Plasterboard on ceiling - urgent advice needed!

TryC

2 hours ago, TryC said:

thank you all for your advice, I very much appreciate it. I just feel so down at the moment with the entire situation. he is a nice chap but will he stay nice after all is said and done?I do not know. I am very anxious about how he will react and get abusive. I'm female so I think this increases chances of happening as I've read so many stories about this happening! :(

"I'm female so I think this increases chances of happening as I've read so many stories about this happening!"

I my career I have met an awful lot of blokes that are brain dead. They can't multi task for example. I too have the odd brain dead moment, perfecting multi tasking is a struggle as I'm a bloke so speak from experience.

It's not a so much gender thing these days.. it's just a lack of understanding and pride in the job.

The trick is to write down on a bit of paper the things you want to ask. No matter what stick to your guns and don't let them side track you. Stick to the list.

You can just copy and print off parts of the BH posts if you can and say.. can you answer these questions.

If you feel vulnerable then ask a friend to attend. But make sure you hand over the list of questions. If they refuse to accept the list then that is their issue, offer but don't force.Then if you feel that the meeting has become aggressive ask them to leave immediatly. Say to them.. I feel uncomfortable as I feel you are being aggressive so get out of my house! But don't think I'm not going to chase you for your shoddy work..as a parting shot let them know they are far from being off the hook. Do not elaborate.. let them mull it over.

Don't muck about. Sometimes getting chucked out of a meeting can crystalize a builders mind.. especially bullying builders as they realize that the Client may well be holding a bigger stick than they first thought. It gives them time to reflect and from time to time they come back with their tail between their legs. They may not of course but if so better to know this now.

If they don't come back then you have the option of getting a new joiner to screw up the plasterboard, they will know a plasterer probably and you will get it finsihed for xmas.

Edited by Gus Potter
left handed typos and spell checker
  • Like 1

Lots of good advice here but definitely mull over beating yourself up too much @TryC it's difficult sometimes when you get a bad egg I'm and don't know till its too late, but we've all had one at some point don't worry too much you'll get it sorted and it'll be fine. It'll just take a little longer. 

• Thanks 1

When I read the original post I thought it was a bit odd because I have not heard of sticking plasterboard to a ceiling.

Seeing the photos, the original ceiling is cracked and appears weak and defective.  To sort this out, they should have suggested either:

1. Skim the ceiling with a thin coat of plaster

2. Overboard the ceiling by screwing new plasterboard into the joist and laths, then skim

3. Rip down the ceiling and laths, screw new plasterboard to joists, then skim.

What they have done is stick new plasterboard onto defective plaster, adding to the weight that may come crashing down.  The first 2 options would have been far safer and easier.  What a knob-end.  At least it is only one room.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

oh, i think my ceiling might a lath then??? this image is the ceiling in the upstairs bedroom. so one can only assume the downstairs ceiling is made the same way???

20211119_083324.jpg

8 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

When I read the original post I thought it was a bit odd because I have not heard of sticking plasterboard to a ceiling.

Seeing the photos, the original ceiling is cracked and appears weak and defective.  To sort this out, they should have suggested either:

1. Skim the ceiling with a thin coat of plaster

2. Overboard the ceiling by screwing new plasterboard into the joist and laths, then skim

3. Rip down the ceiling and laths, screw new plasterboard to joists, then skim.

What they have done is stick new plasterboard onto defective plaster, adding to the weight that may come crashing down.  The first 2 options would have been far safer and easier.  What a knob-end.  At least it is only one room.

yes, i had asked him to overboard and skim, then skim all the walls. Never would of guessed he doing what he be doing!! :(

8 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Lots of good advice here but definitely mull over beating yourself up too much @TryC it's difficult sometimes when you get a bad egg I'm and don't know till its too late, but we've all had one at some point don't worry too much you'll get it sorted and it'll be fine. It'll just take a little longer. 

thanks Super John. it is difficult when I think i have done my due diligence and read reviews and still select the bad egg. I have new fitted wardrobes coming in next week and now I am dreading that! hoping it won't be a shit show!

• Like 1

@TryC for piece of mind, (assuming they are leaving the board adhesive to cure a couple of days) give the new boards a knock and push/pull, if they sound hollow, not fixed correctly or fall off then it needs sorting out. If they seem solid then you will be ok.

we have all had ‘bad egg’ tradies so don’t beat yourself up, and there are worse things in life to get stressed over so try not to.

