Hmm, what to get on with…?

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Luckily I still have a stack of wide (~300mm) rough sawn larch boards, left over from cladding the house.  Made a bird box from this a few weeks ago, and although several blue tits have been exploring it, it doesn't look as if it's met with their approval (it's made to the RSPB plans).

The BiL has a saw mill so I can go and get him to plank me whatever. Think there's some larch up there. Seems a pity to go to all that trouble to make something that will rot eventually. Buffalo Board would last forever. 

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

The BiL has a saw mill so I can go and get him to plank me whatever. Think there's some larch up there. Seems a pity to go to all that trouble to make something that will rot eventually. Buffalo Board would last forever. 

Larch will probably see you out.  The saw mill that milled our cladding (about 3 miles away from us: http://www.ridleysawmill.co.uk/  ) reckoned that untreated it should be good for at least 30 years, and if we then gave it a coat of clear preservative every five years it should last for another 30 years or so.  A lot of the local bus shelters are clad in waney edge larch, and many of them are now around 40 years old, and haven't had any treatment, yet they still look OK.  Supposedly Siberian larch is more durable than our native European larch, but judging by the longevity of some of our local larch I'd suggest the difference may not be that great.

The main snag with larch is that it can be tough on saw blades, as it has a high silica content.  It also sheds really nasty splinters, that seem to get through any gloves.  When making the bird box I was picking bits of larch out of my hands for a week afterwards.

9 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

I clicked on that!  WTF??!

It really annoys me with the attitude planning take to bats if you got them 

they have been proved to be carriers of lots of desaeses and now firmly linked with covid 

time the planners let us get rid of bats inour properties if we want to - they are flying rats really - not make us spend money on surveys etc -just make the buildings bat proof .

maybe cat caught a bat -I know my old cat caught a couple--and got infected .

lokks like now bats are not only going to have rabies but covid also ,which no doubt can be transmitted in the droppings --so bats and human dwellings  need social distancing 

Edited by scottishjohn

10 hours ago, Barney12 said:

The last "bat in a box" I was involved was when we found one with no visible signs of injury (cat etc). We stuck it in a Tupperware box for a couple of days then posted it to MAFF (I think before it became Defra). They liked to/had the resources to check UK bats for rabies like viruses, Marburg virus even etc in case one had made it across The Channel. They look for European Bat Lyssavirus 2 (from Europe). More common here is the EBLV 2 that can lead to classic rabies in humans.

A sobering thought that some 200 people a year receive treatment in the UK for bat bites etc. Best not to handle an injured one without gloves. If you do get bitten, evening ig doesn't break the skin then still get checked out. You also have to be careful about their urine/droppings, breathing dust in etc. Early treatment is key. A chap died over here in 2002 from EBLV2 induced rabies caught here. Seem to recall he was a bat researcher.

Sobering stuff indeed! 

10 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Luckily I still have a stack of wide (~300mm) rough sawn larch boards, left over from cladding the house.  Made a bird box from this a few weeks ago, and although several blue tits have been exploring it, it doesn't look as if it's met with their approval (it's made to the RSPB plans).

I thought bird boxes were reckoned for 'next spring' usually.

And for your garden - as for mine -- there may not yet be enough cover.

Which reminds me I need some niger seeds for the finches which have not yet appeared.

Edited by Ferdinand

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Have you considered an owl box?

I seem to remember that you are near the right sort of land.

10 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

There are several bird box designs around that use a single plank of wood most efficiently. Apols if already linked.

eg https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-families/family-wild-challenge/activities/build-a-birdbox/

I miss our swifts that used to do circuits round next door's lime trees chasing insects. No pollarded, which means my pv gets more sun, but still missed.

Edited by Ferdinand

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Which reminds me I need some niger seeds for the finches which have not yet appeared.

We are mobbed with finches.

Digging our foul drainage this week by hand: at one stage it was like digging inside an aviary. It helps that the rest of the garden has been left to itself for 4 years, so there's plenty of cover and masses of seed.

26 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I guess that's goldfinches. We feed them niger seed and also sunflower hearts which they are keen on. We had a flock of eighteen one day in the winter.

Just now, PeterStarck said:

I guess that's goldfinches. We feed them niger seed and also sunflower hearts which they are keen on. We had a flock of eighteen one day in the winter.

Yes - do well with those, even though I are near the town centre,

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Seems a pity to go to all that trouble to make something that will rot eventually. Buffalo Board would last forever. 

You could build a sparrow terrace with Buffalo Board, they aren't at all fussy.

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I think that some BHers might want to consider swift boxes, which strike me as interesting and elegant.

http://actionforswifts.blogspot.com/p/diy-swift-box-designs.html

http://actionforswifts.blogspot.com/search?q=%23triangle

You can also improve the response by wiring up a call generator.

Thanks 

That's exactly what we want to do with the Winter Garden 

I've decided I'm going to start tackling the garage. There's far too much non car related stuff in there by far. There's nowhere else for it to go mind but it'd be nice to at least be able to walk in there. 

I've got to stop dumping "stuff" just inside the rear door rather than homing it somewhere. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've decided I'm going to start tackling the garage. There's far too much non car related stuff in there by far. There's nowhere else for it to go mind but it'd be nice to at least be able to walk in there. 

I shall start looking for an old Ford for you to store.  Make enough room for a camper van, Transit based.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I shall start looking for an old Ford for you to store.  Make enough room for a camper van, Transit based.

No room unless I stack them in there! What I need is to get my arse in gear and make a rotisserie so I can at least spin the S through 90deg. Then push it over to one side a bit. That might give me more room to actually set to work on the Cabaret. The big issue is the amount of collected trim etc which I could do with storing elsewhere. It's why I'm relooking at creating storage space up in the truss rafters.

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No room unless I stack them in there! What I need is to get my arse in gear and make a rotisserie so I can at least spin the S through 90deg. Then push it over to one side a bit. That might give me more room to actually set to work on the Cabaret. The big issue is the amount of collected trim etc which I could do with storing elsewhere. It's why I'm relooking at creating storage space up in the truss rafters.

What you need is to get on and restore those Capri's.  That should keep you busy for a few weeks.

God I hope the lockdown won't last until you have finished them........

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

The big issue is the amount of collected trim etc which I could do with storing elsewhere.

I've found it takes up lots less space when fitted onto/into the car, makes the car more usable too ?

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

that’s on my (extensive) to do list, we have the odd barn owl around here and they hunt in our field at dusk which is magic to watch. We have just the right tree to put one in, maybe next winter eh!

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I seem to remember that you are near the right sort of land.

Now Ed Miliband is back on the Labour front bench I’m hoping we might get those free owls they promised 

• Haha 1

I think this scrap LTHW non return valve I picked up will make a nice patio heater / small barbecue. Just got to decide on the best orientation. Some legs, some black stove paint etc, a short chimney maybe? Must weigh nearly 100kg. The big brass plug on the side(s) give access to the shaft the damper pivots on. 

20200410_115640.thumb.jpg.beb309930c8d7d6857245d7ffef3dde0.jpg