Jump to content

Onoff

Members
  • Posts

    21173
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    206

Everything posted by Onoff

  1. Beans are in! A scoop of compost in each hole. The expresso cup removed and plant popped in. Then a bit of soil packed around it & watered. Lastly a spray of garlic water around the perimeter. Fingers crossed.
  2. Love it! 👍
  3. Got the BiL to kindly take a few inches more out of the new patio area. It exposed the old water pipe that used to feed the piggery that was adjacent years ago. Should have plenty of depth now for some hardcore now and end up with this area level with the floor inside the house. The long term plan is to lower all the paved areas around the house.
  4. I've scored a possible daily supply of coffee grounds from some posh offices. From what I've read they can act as a slug deterrent.
  5. Yes, these expresso pots certainly haven't gone as "soggy" as the recycled cardboard ones from Lidl did last year. I wonder what "commercial" composting entails?
  6. Got half the bean holes dug with my knocked up tool that I chucked together from scrap. Hit a red ant nest who weren't too happy. Got a few stings for my efforts! The beans are more than ready to go in: Bear in mind here that I'm not a gardener! The cored hole is nom 3" dia and say 5 1/2" deep. Where they're dug, inside the rectangle of the galv frame, that's the relatively soft soil that I painstakingly sieved and layered with compost, ash, etc. Outside the galv frame is virgin flint country The little pots the beans are in now are nom 2 1/2" dia by 2 1/2" deep. I'm assuming to take the plants out of the pots and drop them in the holes. Maybe firmly pack round them with some bagged compost? Or should I leave in the pots and just drop in the hole, then again maybe just remove the bottom circle of card? Or run scissors up the side? A success rate of around 47/50. That was 47 new seeds and 3 saved. Not sure on whether it was new or old seeds that failed. When I say failed, all the seeds came up but I've 3 stragglers. A couple were pot bound and grew the wrong way up and the 3rd I think was maybe got at by a pigeon. Cheers
  7. Traditional railway sleepers too. He's talking I think though about "ordinary" pressure then subsequently DIY treated timber. It won't last underground.
  8. I believe Tom Jones has a similar set up on his place.
  9. I've all the bits here to do a solar thermal install, really need to get on with it this year. Is it that you need a heat dump like a radiator to deal with the excess heat? @Marvin might be able to shed some light.
  10. You're funny 👍 Go for it and see how long it lasts.
  11. You must have any "timber" at least 6" off of the ground.
  12. Paint it BLACK!
  13. Venetian plaster looks lovely.
  14. "Formers"! Wusses! Go wet room or go home! 😂
  15. You want a secure as secure is fixing there. Yes wait for their details but if it were me I'd weld a really thick steel plate between the top and bottom flange and drill and tap into that. If you simply nut and bolt the nut could go loose over time and be inaccessible. I probably have the correct, large size HSS taps I could send you to borrow. I've M12, 14, 16, 20 up to M24 I think.
  16. Drill a hole at the points in yellow and put some horizontal pegs in for them to put their cowboy hats 😉
  17. Tbh, once it stopped stinking out the garden I forgot about it and never used it. The water in the bucket dried out last year. I'll approach with caution over the weekend. Might even set another bucket going.
  18. Looking like I'll get all 50 beans sprouting here!
  19. Could I... Fill the bath with soil then cover it in say bin liners. Then punch holes thru and pop in little lettuce, carrot, whatever seeds, (plants?).
  20. That's not to be be sniffed at!
  21. Rough trade! 😉
  22. About half, so circa 25/50 of the runner beans have sprouted today including the 3 beans saved from last year. I need "soil" for my salad enclosure made from an old bath. I have a load of top soil from the patio excavation. I can sieve this but is there some way of "sterilising" it?
  23. I can always print covers up if you make a hash of the joints.
  24. 50 bean seeds planted. 47 new seeds and 3 saved from last year. Rather than last years paper mache/compressed cardboard pots, I've used compostable espresso cups I got given for nothing. I just punched a single hole in the base. It's taken 13 days for the seedlings to appear as opposed to 9 days last year. Not helped by the cloudy and wet month we've had here along with some morning frosts still.
×
×
  • Create New...