PIR rigid foam waste - what else can I do with it?

readiescards

Are there any alternative uses for PIR rigid foam?

I got way more than this photo shows and don't really want to land fill it.

Other than jamming it in little gaps as a secondary insulation I'm at a lost what to do with it.

Is it fire-proof?

Is it heat proof?

Can I carve it and cover in clay ?

Can I use it for moulds?

Does hot glue stick to it or melt it?

Does it give off fumes when hot/burning?

Is it petrol resistance?

Can I use it for polishing?

Can I grind it up and use it to fill small gaps?

Can I mix it into cement?

2017-02-03 07.59.52.jpg

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I did see somewhere that a chap converts off cuts into poly beads ( I think he used a garden shredder?).

Wasn't that EPS? PIR gives off nasty, itchy, eye watery, fumey.....nastiness as far as I'm concerned. The Devil's own stuff!

• Like 1

Following on from the insulated cat box theme how about a carefully crafted, well insulated take away boxes? Useful for when you have to drive some distance to grab a pizza etc.

Of course, depending where in the world you live take away CAT may be on the menu!

(Pretty sure there was a special edition Ford Fiesta years ago with a built in gimmick/feature for keeping food warm!)

• Like 1

Is it feasible for use to sound proof internal walls instead of rockwool? Or to wedge between joists to reduce noise transmission?

I would still probably use rockwool between studs where I have services running down (cables etc) but I was considering using left overs elsewhere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ADLIan said:

Polyurethane & polystyrene foams have no acoustic properties. Must be mineral wool, glas or rock.

Wish somebody had told that to the people I used to work for, who had converted a music studio and used sheets of Celotex to block up the windows.

So far i have made an insulated dog kennel and a few weeks ago i made a very elaborate hot composting box, this was a lot of work as the insulation must remain dry from both inside steam and moisture and outside elements. It was all worth the effort as now in the middle of winter i have a very effective composting system, when i open the lid there is a great waft if hot steamy air....

very satisfying.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cpd said:

So far i have made an insulated dog kennel and a few weeks ago i made a very elaborate hot composting box, this was a lot of work as the insulation must remain dry from both inside steam and moisture and outside elements. It was all worth the effort as now in the middle of winter i have a very effective composting system, when i open the lid there is a great waft if hot steamy air....

very satisfying.  

And are you tapping into this heat source? :)

Jean Pain is the King of compost heating!

12 minutes ago, Ashburyselfbuild said:

A friend of mine is building a large model railway layout and used loads of the off cuts to build scenery. He said it was easy to sculpt the hills that he then covered with plaster of paris. 

Bet he was chuffed.....

1 hour ago, Ashburyselfbuild said:

A friend of mine is building a large model railway layout and used loads of the off cuts to build scenery. He said it was easy to sculpt the hills that he then covered with plaster of paris. 

Best idea so far! Tried hot wire cutting it today, okish

12 hours ago, ADLIan said:

While since I worked in pur foam industry but I'm sure the gases generated by HW cutting are pretty nasty. Perhaps ok if well vented room and on a small scale.

Just don't do it.  I worked with this stuff 30 years ago and the risks where known about then.

Have you thought of secondary insulation around a thermal store/DHW cylinder.

• Like 1

Today I used the left over foam for:

* making a box around the generator earthing rod - prior to the garage concrete floor pour

* making a box to prevent the Icynene spray foam going where the LPG boiler flue will go

* sittng on it to eating my lunch off 

* stacking tons of bits - ready for when I come up with the brainwave what to do with this stuff

I also tried setting fire to it:

https://goo.gl/photos/ruuUZczYPTikMfsi7

Was quite impressed how it withstood a gas torch - not particularly recommended though as certainly some fumes were given off

• Like 2