My new shed.

Big Jimbo

I have finally made a start on my new shed. Its all timber, sitting on 12 piers which are on concrete pads. With regards insulation, the floor will be 100mm pir between 600mm spaced joists. The roof will be a warm roof, with 100mm pir, and the walls will be 100mm timber at 600 centres. I was going to put something like frametherm 32 batts in the walls. Overall, would you think that this would be a good level of insulation ? It's about 26 sq mt floor area. To be honest, once the house is finished, i intend turning it into a gym, or a teenage hang out etc, and i will clad it to match the house.

1 hour ago, Cpd said:

Sounds amazing, if I had such a shed I would be living on it ! 

We actually, my house renovation will for a time be unenhabitable, so my posh shed, is going to have a shower, and toilet in the corner, hence the reason for turning it into a gym, office , etc once the house is finished. Hence my question re insulation. I don't want to go over the top, but i don't want to freeze either. At the moment it wont have any power, etc, but the drainage will be in place to add power, toilet etc, once i need to

11 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

so my posh shed, is going to have a shower, and toilet

All posh sheds should have a toilet and shower,  how else are you going to get cleaned up before going into the main dwelling, also I think it’s imperative that a man shed should have a loo ! Keeps one out the house longer........ 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

We actually, my house renovation will for a time be unenhabitable, so my posh shed, is going to have a shower, and toilet in the corner, hence the reason for turning it into a gym, office , etc once the house is finished. Hence my question re insulation. I don't want to go over the top, but i don't want to freeze either. At the moment it wont have any power, etc, but the drainage will be in place to add power, toilet etc, once i need to

size of main doors? --they will be hardest part to insulate well

normal priced roller shutter types have crap insulation 

I am already planning this for my workshop --maybe make big sliding  door  from metal sips panels  or cold store panels   and  fit seal edge seals

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1

The main door is going to be a pair of double glazed upvc french doors. The other 4 windows will all be double glazed. So it will not end up a workshop. Chances are it will be a gym etc, when i have finished with it. Just dont want it to be too cold, when i have to live in it for a few months, or longer. Should be easy enough to heat, with a small panel heater i hope. Perhaps i should do electric underfloor heating ?

5 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

AAAAARGH. When is this rain going to stop. Trying to build in this rain is very, very hard work. I'm soaked, my wood is soaked, and my chopsaw is under a tarp. Doing my head in. I'm getting to thinking, i should be building a bloody swimming pool.

so don,t have a day off till it stops 

one slippy bit and you break something will be a much bigger delay

Its lke me got loads of trees to cut --but not in the wet  too dangerous -and it is january --

its going to be dry tomorrow AND sunday and good most of next week 

Edited by scottishjohn

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm totally pants with computers. First pic is my shed base. 12 concrete and block piers, dpm, and 6x2 base frame with 100mm pir insulation between joists.

Second pic is 4x2 walls. These have been covered on the outside with 11mm sterling board.

The roof is 8x2, Its got 25mm pir over rafters, and 100mm pir inbetween.

I was going to use fluffly stuff in the walls, but went with 100mm pir in the end.

Next is my mug that my daughter recently got me.

finally is my old car which i posted by accident. Sorry.

At the moment the roof has got firestone rubber laid over, and weighted down. I'll stick it when the bloody rain allows.

Pleased so far

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Your ground looks like the clay I have and just as soggy, good work with your man shed. Can you get the car in it????

The ground can deffo hold bloody water, that's for sure. Nope on the car. The double garage will be coming next. At the moment under a cover out the front? The shed is about 25sq mt

1 minute ago, Russdl said:

@Big Jimbo Thanks for the accidental car photo, lovely! Pretty rare as well I suspect? V12?

Oh, and the shed's looking pretty damn good as well.

Straight Six. 4.2l Daimler made 1600 of them, and about 500+ went sent to South Africa. Mine is a very early one. 72nd one built. I think it may be the oldest surviving one. I have yet to find one earlier. shed, despite the weather is coming on. Garage next for the car.

6 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

The pir in the walls was a good call.

Any fall on the roof?  Could you do a shallow apex?

Do you have proper drainage for the WC?  Commendable if you do!

Roof is on now. Flat with a fall to the rear. Covered in rubber waiting to be glued down. Yes, i'm going to put in new drainage for the w.c.