Buy or Build a Shed

Triassic

I need an 8x6 foot Shed to use as a utility room during our main build. I've looked at the price of buying a shed and now I'm thinking it would be cheaper to build my own shed, it can't be that difficult!  

So what would you buy or build the shed?

I once bought a 'Yardmaster' metal garage, because I had just moved house and needed the space ASAP. Utter load of rubbish.

It would cost about the same in materials to build one, but I'd have ended up with a far better shed.

I'd buy, in fact I've got 3 that I've bought.

You couldn't have bought the materials for the cost of the sheds. Yes, they're not the last word in quality and they would have been more substantial if I'd built them from scratch, but they're still standing and keeping the weather out and I didn't have to waste days building them.

The trick is to find a decent supplier, they don't all charge the earth for rubbish!

15 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I find that most of these cheap sheds are a bit on the flimsy side, The cladding is a bit thin only 7mm. Ideally I'd like cladding to be around 15mm thick.

4 Sheets of 11mm OSB and you have something that is pretty solid..! I agree, but this is a temporary site office so having anything other than a basic shed is false economy for us

5 hours ago, Triassic said:

So what would you buy or build the shed?

I managed to buy an old BT van body for £250: built of tupperware and set on four bits of railway line as a frame. Point I'm making is that it doesn't need to be a shed. It just needs to lock and keep stuff dry.

13 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I managed to buy an old BT van body for £250: built of tupperware and set on four bits of railway line as a frame. Point I'm making is that it doesn't need to be a shed. It just needs to lock and keep stuff dry.

.... and you're slowly starting to turn it into a newt hotel... :ph34r:

The OH built a shed for a friend as it was an awkward shape and size and the only one we found online was about £700.  we used the stud carcasing timbers which are being sold in Wickes for 2.15 for 2.4 m length minus our 10& discount, if bought in bulk and it is solid enough to withstand anything!  The only thing which put up the price was the nice shiplap - if she'd been happy with OSB and fencing boards, it would have been cheaper. we think it ended up costing around £350 for materials.  He built it in our garage then took it to bits and rebuilt it in the garden.

Its solid and the perfect shape and will last for years.:D  She just has to paint it now.

P1100304.thumb.JPG.81ce0d191a56c9819df5f7e472607106.JPG

Edited by TheMitchells

After some dithering we built our own. We were going to spend £1500 on an off the shelf shed but built this one for a hundred quid less. It's WAY better. Much more robust, secure and solid than the bought sheds I've seen. The roof pitch is angled to suit the PV panels, as a useful consequence of that there's loads of space in the roof. It was fun to build too. 

DSC_0534.JPG

• Like 1

MY shed.....I should have thought further than "Oh I'm getting a free (albeit old) shed!"

Basically a freebie that I raised up on a dwarf wall. Those stocks along the front date from 1863:

SAM_7275_zpsafb776ce.thumb.JPG.3aba81d9888df623535f87c7073b5253.JPG

I used the original door to provide timber to block up the side windows:

SAM_7329_zpsb4906bb6.thumb.JPG.df0c51a0d5278940b98f1f5ed31cd009.JPG

The stable door was made from scrap firewood, heavy as hell:

SAM_8062_zps0c54780c.thumb.JPG.a7def0a1e48766e1b0653ae509966ac2.JPG

SAM_8065_zps5ca2b261.thumb.JPG.4151ae98491b9daa29ad841646e932dd.JPG

SAM_8063_zps72683b18.thumb.JPG.14fbc72354adbbf1ae88f8137bf6fad2.JPG

SAM_8061_zps596e3330.thumb.JPG.63d1b43cc8eb22a368d692a7f7d1e147.JPG

Worst thing ever was to try and insulate using gun foam, it's made the T&G open up on the outside:

589651463c518_SAM_7465_zps592abc30(1).thumb.JPG.6a87d9bfff6b4fa5bafd826cc4fcbb40.JPG

Why do I do these things? Wouldn't have been much more effort to build something decent! :)

EDIT: Maybe later I'll rip the old T&G off and re-clad. Probably the best way out.

Edited by Onoff

Garden room is the next thing "shed" like I'm going to build. Trying to convince my daughter to let me demolish the tree house and wendy house and put one decent shed up. I'd do it with a nod to Passivhaus, on a nice thick raft of EPS etc, sealed up maybe MVHR, solar. Big front windows to capture the sun.

Or maybe something that can rotate.....

5 hours ago, MarkH said:

After some dithering we built our own. We were going to spend £1500 on an off the shelf shed but built this one for a hundred quid less. It's WAY better. Much more robust, secure and solid than the bought sheds I've seen. The roof pitch is angled to suit the PV panels, as a useful consequence of that there's loads of space in the roof. It was fun to build too. 

DSC_0534.JPG

£100 less, does that take into account your time,?