Jump to content

Oz07

Members
  • Posts

    3600
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

Everything posted by Oz07

  1. Why hangers instead of building into the wall?
  2. Generally valued per sq ft or m. Round my way approx 3500 m2. More important are the numbers though would it really make such little difference like 20 quid a year in energy?
  3. I wouldn't be selling it as for my home but I just can't see the justification for the wider cavity. 50 year payback is insane. Also 3m2 is enough for a little ensuite or cloakroom, it adds up.
  4. Yeh i think my last place had poor form factor it was a T shape and a bungalow. Also the cold bridge at truss to wall wasn't great as didn't go with eco trusses so insulation was quite tight here. Air tightness was great but mvhr was over ventilating I did diy commission then paid for someone reccomend by bpc to commission, they were clueless. Anyway forgetting windows for now because I'm just looking at whether its worth increasing insulation width. I don't think it is.
  5. Was weighing up this choice recently leaning towards 200mm cavity. I've built last 2 houses at 150mm. I plumbed the numbers into Google AI just to see what it thought on a 8x11m box 2 storey house. If the info it gave me back is right then I'd probably stick at 150mm. I thought it wouldn't be too much dearer but I think things will add up. I do remember someone @Mr Punter? Saying it was best to internally insulate the additional 50mm to keep everything more standard, footing width, ties, closers, lintels etc. The energy savings just don't seem worth it 50+ year payback and if you are constrained on overall size of dwelling your losing 2 or 3% in net floorspace. Anyone else make this decision and why?
  6. A 2x1 behind the skirting board. Otherwise cut flooring back and fit a bigger fillet. How far back is the joist?
  7. Those hangers don't look bad to me from the picture. I'd be inclined to board over. Sometimes a flat bit of timber and a whack with a hammer flattens it out.
  8. What are you having tape and fill or skim? Skimmed boards can be fitted with a few more lumps and bumps than the former
  9. Well you're not going to fill that deep in topsoil. Either hardcore or some inert fill. Are you parking on it or is it just planting/garden? If you had a trustworthy grab driver who you knew they could lose some loads on your job. Wouldn't want any old rubbish though.
  10. How much do you need to fill? Have you dug out for your foundations yet? You can fill with whatever you dig out and cap with topsoil
  11. No excuse for bad work but I learnt young you can mess something up trying to get a good job perfect. There's a couple of sayings with the same message.
  12. Lovely. Any idea of a ballpark figure. I've been considering a cut string staircase for upcoming project. Won't be as wow factor as that but will be something different from the usual white string oak handrail carpeted stairs job.
  13. I am skeptical the reserves of north sea oil and gas are as low as you make out. I have zero knowledge on this though. I suspect you could find sources which confirm whatever views one has. Some will say decades left, some will say not much.
  14. Not sure, I didn't derail it. Think it was bought up by one of the net zero cult defenders 🤣
  15. English is most definitely an ethnic group. You are making a fool of yourself if you seriously believe Rishi Sunak is ethnically English. If any other ethnicity was misappropriated like the english are there would be uproar. Is Joanna Lumley ethnically Indian?! Would I be Chinese if born on a holiday in China. Would I be aboriginal if born in Australia? https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/style-guide/ethnic-groups/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people
  16. I fitted a couple of these in my last place and still got great air test result so they must be good. https://www.jupiterblue.co.uk/loft-hatches-c2/standard-range-c9/airtight-loft-hatch-560-x-640mm-hinged-short-side-p221/s5093 In reality we never stored anything up there so very rarely opened them. The ariel was in the loft so handy to have and just for general inspection pov
  17. I don't think anyone's here for purely altruistic motives. I'm sure everyone gets something out of the place and tries to give back. Even the pros who are here might pick up some work or get some insight into what competitors are doing.
  18. Why is he racist? I see a clip where he is making the distinction between a British citizen and the English ethnicity. Is that what makes you think he is racist? @ProDave seems to be one of the few not taken in by the ideology. Low energy house, sustainable pv ashp etc, but realises net zero is a joke.
  19. I think thats rule of thumb but can go smaller like maybe 100mm in some circumstances. I'm sure I've seen it written down before. @Gus Potter
  20. Yeh i think from memory its over 90 and not certain sprinklers can be used. Pretty much up to bco as to whether will sign off. The plot i looked at had about 230m long driveway from memory.
  21. I think under 90m you can do sprinkler system
  22. Is it any surprise Pakistan has a lower co2 person output?! It's the bloody third world! They don't have electricity in caves. The solar is good news but we don't want to be in a hurry to match their co2 per person else we may go back to living in caves ourselves.
  23. As I've said before on here I nearly come a cropper with this. Looked at a plot down narrow drive over 90m long. I don't even think you can mitigate with sprinkler over this length. I left it for the vendor to get me in writing off building control that they would approve. They never did and the plot is still for sale. Don't assume bco will sign it off because planners said ok. Bco is technical and concerned with safety, planners aren't. It's a lot of money to spend to fall at final hurdle.
  24. A planning inspector is not the same guy who will be the BCO and signing off the finished house. Just make sure they are okay before you start.
×
×
  • Create New...