Realistic build costs

Wood89

I haven't posted for a while as most plans on hold due to covid!

Looking at finding out a realistic house build cost I have a plot in mind with utilities included and planning permission for a 4 bedroom 1.5 storey house in north of scotland plot costing 85k with ground floor plan 174.18m2 and first floor 139.5m2.

I see a lot of posts people say rule of thumb is budget £2500 per square meter.. which my calculations think we would never be approved for a self build mortgage that large! but I have joiners plumbers and electricians to hand in the family who would happily help for very low costing with internal work so more costings for materials, groundwork and erection of the house itself so its water tight.

Myself and my husband both have first time buyer ISA however I think you can only use the bonus on a house to the maximum value of £250k ...is a 250k self build even possible???Screenshot_20210224-104702_Drive.thumb.jpg.adc125e846e48d429e60927d4368a23c.jpg

I think a lot of people with high specs and doing no work themselves are coming in at around £2000 a square metre.

However, looking at cost estimators and knowing that people don't need the highest spec possible £1750 might be a reasonable figure to use nowadays.

It also depends what you are including in that figure.

You can easily spend 5% of the build cost on landscaping. A big driveway alone can be very expensive.

Architects and other professional fees can run as high as 10% of the cost.

Plumbing and electrics labour won't be that big a part of the build costs, I'd guess around 3-4% but every saving helps. Joinery would be more if they could put in the plasterboard etc, but that's a lot of work to be doing unpaid. If they simply gave you a good price again you are maybe looking at a couple of percent saving. This would also depend a bit on your build method.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wood89 said:

... Looking at finding out a realistic house build cost ....

I'd like to bet that cost (at all levels: screws to completed house) is one of the most eagerly searched for and read subjects on this board. That's why I was so interested in @SteamyTea's one word answer to a post I wrote some time ago ( here ) and the subsequent thread about costing method ( here )

To boil those discussions down: cost per square meter is problematic, but it's also common to do so because that measure is easily understood.

There are lots of traps to fall in to because the underlying assumptions (when presenting the cost)  made are rarely explained - because to do that is complex.

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 2

If you have trades to call upon then you will likely find yourself in a pesudo-project manager role, which is not a bad thing.

Handing the whole build to a single contractor will usually be the most expensive as they will want to make a margin on the project as a whole (this is their living after all) and they may not be very motivated to save you money here and there - they will largely be concerned with their own cashflow, keeping to schedule and preserving their margin. Initially low quotes often increase with 'extras' which can be stressful to deal with.

Becoming the 'main contractor' will in theory save you paying them the same margin but in reality will give you visibility of every cost and the opportunity to manage them up or down. You will be best motivated to get 5 quotes for a job or spend hours scouring the internet to source materials etc. 

The ultimate end cost does depend on the finish but don't skimp on the fabric as this will determine the long term efficiency of the house.

Do invest in a QS detailed cost plan for your approved plans and then take this as a template that you work to  - give you immediate access to quantities for materials and works plus gives you targets to beat and helps determine if trades are quoting you reasonably.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nod said:

Of course it possible 

We’ve built a 5 bed 3 bath home for 200 k 815m2 

But the OP, who is not an experienced builder, is asking if they can build a 315m2 house for £250k.

My answer is no they can't as it is less than £800 per metre.

28 minutes ago, nod said:

We’ve built a 5 bed 3 bath home for 200 k 815m2 

I had a 3 bed house, was identical, in area, volume and shape to the mirror image one, which had 2 beds.

So quoting number of bedrooms, bathrooms etc, us not a good indicator of building cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

square feet there

We should stop using the old imperial measurements. 

And all houses for sale should state the plot size, and the building/s footprint size.

Then half the confusion about price/m² would just vanish.

If we did state things as they are, then we would not have left the EU, or thought that gargling with warm water would stop COVID-19.

I often wonder why people are so reluctant to state basic information.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

But the OP, who is not an experienced builder, is asking if they can build a 315m2 house for £250k.

