What temperature do you run yours at?

recoveringbuilder

Sitting around doing nothing all day, horrible wet misty day and as the day has progressed I’m feeling a bit cold, quite often think that as it gets later the cold seems to come down into the lounge from the mezzanine which is above and has the cathedral ceiling, we do have the radiators up there on later in the evening which appears to solve the problem but we’re wondering if we ran the ufh downstairs and particularly in this room at a higher temperature if we would benefit from that, currently it’s set at 19 degrees as is the kitchen and small sitting room which are always warm but they have proper ceilings, what would you all have yours set at?

We only have UFH downstairs, and in the bathrooms upstairs.  Thermostats currently set to 20 degrees, currently rooms sitting at 21, it has overshot a bit and all thermostats off.  it's only about 8 degrees outside.

But this is the sort of grey, miserable day, when regardless of what the thermometer says, you "feel" cold and when like this we tend to light the stove and get the whole house up to 24 degrees or so. That stops us "feeling" cold.

• Like 1

We are set at between 20 and 22 depending on the room.

My wife was complaining that the kitchen was cold even though it was 22 the other day and the heating was off.

I think that at this time of year the issue is that it starts to get colder and darker outside, but it often isn't cold enough inside for the heating to kick in. Thus you don't get the radiant heat that helps you to feel warm irrespective of the air temperature. Once it gets colder and the heating kicks in more it feels warmer even at the same air temperature.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AliG said:

My heating wouldn't be on yet if it was set at 18-20C. I wouldn't be married either!

I think with us it’s our jobs I’ve always worked on sites in all weathers 

My wife works in a cold operating theatre wearing scrubs 

I think your work environment does effect what you are comfortable with 

25 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Wow! Our heating has been on for 3 weeks although not upstairs, weather must be better in the borders!

Been on for 1 week here. Today topped out at 8 degrees outside but more like an average of 7. And 0 sun so no solar gain.

You would be doing very well indeed to not need any heating with that outside temperature.

I would say it is colder than normal, in previous years I have not turned it on until November.  Perhaps I just lit the stove instead.

12 minutes ago, nod said:

I think your work environment does effect what you are comfortable with 

Totally agree, i am outside from 7.30am to 5,30pm and then often pottering in the garden  / walking in the evening. I set my electric heating to 16c and am happy at that as I can’t sleep comfortably with it much hotter, If the weather is great then I don’t mind it hotter as long as the windows are all open. I’m sure I could get used to it hotter but  need to constantly watch my electric usage...... 

I’ve stated before that we have never had the heating on in the bedrooms or bathrooms I used insulated boards on all the exterior Block  walls Perhaps a bit of overkill But for a small amount of money that it cost Keeps the whole house warm 

33 minutes ago, nod said:

I’ve stated before that we have never had the heating on in the bedrooms or bathrooms I used insulated boards on all the exterior Block  walls Perhaps a bit of overkill But for a small amount of money that it cost Keeps the whole house warm 

Are these boards PIR backed plasterboard?

i ask because in another BuildHub thread someone said they are a pain to fit. 

10 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Yep 

They have pink backed insulation 

40 mill in total Just D&D like normal Great to dab with You can usually use around 7 per hour 

One man So only about 3 behind using wallboards 

23 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

They are for mere mortals, but @nod is a plasterer with god like standards ... so it’s his bread and butter !

My wife complained this evening about it being cold (I am sat in a t shirt), heating is set to 20’ and not come on yet (I think it may be altered soon ?).

edit to add,,,, she has just asked me to light the woodburner ?‍♂️

Edited by joe90

We had a cold snap with autumn arriving about 10-12 days ago - where the high temperatures were below about 10C for 3 or 4 days in a row.

Mine went on then, and it took a few days to warm it all up. It is now running at 18-20C. Display on downstairs heating controller seems to have half died, so I am playing jigsaw-deducation games with the segments in the LCD until fixed.

Upstairs is off apart from the rad in the downstairs bathroom which is connected to that half of the system - presumably as it is rads upstairs and ufh downstairs, as I am still 95% downstairs including sleeping.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I think not having a stove or some other form of quick heat has been a mistake, in our last house we had a wall hung gas fire in the kitchen/ sunroom 54m2 and that wee fire could raise the temperature a good 2 degrees and because we more or less lived in that space we didn’t put the ufh on until usually end of October beginning of November.

We were away for a couple of weeks only returned at the beginning of this week.  the weather turned cold while we were gone and averaged around 10 degrees.

So when we got back the house was cold, so we put the UFH on and lit the stove. that warmed things up quickly.

Now the house is back up to temperature the heating is not coming on much.

I think what this shows is how much the house keeps warm due to incidental heat of us just living in it, but of course with 2 weeks with no people, no cooking etc allowed it to cool down.

19 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

Wow! Our heating has been on for 3 weeks although not upstairs, weather must be better in the borders!

Not really. It’s 17 degrees in here today but the electric is going off on Tuesday all day for emergency repairs up the road or something. I wasn’t going to put on the UFH for the heating to then be off for ages and have the temperature drop down again. They are supposed to be lending me a generator but god knows how that will work out. I need to power the router and the laptop so that I can work from home. If it can also power a 3kw heater I may put that on. 

• Like 1