Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Nope foot-pound/seconds, to be frank I dredged it up from my far distant memory so I could be well wrong but based on 1 kg⋅m2⋅s−3.
  2. Don't worry the government are about to launch a consultation about bringing back imperial units. That will mean talking about, BTU, foot pound / seconds & horsepower (and have to deal with the fact that HP differs by country), instead of Joules, and Watts.
  3. Yes - think about it, you are reducing the effective depth at the point where you want the max strength. You might discuss using a deeper flat hanger and putting a sloping wooden insert in the bottom to rest the rafter on with your SE.
  4. It's not over until it's over so hope for the best and prepare for the worst by finding a good planning consultant in case you need to appeal.
  5. Looks like nothing much has changed in 9 years then - this is close to obscene in the sense that we are all being encouraged to fit these devices for 'eco' reasons and yet the devices themselves are not so eco as all that. Looks like the scroll compressor driven units do not exhibit this effect so that's the way to go + asking what the standby current is for a unit you want to start instantly.
  6. It is odd given that you could use something like the EPS32 mini in a light sleep to watch over it and that would cost about 3p per year to run and be ready for action on reciept of a prod via wifi, Bluetooth, it's RTC or one of its pins.
  7. Very tidy, if you don't count the 45 degree link on the veroboard😁, where would we be without veroboard I wonder?
  8. Thought I would dig about a bit more on this topic - from an academic point of view at least. Found this link (https://learn.openenergymonitor.org/pv-diversion/introduction/choosing-an-energy-diverter.md) very useful in setting out the landscape rather well. I found very little actual academic research on the topic but there are more commercial devices out there than I had suspected although few give away much about the technology they use.
  9. perhaps adds to it for some though!
  10. Should I be sorry to here that - if so I am?
  11. I think I am still not clear why your current trace is the shape it is in terms of nuances (get the switched mode thing I think) EG the tiny burble just right of the current peak on the down slope. I can see that you are looking to handle things cycle by cycle and I am wondering given that the next cycle can be either import or export, perhaps randomly - might be fun to find the likelihood of each type of cycle following on under differing circumstances (just a few), just how quickly a load needs to respond, at both ends of the cycle, to be sure you do not end up in: a) a fight between appliances to use power they thought was there (they were told so) but isn't because another load got there first - too many pile in and b) a ringing loop that actually causes loads to switch on/off exactly out of synch with when you want them to. The single dump load probably solves the first, assuming you can overcome the issues @ProDave highlights, but how much of a potential export cycle will you get assuming you can send the message once you are sure the cycle would otherwise be an export cycle and then not leave it on for the next cycle until you are sure this is going to be an export cycle ad nauseam. All that while keeping track of the 3600 J / 1 Wh point. Fascinating exercise. PS I think this crossed with your post - I think I get it now - perhaps.
  12. Yes because it encourages development, by focusing our natural curiosity, in other directions leaving these roads un-travelled but among the known knowns so that we when we all have an automatic heart re-starter we can start playing again on this, now dusty, road.
  13. Tend to agree but to be a little fairer HMG need to do the leadership thing and explain to the builders why this is a good thing so they can in turn explain to clients why it will cost more while at the same time ensuring there are incentives to train in how to deliver the new way forward. Sadly it looks like this is another surface move without anything underneath.
  14. When putting up stick built you need something to keep the walls upright while you build. We used the scaffolding to do that with some internal bracing. I made some adjustable clamps so I could get it dead right by strapping the digital level to the stud and then listening for the upright tone while adjusting my little clamps.
  15. We used 4 ducts (75mm) 1 for gas, 1 for electric, 1 for water and 1 for comms. Put the the whole lot under the slab and up through the dpc with custom seals I made.
  16. No ours is only 75mm so no problem. How heavy are your slates / tiles. When the architect drew your roof they must have had an idea of how to do it?
  17. We used long screws with sunk heads in plastic sleeve to hold our insulation on and then we used Helifix nails to hold the battens down. HELIFIX do the calcs for you and they are dead easy to fit with the HELIFIX tool in the SDS drill.
