Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Yes unless they are using something like the trust approach which would allow dividends to be taken before tax. If a company is listed / embodied outside the UK it probably won't pay much tax in the UK, all companies of the size above will have a 'tax strategy statement' somewhere that will set out what they do but these are generally quite vanlilla and careful management of crystallisations usually means that the local business does not make a, or much of a, profit even if the group as a whole does. You will have seen this in the case of Google and Amazon which even HMG feels might somewhat be outside a reasonable envelope.
  2. That's the whole group, as is EON they don't split out their UK trading, so it will be a % of the above. SSE is wholly UK and if I had time I could have looked at Scottish Power and British Gas to see whats what. Interestingly I looked at Octapus - that is a private company but its latest accounts show losses as a group (they trade all over the planet and there are perhaps 30 companies in the group) but they are growing very fast. They also have what looks like a small set of directors that look after everything and look to be the owners of most of the shares but that is also somewhat obfuscated by the number of share classes they have so hard to get any details but it is clear that they have a very engaged staff base (with share options - not sure which class) and their founder is leading strongly.
  3. And some: (Just three of them) SSE market Cap £17.54b dividend earning 5.21% = £0.91bn to shareholders. EDF market Cap £30.00b dividend earning 7.17% = £2.15bn to shareholders. EON market Cap £21.43b dividend earning 4.93% = £1.05bn to shareholders.
  4. Perhaps - given prices for installed charge points come in around £1-2K here. Still doe not answer the self generated power issue or the V-L (Vehicle to Load) options coming down the track.
  5. Looks like 'autocorrect' has already worked.
  6. Interesting read, raises so many interesting questions, but in the end just another parasitic load, still I guess you can turn it off. Interesting point. My Questions / issues: See above - how does it deal with self generated power. I see no provision for V-L in this scheme as defined. I assume your EV will still have a 13A charge lead you can use to top up where you like - have I got that wrong. It can stop me charging but it looks like I can over ride it if I wish - seems daft it either is, or is not, a control. Not sure I like the DSR / ToU agreement idea but I guess many already have that. Thin end of the DSR wedge or what as this technology will soon be inside our homes controlling all our consumption.
  7. This was always going to be a challenge but I wonder how this fits with self generated power you may want to put into your EV during the summer days!
  8. Probably best, saves us reading all the way back to the beginning - picking up all the details, filtering out the various side eddies (where eddy = onoff), endeavouring to work out what the question was and try to frame an answer while sustaining the will to live and giving a dam.
  9. Make sure it's appropriate toughened if people could run / fall / lean on it.
  10. Presumably it was an accredited degree (JBM / IStructE / ICE or some such) in which case you can get chartered (You may already be Incorporated?) with a bit of work / study (Depending on how long ago you got it). Otherwise you just need the insurances. The PI will not be easy without your charter but you may find an underwriter who is up for it. Alternatively think about your business model and try looking for paid work helping out your local SE's with CAD or other duties to earn a curst while you get set up. Good luck.
  11. Very commendable work. Go Steamy the energy Zealot.
  12. Give up the telly and drink tap water - 100% saving on those two - what's next. Turn off my pc and stop posting he..
  13. Is this banter getting a bit rich for this thread?
  14. Relative is the word as some in wall insulations can make internal walls quite difficult. There are APPS you can get for your phone that will allow you to look at the relative signal strengths around the place I use WiFiAnalyzer.
  15. I don't have the situation I mentioned but have heard about it, so no but I get the point, I still worry the IoT will saturate the WiFi eventually although I also appreciate that the WiFi will get better and, as things are, I won't be convinced that the WiFi Access Points won't need a wired connection to be fully effective.
  16. What goes around comes around, try living in a block of flats with loads of Wifi from different suppliers all colliding and then try playing some of the high bandwidth games! Otherwise I tend to agree but I am going to put it in everywhere, it will be of its time.
  17. Reason Enough to bring it up I suppose - I just thought how mad is that, then I thought of all the comms one might need there and wondering if they would all be IoT WiFi or would need a wired connection. Then I found this, from 2014 - and wondered why it hadn't caught on quite yet? https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/features/2213-connecting-your-smart-fridge-to-the-internet/
  18. Do I need to run CAT 6 to the kitchen island? (There I said it was silly - until I thought about it.) Might I even need a patch panel?
  19. Hi. And welcome... a bit more detail would help, IE is the permission being sought for a nuclear power station or a new roof on an old shed? Or do you need it because you have 'been caught' or for some reason.
  20. Had a deeper dive on all this - for a bit of fun and as a refresh - last time I did any serious networking was back in 2014. It looks like the main products in the space are the Ubiquiti Unifi and TP-Link products in the prosumer market. There are others and you can build your system from scratch of course. I found a great video that purports to look at the TP-link system but then compares it to Ubiquiti. TP-link is much cheaper but has weaker security (No two factor as yet) and the Access points from Ubiquiti look smarter than those from TP-link.
  21. Don't want to add to your angst but depending on how many ports you need it looks like you might be able to get a single box to do all the switching / managing etc. I think TP-LINK have the OMADA SDN built into their larger switches . EG This one @ £205+VAT- although I may have read that wrong! Seems like a sensible integration anyway. https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/40617-tp-link-tl-sg2428p/specifications/#content
  22. Probably best to get the selfbuild mortgage from one of the help to build providers. (Its a government scheme and is basically the same as help to buy but in the self build market.) I guess if you need it then it will help if you can do without it or have a vehicle to pay it off before its starts accruing interest then it may be worth it. However in the current situation you might speculate on what house prices will do because that portion of your homes equity subject to help to build has a fixed lower value (as when you took it out) but the house value may go down. However you can pay it off anytime so you might see it as a moderately risky bridging loan (interest free for a few years) provided you can pay it off otherwise your repayments will go up to cover the help to build portion and it will track your house price at the relevant percentage. Just things to think about as I am no sort of advisor on these matters.
  23. Ok - so I spoke to my local expert. You have to have a mortgage and build the house before you can get the help to build loan - it, in effect, pays off a chunk, size of which depends on a number of factors, of your Mortgage once the house is built - thus reducing the repayments, it is interest free for a period and then you pay interest. Also, by the looks of it, you can get into negative equity with it just like any other loan.
  24. Not heard of it - I will ask my local expert!
×
×
  • Create New...