Jump to content

Onoff

Members
  • Posts

    21173
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    206

Everything posted by Onoff

  1. Off another forum. Pikeys it's assumed charged an old lady over £2K for this. At least they used 10mm OSB...
  2. My Dad had his similar garage re-roofed just before he died. Aluminium angle iron supporting a corrugated asbestos roof originally. I'd already added extra, intermediate angle irons 30 years ago when I used those crap, black bitumen, corrugated sheets from Wickes. That was a total failure. It sunk in multiple places like washing up bowl sized depressions. This time a local builder tek screwed OSB down to the angle irons then did a couple of layers of self adhesive roofing felt. Looks really good. I'll take some pics at the weekend. The concrete garage itself is shot but the roof is good!
  3. Gave up on the idea of planting the 12 butternut squash that I'd brought on from seed, in raised pots or mounds. I was sick of the sight of them tbh, getting them in every night. Yesterday afternoon I just whacked them straight in a prepared, well sifted, manured, L shaped trench. They can just take their chances. As a hoped pest deterrent I painted wood preserver on the top edge of the sleeper, outside the membrane that lines the sleepers so smelly right? I'd also had a home hair/beard trim so combined the cuttings with some hair from brushing the big tom cat here. Deterrent? I think not! Something shat(?) right next to the first plant! This is just nasty.
  4. I'd try some brick cleaning acid.
  5. Welders gaunlets for pulling up Triffid sized stinging nettles!
  6. Lidl had some excellent blue work gloves in. Bought 4 pairs size 11.
  7. 3 rolls of this would save all that planting: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alkor-Furniture-Adhesive-Protective-Bamboo/dp/B00CQ4UJDQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?
  8. It's plain mild steel, powder or possibly epoxy coated. Running water through if would just hasten rusting. In fact I'm thinking of spray injecting lanolin inside the sections as a natural rust preventative. Cleaning this same steel up when I made the pub arch recently was a mission. Flip disc'd the coating off, washed in phosphoric acid then etch primer and painted. Inside I squirted ACF-50. Still don't think it will last. For the bean frame I just keyed the coated surface and painted in Lidl's finest black paint.
  9. You mean the box section enclosure? The rough plan was a frame I could later net for growing brassicas / soft fruits or even plastic sheet the whole thing. Not too well thought out! I might change the top, printed connectors to allow a pitched roof.
  10. Digging an L shaped trench to put some butternut squash in on the sunny side and it further confirms this is made up ground. Seems to be spoil from previous house mods over an old rubbish tip which I'm aiming to excavate further. First came the PLJ (lemon juice), now this bottle last night, unfortunately broken: I'm sieving the soil that goes back in the trench through a 6mm sieve then mixing with 10 year old horse manure to add organic matter:
  11. Another 45 runner beans in a little raised bed. These to go with the other 50 already in. The new ones are red!
  12. S'funny, my missus points at your house and says similar!
  13. I got this lot for free on Facebook Marketplace. To be precise my nephew spotted them and we went down to Medway in his pikey truck. Likely plenty in that locale,, what with Chatham Dockyard etc. The people were remodeling their garden and wanted shot of them. Some look very old, others newer.
  14. I've used proper old ones to retain a veg patch. I lined the sides facing the soil with dpc. Hope it works as I've just done a raised bed right up against it. They do tend to leach tar especially in hot weather.
  15. A small child equipped with pencil and torch is very useful. This one can be made available for the appropriate fee through the buildhub tool loan arrangement:
  16. Best guess is a belemnite fossil. Like an ancient squid but with an internal skeleton. I'm giving it to the girl who identified it as she's been seriously ill and thought it might cheer her up.
  17. How many artisan barbers visits / pilates lessons would that pay for?
  18. Note the digger had broken this one apart. Can't find the other half of the flint "shell".
  19. Yep. Tbh this type of "inclusion" is pretty common to round here. My brother is good at spotting them. Came down one day and I'd unearthed a tennis ball shaped flint. He said "There's a fossil in that!" Gave it a sharp tap with a club hammer and we've a perfect sea anemone / tribolite type thing. I'll try and find it and put a photo up. This one though he has no idea. Suggested I contact the British Museum.
  20. Came home and saw a weird, flint sticking out of the bank where we've dug out to extend the patio: The plain side: A quick clean in the sink with the scrubbing brush: Any thoughts as to what it is? Bone?
  21. I am on clay. Thin top soil, clay, chalk. Flints in every layer
  22. On another forum, in part answer to the same question, somebody wrote: "A good quality geo membrane under the sub base is the most important factor". Really? Without diving into the paving expert site, is that really correct?
×
×
  • Create New...