  18. Ours, without PH build experiance, was very bright and willing to learn and if you think about it every Architect will have made their first PH without any experiance. Also we found that the PH experienced architects we interviewed were too cautious and so had, in our view and certainly not to denigrate them, somewhat limited horizons as they automatically kept their ideas in the PH envelope and so did not offer anything really 'out there' which we thought our design needed to be.
  19. That is not a great thought to hit you on a Saturday morning - but I have to praise your fortitude in staying away from it for 36 years. I manage a chocolate free lent each year and that is about all my abstinence tenacity will take.
  20. Did the VHF test and got my call sign - which I still have, but not the Morse test did a load of moon bounce and had a satellite tracking 4 Yagi setup on my mums house - still have all the rigs and now have an HF set as you now get all bands without the Morse. Don't turn it on much - used be a regular on the crystal palace repeater - not a squeeky and used to be pretty derisive of CB types (ooooops probably offended millions of Buildhubers.) Also still have a box of reel to reel recordings of Hancocks half hour I made in the 70s - I have checked I don;t have any that were lost!
  21. I did that as well It would seem so and yet back in them days (1974) I felt so very alone and now there are people like me everywhere round here.
  22. Yes did several of those: PHPP designer, the software was free excellent training in thinking it all though. I was on he course with a couple of people from a big house builder who were tasked with doing a few PH's although I am not sure they felt they (PH's) had a future in their corner of the market. Did a couple of PH visits with our local AECB (Association for Environment Conscious Building) group, good grounding and very motivating. Did an air tightness day with AECB as well. Swindon was not a thing then but did go the national house building show at NEC (twice - with different Agendas) to gather product details - windows, appliances, clever flooring... On the chocolate front I find it does not stick around in the air long enough to melt - once I see it I eat it!
  23. Yes while at school I made a whole lighting control rig for the school drama productions - about 10 dimmers in a row, worked like a dream nobody died but once the show was over I disposed of it and now only work at 24v and below.That tingle frightens me these days! I am happy doing mains wiring for switches, rings etc but electronics at mains voltages with open circuit boards nope, and would not recommend it.
  24. Having spent time in your home I agree it can be done very well without an architect and I would not suggest using an inexperienced PH Architect unless you were confident in your understanding of PH requirements. I had a year of sabbatical to do all the homework, took the PH planning course, read everything on the predecessor site to this one, and got all the construction details I wanted in my head. We had a conundrum - we spoke to 5 architects 2 with PH experience and the rest not. Sadly it was clear that we could not work with several and we got down to two, one with PH and one without. The one without PH was up for the opportunity to learn, were open to my helping wrangle the design as it evolved - including not charging for rework if aspects were not PH compatible and we really liked their work so we went that way. In the end it is always horses for courses. Mike
  25. Hi and Welcome to the forum, we started our Passive house road about 6 years back and have been building, basically on my own - part time, for the last 4 years. We had to learn lots - day job is semi retired academic, about everything. We have learned loads. Here are our bullet points: The devil is in the detail - in PH building the details really matter. Cheque book build aspects (we have had very few trades on site - the slab pour and the roof slating only so far) still need to meet the detail level so watching like a hawk. Get a good architect aboard, it does not matter if they don't have PH experience provided you like their prior work, you know your stuff and can run the PHPP across the ideas as they have them to keep their design feasible. Ours did a great job, as I stand in it now, but we had to knock it about a lot to keep it feasible as a PH - glazing size / orientation, passive ventilation. Not to mention achievable on our budget. Ensure (easy for you) great integration between SE / architect and build a good relationship with the SE. We let our architect use their chosen SE which worked well for the most part and we have been back to the SE much more that to the architect over the build because of issues here and there. Decide on what you want and stick to it. We have built what the architect drew and the SE made work, +/- a few mm, and made no changes because of the costs / implications of changes. That is not to say we won't change aspects of the internals but once you get going these things get increasingly costly. (2 edged sword for you as you probably do well out of clients changing their minds but once you have the UFH in the slab moving internal walls plays hell with any zoning...) Enjoy it - it won't all be fun and try not to play 'Grand designs bingo' along the way EG Have some children, run out of money, get divorced, have your main contractor go into liquidation....
×
×
  • Create New...