Romeo welding his Juliet. As usual, there's a twist

I'm building our three Juliet balconies. And as you prolly know, I'm not a welding God . In fact one or two members who will remain nameless, ( @Russell griffiths, chief among them)  really bruised my confidence badly.?

So I have a question. Look at this - look at the way the verticals intersect with the horizontals......

julietIllustration.thumb.jpeg.d9dc8b52aa4a172cd226ab997c586a4c.jpeg

For each of the verticals, as they go through the horizontals, should I weld  both the top and bottom bit of the vertical bar ?

If you cut the top of the bar at 45 degrees it will look nicer than you cutting them flat. 

If you can weld it nice (very broad term)  you can weld at both sides where it sits on the  horizontal bar.  

If you can't weld nice then hide the whole weld underneath the bar. 

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What sections are the verticals and horizontal?

12mm round vertical bars, 10mm by 40mm horizontals

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

[...]

If you can't weld nice then hide the whole weld underneath the bar. 

Thats the one.

Mind you, by the time I've done 60 welds, I might just be starting to weld nicely. 

Just do it using a small spot weld to hold each bar in place then do the bottom section first.  Then  hopefully you should be able to tackle the top and leave a presentable weld.  

You will know when you finish the bottom row if you are  able to otherwise just hide it.  

Hats off to you having a go but if it were me I wouldn't dream of making one unless it was galvanised before painting. You'll regret it when water gets into your crap welding holes and rust streaks. Even worse where it fixes to the wall. At the very least zinc flame sprayed then powder coated.

Just saying.

https://bearmetals.co.uk/juliet-balconies?

3 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

[...]

otherwise just hide it.  

ta!

Just now, Onoff said:

[...]

when water gets into your crap welding holes and rust streaks. Even worse where it fixes to the wall. At the very least zinc flame sprayed then powder coated.

[...]

You could have chosen to write if  instead of when . Wounded I am now, wounded

I'll get round to spraying and powder coating when you finish yer shower boudoir OK? Deal?

• Haha 1

So tell me, just what is the point of a "juliet balcony"?

How often are you likely to open the door and stand there?

What I am getting at, is do it properly, like we are, and make a proper balcony you can walk out onto, have a table and chairs, and sit out there.

The only people I know with a Juliet balcony, intended a proper balcony but ran out of money, and had to do something because there was s door there, and building control needed something to stop it being a suicide door.

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It's a European thing, they leap up out of bed and throw the doors open then do their morning exercises in all their naked glory.

:)

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

How often are you likely to open the door and stand there?

What I am getting at, is do it properly, like we are, and make a proper balcony you can walk out onto, have a table and chairs, and sit out there.

The only people I know with a Juliet balcony, intended a proper balcony but ran out of money, and had to do something because there was s door there, and building control needed something to stop it being a suicide door.

One assumes Ian would have had to have planned in advance, structurally, to have tea and biscuits out there ? And probably have planning too. ;)

@recoveringacademic, the horizontals...…..are they staying one-piece or stop / starting? One assumes that adding the verticals in to suit would be far simpler. Or do I have the wrong end 'ut stick?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

One assumes Ian would have had to have planned in advance, structurally, to have tea and biscuits out there ? And probably have planning too. ;)

@recoveringacademic, the horizontals...…..are they staying one-piece or stop / starting? One assumes that adding the verticals in to suit would be far simpler. Or do I have the wrong end 'ut stick?

Structurally, easy to fix to an ICF structure.  Then just 2 legs down to 2 concrete pads.

Ha ha, not going to live that comment down am I. 

Although it was funny

if I was going to make this I would make a jig up, if you have thought of this then ignore me. 

Grab a sheet of ply and draw out exactly to scale your balcony

screw little blocks on to mark out all your spacing between bars and top to bottom etc. 

Cut steel and lay on your jig so all your steel sits exactly on top of there drawn shape

drop a chunk of 2x2 across it all and screw down to hold it all still

tack weld every joint

now you can weld it all up with out it all going wibbly wobbly. 

or just go and get a chunk of glass cut to go over the door

go get them HEPHAESTUS ??☄️

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

12mm round vertical bars, 10mm by 40mm horizontals

Thats the one.

Mind you, by the time I've done 60 welds, I might just be starting to weld nicely. 

In these circs you need to find something inconspicuous that needs 20 welds which you can do as practice first.

Do you need a gate or a window grill somewhere?

Can you repurpose eg some robust skylights as glass balustrades?

Edited by Ferdinand

Don't know if this is an option for you, but do you have a full height bedrooms?

We have incorporated a top hung veluxs in the bedrooms upstairs. We originally had in our plans for a full balcony to fit a couple of chairs etc but had to do away with it because of the budget, but a large top hung velux has provided us with similar feeling to a juliet balcony. 

P1150928.thumb.JPG.0385fc79f7d193ee17c66faa0277e496.JPG