Extension- Last Stuff.

15 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

No that's perfect. It's 600mm centers so from the centre of one joist to the next should be 600mm. 

Ah yes of course. Ok but im kinda stuck as i dont know my other dimension, what the idea is with this. Hole 580 mm x ?

Is this shorter dim relevant to anything suggested, a particular hatch thing? Or is the idea of putting in a bought hatch thing redundant, and the idea is to make my own as it were?

Sorry but i got a bit overwhelmed with suggstions i didnt know exactly why one was being suggested, or of i was able to choose, or whether having no nogs to work with, this relegates some suggestions.

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Are you buying a pre made hatch system or making your own???

I don't know, you see i have no idea if should i choose to buy one, the choice is determined by the opening, or rather the distance i find between my joists.. or not.

Surely as my joists cant move, they must determine what hatch i put up, and, whether a pre made one is even compatible ( here, with the 'opening' figure of one side of 580mm ive just found).

To make one all you will need is 1 length of 3*1 2.4m long to form the frame, 2.4 m of 2*1 for the hatch to sit on , a square of 18mm ply/hdf cut to suit how big your hole is and some draft seal. Then some thing like cheap skirting to have a strip around the edge on the plasterboard so it looks nice from below. It's not a hard job to make one. Not expensive to make. Have you any off cuts of insulation to glue to the back of the hatch??

This (nice and cheap, insulated, good make) hatch needs 562mm between joists so just add a bit of ply to the side of one of the joists:

Screenshot_20201210-130841.thumb.png.bfd40e7b6b68874b343149255026c274.png

https://www.buildingplasticsltdi.co.uk/Manthorpe-GL250-03-Loft-hatch-Access-Door-p/mangl250-03.htm

It's 726mm the other way. Ideally you'll butt up to one existing noggin and fit a second one yourself.

3 hours ago, Declan52 said:

To make one all you will need is 1 length of 3*1 2.4m long to form the frame2.4 m of 2*1 for the hatch to sit on ,a square of 18mm ply/hdf cut to suit how big your hole is and some draft seal. Then some thing like cheap skirting to have a strip around the edge on the plasterboard so it looks nice from below. It's not a hard job to make one. Not expensive to make. Have you any off cuts of insulation to glue to the back of the hatch??

No PIR offcuts Declan. Id think this idea is do-able for me, but alot of work, & the hatch board bit to get too, paint the lot too.. might equate to same cost as Onoff's suggestion which if easy to fit.. seems perhaps the best & simpler option. thx

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

563x562 then, a square one. This pushes up. So you could insulate the back with a real deep thickness of insulation:

https://www.buildingplasticsltd.co.uk/Manthorpe-GL260-Loft-hatch-Access-Door-p/mangl260.htm

I was just going to trawl the site for a smaller one: great ok this now makes sense, but why not insulated like the other one I wonder-?

Edited by zoothorn

30 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

but why not insulated like the other one I wonder-?

It is insulated, have another read! You can just add some more on the back.

...included within the back of the door is an insulation material.

Edited by Onoff

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I can just about get up through a 450*450 access hatch I've just put in a ceiling. Wouldn't want to go any smaller. If you want to store stuff up there you might kick yourself you didn't go bigger.

Thats a good point. Ok will go for the gl250 562 mm  x 726mm fitting.. shouting at me 'sensible choice' this one, usually is being your 1st suggestion too.

So before i order, let me get this right: ive seen the youtube clip, fatso drills thru frame into joists/ easy. So all i got to do, is add two nogs to create my 'ends' of the fitting hole (726mm apart) ? And clean / trim up the pb up to them of course.

Is this right? And are these added nogs muggins weight proof, can i sit ontop of a corner here for eg?

Is pocaster doing one of his 'funnies'?

@Onoff just bought the manthorpe gl-250.. so can get all work done ready for this. £30 posted is pretty amazing. No idea what difference is between 250 and 250-03 (the one you linked to orginally) except £8 afaict. Tv fatso fitting the 250 so going with him.

53 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Thats a good point. Ok will go for the gl250 562 mm  x 726mm fitting.. shouting at me 'sensible choice' this one, usually is being your 1st suggestion too.

So before i order, let me get this right: ive seen the youtube clip, fatso drills thru frame into joists/ easy. So all i got to do, is add two nogs to create my 'ends' of the fitting hole (726mm apart) ? And clean / trim up the pb up to them of course.

Is this right? And are these added nogs muggins weight proof, can i sit ontop of a corner here for eg?

Yep take your time to get the noggins a nice snug fit. Not so tight you have to welt in with a club hammer! Hopefully your two joists are parallel i.e 580 apart. Make sure your noggins go in square so it's a nice rectangle. You could chuck a smear of wood glue in for good measure. I'm not sure how deep the joists are but I'd chuck a couple of wood screws in to hold the noggins. If you feel 6x100s too big then say 5x80s.

You will need to pack one side. 580-562=18. A strip of 18mm ply or MDF MIGHT slip in if your lucky. Or 3 strips even where the loft hatch screw holes are. That bucket of Screwfix packs I told you to buy ages ago may come in handy! ?

IMG_20201210_180957537.thumb.jpg.ffa4d1bddb02bcd0a527782f6f8fcd2e.jpg

12 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Is pocaster doing one of his 'funnies'?

@Onoff just bought the manthorpe gl-250.. so can get all work done ready for this. £30 posted is pretty amazing. No idea what difference is between 250 and 250-03 (the one you linked to orginally) except £8 afaict. Tv fatso fitting the 250 so going with him.

The 03 version has a hatch you can remove completely and put to one side rather than just hinging down.

Just now, Onoff said:

The 03 version has a hatch you can remove completely and put to one side rather than just hinging down.

so fattie fudge's is the 03? on his box it just says 250. anyway cant complain @ 20 flippin quid. but I can still moan.