My answer is no they can't as it is less than £800 per metre.

Wow 

315 M2 

didn’t see that 

Texting on the go again ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wood89 said:

...is a 250k self build even possible???

Yes , it is possible. 

I have a similar timber frame build, air tight, 3G glazing, ASHP, UFH, MVHR and budget with minimal building experience.

However, the only professionals hired were plasterer, electrician, ground floor screed, install of ASHP and commissioning for RHI and some minimal plumbing. 

If you can do the rest from groundworks up to the roofing and plenty of time, 3 years + go for it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

We should stop using the old imperial measurements. 

And all houses for sale should state the plot size, and the building/s footprint size.

Then half the confusion about price/m² would just vanish.

If we did state things as they are, then we would not have left the EU, or thought that gargling with warm water would stop COVID-19.

I often wonder why people are so reluctant to state basic information.

I feel nitpicked.

I provided measurements in both units.

I even provided a third interpretation measured in "average houses".

Just for that I shall use "football pitches", "Wales", and "The Mall, Washington" next time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I had a 3 bed house, was identical, in area, volume and shape to the mirror image one, which had 2 beds.

So quoting number of bedrooms, bathrooms etc, us not a good indicator of building cost.

Sorry for the lack of detail I seem to be answering on the move most days 282 m2 over 2 floors and a detached DG

Edited by nod

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Do you actually mean 9000 square feet there? ie 10 average sized houses?

He meant the house build cost was £200k which equated to £815 per square metre.

Trouble was he was driving with one hand and rendering a wall with the other, while supervising some tackers and quoting on another job, so the texting was not the perfection we have come to expect from young @nod.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

He meant the house build cost was £200k which equated to £815 per square metre.

Trouble was he was driving with one hand and rendering a wall with the other, while supervising some tackers and quoting on another job, so the texting was not the perfection we have come to expect from young @nod.

Your not that far wrong there 

I got to a job this morning 

Several walls in the wrong place 

I said right giv us ye drawing 

“It’s in the van” Your  all going to have to put up with this

Work to the bloody drawing ?

They had changed  a 1350 corridor into 

1200 wide Fits a board perfect 

Cant turn a food trolley round 

But at least it saves them cutting a few strips of board

Anyway that’s  me  for the day 

Hour drive back to sunny Preston 

Do it all again tomorrow ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nod said:

Wow 

315 M2 

didn’t see that 

Texting on the go again ?

Completely possible mate - my 310 m2 house is going to go up for about £340k - halfway done already.  Includes mHRV and lots of stone but then I am running the job, driving the forks and doing all of the jobs outside the main packages myself (been doing the cavity closers today for example) and there are another 2 plots to do through my company which gives a bit of scale for pricing (although my house represents about 45% of the total site build).

We're mid way through our 300m² build and latest cost estimate at completion is £315k.

That's a 2.5 story house with basement and built to passive standards. Not doing much work myself but subcontracting most of the jobs.

4 bedrooms, 314m2 that seems huge. 

Our three bed build is 140m2.

I'm not a fan of m2 calculations. If you need a mortgage you need to show a break down of your costs. You will also need to demonstrate that the final cost is affordable.

I set a target of £500 a month for the mortgage/property bills a month. Last thing I wanted was to be so stretched financially that I did not have much disposal income.

• Like 1

Its definitely possible but you have to do a lot of it yourself and spend time shopping around for the best prices. Internal spec can vary hugely and can obviously have such effect on the total build cost. The plans you show have a lot of glass and bifolding doors which is not cheap so that will take a big chunk of the budget.

In regards to your help to buy isa, my fiance and I used our help to buy isa’s for our self build. It went on purchasing the plot, as long as neither of you have ever had a mortgage or house in your name before then you can use the isa towards the plot purchase. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Conor said:

We're mid way through our 300m² build and latest cost estimate at completion is £315k.

That's a 2.5 story house with basement and built to passive standards. Not doing much work myself but subcontracting most of the jobs.

Would love to see your budget/budget tips!