1 minute ago, markc said:

@TryC for piece of mind, (assuming they are leaving the board adhesive to cure a couple of days) give the new boards a knock and push/pull, if they sound hollow, not fixed correctly or fall off then it needs sorting out. If they seem solid then you will be ok.

we have all had ‘bad egg’ tradies so don’t beat yourself up, and there are worse things in life to get stressed over so try not to.

that is true, but if it kills someone, or something, it is on me if I leave it up? 

• Like 1

Just now, TryC said:

that is true, but if it kills someone, or something, it is on me if I leave it up? 

Agreed, that’s why I said give it a knock and push/pull to see if they are stuck, and I have never heard of anyone being killed by a bit of plasterboard falling a couple of feet, I reckon at the very worst it could crack, become loose and look an ar#e but isn’t going to hurt anyone.

but, knowing what it’s like to live with anxiety and worry, then get it all ripped down and start again if that’s what is needed to put your mind at rest.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markc said:

Agreed, that’s why I said give it a knock and push/pull to see if they are stuck, and I have never heard of anyone being killed by a bit of plasterboard falling a couple of feet, I reckon at the very worst it could crack, become loose and look an ar#e but isn’t going to hurt anyone.

but, knowing what it’s like to live with anxiety and worry, then get it all ripped down and start again if that’s what is needed to put your mind at rest.

thanks Mark. Yes, but it could be pulling down the original ceiling which adds to the weight and I have elderly people in the house and it might seriously injure a pet:(

This entire thing has been a shit show and I grow tired of these cowboys, but I don't know until it is too late.

5 minutes ago, TryC said:

thanks Mark. Yes, but it could be pulling down the original ceiling which adds to the weight and I have elderly people in the house and it might seriously injure a pet:(

This entire thing has been a shit show and I grow tired of these cowboys, but I don't know until it is too late.

You will never see a large area of old lath ceiling fall down, one of the worst jobs in renovations is pulling these old ceilings down, all the laths are nailed and the horse hair plaster holds on tight, old plasterboard will come down in sheets.

9 minutes ago, markc said:

You will never see a large area of old lath ceiling fall down, one of the worst jobs in renovations is pulling these old ceilings down, all the laths are nailed and the horse hair plaster holds on tight, old plasterboard will come down in sheets.

i see. but he hasn't stuck them up in sheets, he stuck them up in smaller rectangles. sorry, this is all very confusing for me. It might make sense to you, but not for me :(

They picked up their materials and they are not happy, but still being polite and said they have been doing this for years and that the only option was to stick it. As they cannot screw it in - this is the first time they have mentioned they cannot do this with screws. I'm trying to keep this civil, as I think he is.

13 hours ago, Cpd said:

Much more knowledgeable people will be along to advise but to my eyes it looks like a hash. @nod

This is indeed a hash job. Do not trust this guy to complete the work unsupervised. Tell him to to it to British gypsum specifications or take it down and leave the site as he got it. Let him know that you will be getting it checked over before skimming and pay a tradesman to check it over.

3 minutes ago, Gordo said:

This is indeed a hash job. Do not trust this guy to complete the work unsupervised. Tell him to to it to British gypsum specifications or take it down and leave the site as he got it. Let him know that you will be getting it checked over before skimming and pay a tradesman to check it over.

ahh, thanks for clarifying this. 

I asked him to remove and he said this is standard procedure when you cannot screw into joists and was not amused I listen to others over his many years of experience :( said he will try his best to remove but insisted it is stuck solid, and will not fall down after explaining my concerns.

Edited by TryC

Just now, TonyT said:

Ask him for the manufacturers installation instructions so you can check… that will shut him up.

get him to remove it and kick him off site

he’s talking absolute rubbish..

question now is, what if he seeks payment for work/bodge work done and materials used?

4 minutes ago, TryC said:

question now is, what if he seeks payment for work/bodge work done and materials used?

Say “Sling your hook and I’ll see you in court moron and if I have to make good on your work you are accountable for costs”

Edited by Gordo

If the work had been done to standard , then the tradesman would have had nothing to fear. Inspection by another competent tradesman would have  shown the work was done properly and you have been obliged to pay.

The image (immediately above) documents bad, possibly dangerous practice.   Document everything, then  smile, say bye bye and ignore any invoices that come your way. 

How trades folk think they can get away with this stuff beats me. Honestly.