Ugly MVHR vents

I discussed this subject at a self build show with the MVHR company whose keenly priced kits are often mentioned in this forum. They had all sorts of options including decorative metal grills that looked as if they had been made in 1910. I think the key aesthetic objective is to reduce the proportion of the vent protruding below the ceiling line.

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Once you are in the house a while you don't even notice them on the ceiling. 

Sorry, Declan, but we've been in for 7 weeks and I still hate them.

I do agree with  @epsilonGreedy that it's the protrusion that troubles me, along with the shine against my flat matt white ceilings. The link that   posted from an earlier thread looks promising.

@AnonymousBosch I didn't say I wanted pretty, just less ugly. I'm a realist with things like this and have learned to manage my expectations.

• Like 1

The CVC ones we have are pretty discreet, probably the closest to a flush terminal as it's realistically possible to get and still have radial airflow.  I've just measured how far ours project from the ceiling and the surround is about 6mm thick and them the centre bit is another 12mm down from that, so about 18mm projection in total.  These are non-adjustable, though, so the flow adjustment has to be done either with restrictors or valves elsewhere in the system.  We used the HB+ ducting system and fitted their flow restrictors inside the distribution manifolds.

I made my own out of bits and like @JSHarris mine are not adjustable (previous threads talk about air noise from restrictions at the terminal). I can’t remember where I got the bits but they were dead cheap. (Note to self, get the MVHR balanced) ?

135042C3-A71D-4A6E-B968-9A73A557E136.jpeg

Edited by joe90

4 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Once you are in the house a while you don't even notice them on the ceiling. 

I find some things annoy me every time I look at them if they are not right, others don’t, can’t explain why.

6 minutes ago, Adrian Walker said:

Ae you really sure?

Mine are in over 5 years now and I can't remember walking into a room and looking up at the ceiling on my way in. Things like fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are far more unsightly than these vents.

If you want to have mhrv then you will have vents in your ceiling. 

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I find some things annoy me every time I look at them if they are not right, others don’t, can’t explain why.

Very true there are weird things that will catch your eye that no-one else sees. I guess we are all a little ocd with different things.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vivienz said:

My MVHR vents are utilitarian at best, ugly at worst.

Does anyone know of a source of less unattractive ones? For preference, I'm after something with a less shiny finish and more flush. Picture of the offending items attached.

What type of lighting are you going to use?

There are sometimes options to be quite imaginative with light fittings.

When I do our bathroom next year my intention is to incorporate the plenum into a lighting raft then use the fittings themselves as the extract points - likewise with clean return air, I don't see an issue, it is done commercially all the time.

I like double-gimbal rectangular down-lights, we have things like this: https://www.lucent-lighting.com/products/prospex-light-fixtures/gimbals/gimbal-maxi/ they are fully vented and I was able to actually incorporate them into a plenum in the ceiling void.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I discussed this subject at a self build show with the MVHR company whose keenly priced kits are often mentioned in this forum. They had all sorts of options including decorative metal grills that looked as if they had been made in 1910. I think the key aesthetic objective is to reduce the proportion of the vent protruding below the ceiling line.

Which company may that be? 

3 minutes ago, eandg said:

Which company may that be? 

BPC Ventilation iirc. 

I have images of their offerings on my phone to show customers as they have a few more available than most. 

There is an opening in the market for flush / recessed units here I think, but not a fan of the type you can see up into, which most alternatives seem to sufferer from. 

You also cannot have the ‘paper doily’ type ones as they’ll block up with dust me thinks. 

• Like 1