Base for shipping container

Conor

Have a 20ft container arriving tomorrow PM for site storage / workshop duties.

I've an area cleared and compacted stones down... But it's far from even. I was thinking of setting down a few 40mm thick paving slabs on the low corners. Would these be up to the job of taking a container that will be full of general tools and materials? How accurate do I need to be with levels? Maybe 4 tonnes in total, not much more.

IMG-20200122-WA0000.jpeg

I used Large blocks of timber on the four corners of mine but I had a JCB to lift it and get it level, easier when it’s being unloaded just have some timber  handy, even if you slip the driver a tenner for five minutes work to satisfy your OCD!.

Edited by joe90

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I used Large blocks of timber on the four corners of mine but I had a JCB to lift it and get it level, easier when it’s being unloaded just have some timber/breeze blocks handy, even if you slip the driver a tenner for five minutes work to satisfy your OCD!.

Good thinking. Its being delivered for free and the guy is doing an extra run in the afternoon so I'm not going to push my luck taking his time. I need to get a telehandler in again soon so I think I'll get one that's capable of lifting it so I can take my time! It's going to have furniture in the back and a workshop in the front so want it as level as possible.

Scaffold Planks might do it.

3m ones would go across the width and give some space for adjustment.

And you might actually be able to ore level those by moving your gravel around.

Another possibility could be 8ft concrete fence posts, which would fit exactly ... but prob too tight time wise now. Some people use these for sheds.

Pesronally I might even use the screw adjustable heavy duty patio feet from Wallbarn, which cost minimal amounts .. but you definitely won’t get those.

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Waste of stone covering it with a container. Put the container on some bearers or blocks on the ground if temp

That makes even more sense. I'll drop it round the back of the house on some blocks instead. 

My container is on blocks above soil and rats have nested under it, maybe not a waste of stone, especially if it’s going to be hard standing after the container is gone. My container is going this year (if I can sort the crap out that’s in it) and replaced by stone to be a hard standing fir my caravan. You will need some stone at least near the door to access it without clods of earth on your boots

Edited by joe90

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

My container is on blocks above soil and rats have nested under it, maybe not a waste of stone, especially if it’s going to be hard standing after the container is gone. My container is going this year (if I can sort the crap out that’s in it) and replaced by stone to be a hard standing fir my caravan.

IME rats will go under stone.

To stop rats round here takes a concrete slab, especially if there is a potential food source.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Conor said:

We're in the posh bit of town. No rats here ? squirrels on the other hand....

@Declan52 I've just torn down the roof of the old house and have some massive purlins I can chop up with the chainsaw.

Only need to be 450mm long. No point in wasting it.

Mine is stood on two breeze blocks at the front and 1.2m  tall piers at the back. I slide mine down a slope, then used a bottle jack to raise it slowly, 150mm at the time, using temporary timber packing. Once level, I built the piers out of second hand bricks. It’s stood there for three years so far. 

ps - the piers don’t have any foundations, other than a 2foot square paving slab.

Planning to have a container on site for secure storage to be later repurposed into a shed-cum-garden office. On a couple of metres worth of made ground though - would the same suggestions above apply or would that be one for an SE?

1 minute ago, eandg said:

Planning to have a container on site for secure storage to be later repurposed into a shed-cum-garden office. On a couple of metres worth of made ground though - would the same suggestions above apply or would that be one for an SE?

nah, stick it on timber blocks as said above , if it does subside a bit, Jack it up and put in a bit more packing ?

• Like 1

bought some kwikstage of a selfbuilder and his container had been placed next to a shed, when he was finished with it as storage he put the wood fired boiler in it and roofed over the shed and container. clad in the same material you didn't realise it was there until he opened a large door.

Down here was once known as Bidonville with good reason. Pretty much every dwelling was a shack. It was the done thing to put down a layer of crushed, broken glass pre any floor slab to discourage rats.

• Like 1