Single Bottle LPG Gas Hob Connection

JanetE

18 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Would it not be easier and cheaper to have a back up generator to run the hob (I assume an induction one) from (200 quid and a crossover switch).

I have a spare camping stove, have only needed to use it once in 12 years during one 4 hour power cut.

Even up here, unplanned power outages are uncommon and don't last very long.  I am planning to install a crossover switch but may well hold off on actually buying a generator.

£10 for a small camping stove and a £2 for the gas cartridges, probably the cheapest back up of all - hot drink and food.

18 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Would it not be easier and cheaper to have a back up generator to run the hob (I assume an induction one) from (200 quid and a crossover switch).

I have a spare camping stove, have only needed to use it once in 12 years during one 4 hour power cut.

Keeping in mind that a crap induction hob will still suck 40a, and a tidy one over 50a:|. That wouldn't be a small generator. 

15 minutes ago, Stones said:

£10 for a small camping stove and a £2 for the gas cartridges, probably the cheapest back up of all - hot drink and food.

Exactly this.  We have a camping stove and spare bottle in the garage.  Worst case we need to cook on that once or twice, not the end of the world.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Use one 'ring' and it will be about 9A.  So a cheap 2 kW generator will do it.

Its not that simply really, it's the way the electric is generated Vs how the hob wants to use it, 

At the very least you would probably want an inverter Genny, and that's a whole lot more money than your normal site type Genny. 

Lets be honest if its for a power cut scenario then you probably want one of these in the cupboard and  its job done.. Cheapo 2kw gennie and a "dedicated" socket and all sorted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonShef-Digital-Induction-Hob-Electric-Single-Hob-with-Touch-Control-LED-Display-/282194438528?hash=item41b4196980:g:9zAAAOSwwpdW1wI8

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Lets be honest if its for a power cut scenario then you probably want one of these in the cupboard and  its job done.. Cheapo 2kw gennie and a "dedicated" socket and all sorted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VonShef-Digital-Induction-Hob-Electric-Single-Hob-with-Touch-Control-LED-Display-/282194438528?hash=item41b4196980:g:9zAAAOSwwpdW1wI8

That will NOT run off a 2kW Genny, not properly anyway, will deffo shorten its lifespan, and the gennys, 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

That looks really good I am still trying to get my other half to use an induction hob but she is insisting on gas ( lpg as no mains gas) I used an induction hob when on a cookery course last year and I a converted. She wants a range master and they do a good one with induction hob ( saves cost of all the gas pipes etc and lugging bottles about) whatcha this space ?)

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

That looks really good I am still trying to get my other half to use an induction hob but she is insisting on gas ( lpg as no mains gas) I used an induction hob when on a cookery course last year and I a converted. She wants a range master and they do a good one with induction hob ( saves cost of all the gas pipes etc and lugging bottles about) whatcha this space ?)

Thats a common battleground if someone is used to gas ..! Induction is superbly controllable and it's a lot safer too..!

can you not send her on the same course ...??

Well I think you have more than answered my question, so thanks to you all.  As Terry said we shall be getting the installation done by a registered installer, it's just not worth the worry doing it ourselves.  

The reason we are having the gas hob is not just as a backup as I aim to use it regularly. We have natural gas here but as the new build is pretty well up to passive standard we are just having electricity.  The LPG is a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a gas connection. We have an induction hob and I've heard great things about them so hope I won't be disappointed. B|

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well the two ring gas hob is connected.

The guy who connected it and certified it for us charged us £100.  The cylinder and connectors including the deposit was £105. He made a really neat job of it too. So a good result for us.

So maybe @joe90, can show the pictures to his wife :)

IMG_20170220_103918.jpg

IMG_20170220_104006.jpg

• Like 2

Can I have a picture of the gas connection under the hob please (take the drawers out?) and the gas connection at the regulator?

Also is that one continuous piece of pipe (annealed 10mm copper for instance) , or solid pipe with joints?

If I could find someone to connect it and sign it off for £100 I would be happy.

If it's any help, we fitted an LPG hob in a new house build in Scotland.  I fitted the hob and ran 10mm plastic coated copper in a continuous run from the hob connection point to the external cylinder changeover valve, but didn't terminate the pipe.  The gas fitter from the building company then came in and made the connections either end, leak tested it etc and it didn't actually cost us anything, as the builder did it as a favour.

@ProDave we put a 20mm plastic liner pipe through our TF twinwall and out through the brick skin.  We sealed that for air tightness.  The plumber did the work in two visits.  On the first one, he soldered in a 15mm copper pipe with 3 x 90° elbows to run alone the outside wall, 90 bend in through the liner pipe;  90 bend along the back wall and another 90 bend into the back of the unit. (The hole wasn't directly behind the cupboard.)  Jan bought the gas bottle and regulator from the local coal / bottled gas merchant in the village. 

On his second visit (after the worktops were fitted) he dropped the external pipe down to 10mm and fitted the flexible pipe onto this with a jubilee clip.  He also needed to add another 90 elbow on the inside to bring the fitting up into the hob connection.  All of the pipework fitted behind the line of the unit draws.  This sounds lot of work, but the two visits combined were about an hour's work, maybe less.   He lives in the next village, so this was a "stop off on the way" infill job for him.

Jan or I will take a couple of snaps later.

3 hours ago, TerryE said:

IMG_20170220_132332396.jpg.329d90144f77c183dc3fc0fc98e193ca.jpgIMG_20170220_132640920.thumb.jpg.071868007e49a62a558f457629f8309c.jpg

The back of the unit has been cut out to give the induction hob ventilation some open air circulation, but it's behind the drawers in the unit so we didn't attempt to match @Onoff's standards!

Are you really going to tell me that was done by a gas safe "engineer" who gave you a certificate?  The gas bottle connection in particular is not how it's done.  And where is the pressure test point etc.

I am perfectly capable of doing a simple job like plumb and LPG hob to a regulator but for the sake of getting a bit of paper I am willing to pay someone to make the two joints and issue that bit of paper, but not if he does it like that.

42 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Are you really going to tell me that was done by a gas safe "engineer" who gave you a certificate?

Dave, in a word: yes.  I got his name and details off the GasSafe online database.  This is one where I didn't even bother to research "how it's done" as I was paying someone to do it the correct way.  Jan explained what we were doing to the local dealer and ordered the regulator and bottle from them on their advice.  The gas (and LPG) registered engineer, fitted it and provided us with the certificate without comment. 

So if you think that the Building inspector would have a problem with this installation, then it would be really helpful us if you could be more specific or at least point us to where you can find these details.  AFAIK, they aren't readily accessible to the general house builder, because they want you to use a certified professional to do the work. 

I see that there are potentially two sepearate issues:

• Compliance and certification;
  • Is the implementation correctly scaled?

We've got a backup two-ring gas hob connected to an outside Propane cylinder, not our central heating.  Naively, I would think that this apporach is scaled for this; to me, the issue is: does it comply?