Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. PS have you checked that the thermostatically controlled flap is actually moving - we have a log burner where this happened and it roared away all the time, until I fixed it, maybe yours has gone the other way.
  2. Welcome to THE forum for people like us! Someone will be along shorty to help I am sure Although I know a bit about steam locomotives I am not sure that experience will help however putting air in above the fire sounds like a no-no for over night running. If we want to keep a fire in over night, not a frequent occurrence, we tend to shut the damper, below the fire, right down to almost closed and if the wind blowing hard we close it down even more but avoiding shutting it completely. Locomotives don't have dampers above the fire. Unburnt coal sounds like a lack of air to keep it burning too much air and you will be left with ash and too little and you will be left with coal!
  3. True but the thing that caused the problem was yesterday's technology - coupled of course to the knock on effects it had in terms of standards of living, and hence the ability to acquire 'stuff'. So people, perhaps wrongly, look to technology for solutions but of course it won't on its own - unless there is some humungous breakthrough somewhere but that in itself is likely to come from a technology route. (PS My definition of Technology is science AND engineering working together - the one being the exploiter of the other. I suppose we could link in social aspects as well but most of that will be science already EG behavioral science, and if you don't think behavioral engineering is not already happening then you need to get off social networks!)
  4. Worse than I thought then.
  5. So it is not a very efficient way of storing renewable energy but round trip pumped storage is only 70-80% efficient.
  6. The operation is somewhat as you say but also prevents vacuum build up in the waste system when you flush. If you don;t have one of these you may have a breather somewhere else on your system, usually out side somewhere and / or a vacuum breaking valve (Called Air admittance Valve - AAV) somewhere in the house. If it is a new build building control won't sign it off without one or the other or both depending on your situation.
  7. Looks 'imposing', perhaps its the camera angle , welcome to THE forum for our kind of people. Sounds like the planners were on your side as a complaint from an MP usually, well in my experience, either buggers it up completely or slows it down so much that you give up. That is also a lot of glass! What direction is it facing?
  8. I was thinking of a guarantee of performance not the actual install, the challenge being to get the insurance industry to somewhat control standards as it would be in their interest.
  9. Or only installed in the right situations.
  10. Make it an insurance backed scheme - the premiums will be so high nobody will do it and the message will get home. Possibly somewhat cynical and, given we now broadly agree with him, you may think of it as a good move. I guess I have no problem with him backing what I think long may it continue.
  11. +1 to that. To turn this over we will need more than education because we will be up against capitalism, not a bad thing in itself, which will need careful control if @ProDave's prediction is not to crystalise. As a for instance we could regulate the installers in such a way that they have to guarantee, and pay any difference for the life of the system, the energy input and performance of the house once installed (EG Kw in for 20deg inside at 2deg outside with a wind speed as well.) That would force them to get educated to ensure they put systems in that work and very quickly HMG would realise where this does and does not work in terms of homes.
  12. I guess we are all entitled to change our minds when we discover we were wrong - some may say it was big of him to admit it and move on - I think it is called integrity.
  13. and be prepared for the electric bill! Although you may be able to sell the de-ionised water you will get.
  14. Planners accept a vast array of detail in drawings from Sketches to full blown architects drawings and 3D walk throughs. The things they need are the principle dimensions so they have something to refer back to. In my experience around here they don't even need drawings of consistent scales but the dimensions written are what they take along with relative features of the drawing. So if you show the top of a dormer as below the roof line but put a dimension that would make it higher than the roof line then the drawing not the dimension stands when you build it.
  15. 2.3 should be fine, 2.4 used to be the base minimum but now there is no minimum and 2.3 is only 100mm less. The room shapes with be something of a factor. A large room with a low ceiling is more of a problem than a small room with a low ceiling because of the way it feels.
  16. That's the whole idea then!
  17. If you have a signal then it is likely you can get a better one by using a modem with an aerial and / or directional aerial. This one HERE is not massively expensive but has two sim card slots so you can be connected to two providers giving you more certainty of connection. Obvs that means having two accounts but I have an unlimited data 4G package from one of the big providers at £32 PCM, and I find it works very well I can work from it without a problem. Also as we are all with the same provider I can gift up to 100mB a month to my family which works well as they have limited data but I can top it up for them. It does mean we are on the same provider though which is all eggs in one basket!
  18. So you need to work on how to get the views with the minimum of glass or go for high end glazing which may be up to quad glazing and so will limit the light entry somewhat while having good insulating properties. Also remember that the frame of the window is the worst area for heat loss (Sealed unit 3G glass is usually better than the frame) so the more frame you have in proportion to glass the worse the heat loss is U value of the window (Uw) is . On the south side I might try to make the kitchen - dining - living wall more glass to get me some more solar gain and reduce the floor to ceiling glass area (perhaps by having low walls with windows next to the doors). Naturally we cannot see the shading that this wall might have.
  19. Looks like a lot of glass on the north side!
  20. +1, the challenge is realise the difference between the old and the new. Right now, as I would out how we adjust things here at millstone manor for the new electricity price of 21p (We cannot switch for reasons I won't go into but it is not anything we did) and the fat that our LPG contract ends in about 8 weeks, I know I could add a few 100mm more insulation in the loft, we have 300 already, and save a bit but it may be that switching to ASHP but keeping the GAS for DHW or doubling the HW tank capacity (we cannot use a COMBI as water pressure / flow rate is too low) and using the night rate will help as long as I disconnect cap ex from revenue!
  21. They are not good for much but if we fed all the designs for heating systems in and found a metric for measuring how 'good' they were we could get our AI to validate our design in the same way they validate a road sign in a self driving car - classifying is what they are very good at.
  22. I wonder how one would one go about designing a COMBI ASHP for a passive house without a storage tank. IE tiny heating load and relatively large DHW demand from time to time? Two ASHPs!
  23. If the process encapsulated this then why is it a problem. Perhaps an AI could do it?
×
×
  • Create New...