Timber prices starting to fall

nod

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That’s very good - still high round here 

Yeah Peter 

Still very high around here also 

This is the first sign I’ve seen 

Prices quoted are a couple of quid more than five years ago when we start out first build 

1 hour ago, nod said:

Pictured a local timber merchants

Not sure about the prices round here as I never buy timber , but placed the order for all the different lengths and sizes of timber for our roof on Monday and received a call today to say its in the yard when can we deliver it, so availability is improving. 

As I’ve said previously 

A friend owns a steel yard I call in for a brew when I’m passing and he’s no stock 

He reckons if he stocked his yard to normal levels He could loose 100k overnight He reckons as soon as the price of steel starts to drop All the big wholesale  companies will discount there stock to virtually cost 

Same will happen with timber 

Gypsum have jumped on the bandwagon with a planned 22% rise on metal framing 

Largely due to companies that use timber swapping over But they can just as easy swap back  when timber prices fall 

4% inflation by Christmas 

Government Free money ending this month 

4 minutes ago, nod said:

He reckons if he stocked his yard to normal levels He could loose 100k overnight He reckons as soon as the price of steel starts to drop All the big wholesale  companies will discount there stock to virtually cost 

Same will happen with timber 

That is a really good insight and one I had never thought of for stock shortages, than no one wants to get stocked up for when the bubble bursts and are holding expensive product when the music stops.

Just had a steel fabrication quote for 3.6 tons of I-beam and column (albeit with some awkward joint angle) for £21,500+VAT. Glad I was sitting down when I read it. Needles to say awaiting other quotes for the work with trepidation and hoping the price of steel is on the way down, in which case I have the time to wait.

11 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Just had a steel fabrication quote for 3.6 tons of I-beam and column (albeit with some awkward joint angle) for £21,500+VAT. Glad I was sitting down when I read it. Needles to say awaiting other quotes for the work with trepidation and hoping the price of steel is on the way down, in which case I have the time to wait.

What? Nearly 6k/t that’s ridiculous 

1 hour ago, markc said:

3.6 tons of I-beam and column

I have access to a supplier's online costing guide, and so entered a 254 x 146 x 35 I beam for a price, for a full length of 8m

£430 each.

So coming out at £1,700/ton from that stockholder.

That is for full lengths, and excludes delivery, so add for waste, cutting, priming ( but you can  diy), and delivery.

Of course there is no fabrication in there either.

So your 3.6t is costing £6k at the gate.

Add £15,000 for transport, some welding and a small new car!!!

The supplier is nowhere near you , but someone else is.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 20:42, nod said:

Gypsum have jumped on the bandwagon with a planned 22% rise on metal framing 

Unbranded framing from CCF etc is perfectly good. It comes from a known UK manufacturer but doesn't attract the premium for the inked name on it.

Consultants like to say ;all by BG or Knauff'  because it keeps them in the clear, and is your money.

All are good.

7 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Unbranded framing from CCF etc is perfectly good. It comes from a known UK manufacturer but doesn't attract the premium for the inked name on it.

Consultants like to say ;all by BG or Knauff'  because it keeps them in the clear, and is your money.

All   I’ve an account at CCF Most of our mf comes from there 

Unfortunately the others will follow BG prices 

In late response to a comment a few days ago, perhaps in another discussion:

I once found that permanent metal shuttering (eg Holorib) was 30% cheaper in France than UK. Exactly the same product.

Arranged for it to be obtained in France and delivered with another order by an intermediary continental supplier.

Suddenly it was cancelled by the French company without comment other than it was not possible.

I don't know how they found it was being exported, a loose comment probably, but they were certainly not allowing us to cut their massive on-cost.

It was about £30,000 of material, so we didn't make the £10k saving, and they lost a sale as we changed the design to concrete planks.

This was 10 years ago, so nothing to do with politics, but perhaps to do with 'agreements'.

Tiles appear to double in price en route from Spain and Italy.

I think it works the other way too. timber is silly expensive in Spain.

2 hours ago, BotusBuild said:

That is seriously (expletive deleted)ing loads, who is your supplier? Does that cost include erection?

Drop me a PM to see if I can help out.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...