect condition, i wouldn't need it plasterboarded right, it's like sticking a bandage on a bandage and that new bandage will only tear off the old one...

Much worse than that. A bandage on a bandage may be sensible first aid.

A falling ceiling might hurt or kill someone.

Now when the screws are added it will pull tight when near a dot of plaster , but have  a bridge behind where between dots . May be a tricky job, but he deserves it.

If screwed up in the first place, then every screw would have pulled the pbd up tight to the original ceiling.

There will be visible screws. If you were already going to skim then not a problem (except for the extra weight) . If not then he now has to fill over each screw...which is maybe what he was trying to avoid.

2 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Much worse than that. A bandage on a bandage may be sensible first aid.

A falling ceiling might hurt or kill someone.

Now when the screws are added it will pull tight when near a dot of plaster , but have  a bridge behind where between dots . May be a tricky job, but he deserves it.

If screwed up in the first place, then every screw would have pulled the pbd up tight to the original ceiling.

There will be visible screws. If you were already going to skim then not a problem (except for the extra weight) . If not then he now has to fill over each screw...which is maybe what he was trying to avoid.

he said he is not going to add screws, if i insist on it, how will he find the joists?as i don't want him to randomly screw into the ceiling?

The plasterboard has been dot dabbed in small pieces, not the large sheets.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to say in your last paragraph. The intention was always for him to board and skim the ceiling. just didn't know he was just going to dot dab! :(

If you can take some photos it would really help.

How big is the ceiling?

The plasterboard dot and dabbed on to the existing ceiling will definitely require screws.

All edges of the new plasterboard on the ceiling will require fixing with screws through the existing plasterboard and into the ceiling joists.

What size are the small pieces.

All joints where the edges of plasterboard meet will need taping. 

You can sometimes find the joists by looking at the floor above.  Once you have the centre of one at both ends, you can usually measure and find the others as thy are generally set out a regular width apart.

Good luck

Marvin

1 hour ago, TryC said:

The intention was always for him to board and skim the ceiling.

The skim adds extra weight so the dot and dab is holding even more up. what is the ceiling made of? the new ceiling is pulling against whatever is on the surface. Paint/wallpaper/ the outer skin of paper of a previous board. 

1 hour ago, TryC said:

how will he find the joists?

Is he joking?  If not then he either has knowledge issues or is taking you for a pushover.

Finding joists is easy, and was even easier before he put the new boards up.

Joists are in straight lines at regular centres. find one and the others are easy.

Ask if you need t know any more.

What is above the ceiling?

What else is he doing for you?

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Yes agree and someone could be badly hurt, even worse.

Always add mechanical fixings right through into the timber joists.

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

If you can take some photos it would really help.

How big is the ceiling?

The plasterboard dot and dabbed on to the existing ceiling will definitely require screws.

All edges of the new plasterboard on the ceiling will require fixing with screws through the existing plasterboard and into the ceiling joists.

What size are the small pieces.

All joints where the edges of plasterboard meet will need taping. 

You can sometimes find the joists by looking at the floor above.  Once you have the centre of one at both ends, you can usually measure and find the others as thy are generally set out a regular width apart.

Good luck

Marvin

i am not sure he can find the joists from the floor above as that has been carpeted down (new).

Here are some photos. 

20211118_194847.jpg

20211118_194809.jpg

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

The skim adds extra weight so the dot and dab is holding even more up. what is the ceiling made of? the new ceiling is pulling against whatever is on the surface. Paint/wallpaper/ the outer skin of paper of a previous board. 

Is he joking?  If not then he either has knowledge issues or is taking you for a pushover.

Finding joists is easy, and was even easier before he put the new boards up.

Joists are in straight lines at regular centres. find one and the others are easy.

Ask if you need t know any more.

What is above the ceiling?

What else is he doing for you?

hi, there is a room above this ceiling, but he cannot go to that room to find the joists for the below as it has been newly carpeted.

I am having the entire room skimmed. I had intentions for another job (skimmed, but probably skipping that entirely!).