Timber Frame Scotland

GrantMcscott

hi

I have had quotes from Scotframe who has proposed SIPS and Fleming Homes who has proposed a traditional timber frame construction for my house.  The house is going to be in East Ayrshire, Scotland and I am not sure who to approach for Timber frame quotes.

Any recommendations of companies that people have used would be good as I only approached the 2 above  by googling 

thanks

Has Scotframe really proposed SIPS? I thought they generally proposed a hybrid timber frame / SIPSesque option in the form of a closed panel system. 

I used Scotframe for my build and had a positive experience with them albeit they weren’t probably the cheapest but I saved on architect fees, Structual Engineer fees, and their oversight de risked the project for us as novice self builders. 

Some that I looked at are:

MBC Timberframe - quite a few people on this site have used them for constructing to passive standards

SIPS industries - Dalgety Bay

THCL SIPS Scotland - perthshire

Rob Roy Homes - perthshire

Claymore homes - can't remember where

Angus Homes - Turriff

I have just signed contract with Angus homes. I have gone with them because:

• They do injected foam closed panel 0.15 u-value system (the also do rigid foam and open panel)
  • So far the customer service has been very good and they have been very accomodating
  • Price has been better than most of the other quotes
  • Lead times, only 4 weeks for the main frame (I didn't check what the other companies are)

Also remember when comparing SIPS with more traditional timber frame companies that they may not be supplying as many items as the traditional companies. SIPS tend to be just the structural elements, so potentially no facias, soffits, windows, external/internal doors, internal partitions, skirting board, internal insulation etc.

My advice would be first work out what sort of u-value you want to achieve as this may rule out some companies. Also do you want to timber frame company to erect the frame, so do and some don't. How much or how little do you want the timber frame company to provide, again this may help narrow the options.

as @newhomehas also mentioned, do you want the timber frame company to produce the designs and get building warrant etc as again some companies may not offer this service.

Edited by ultramods
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, newhome said:

Has Scotframe really proposed SIPS? I thought they generally proposed a hybrid timber frame / SIPSesque option in the form of a closed panel system. 

Hi yes you are correct it is for there Val-U-Therm system

Scotframe are 24% more expensive than Fleming homes so need to understand what the differences are between them to make sure I am doing a fair comparison.

It was a long time ago that I used them so I would ask what the quote includes, ie full design, structural engineer etc etc and as @ultramods says look at the U values. Our quote from Scotframe included all windows and doors (although we sourced them elsewhere in the end), skirting, coving, OSB for sarking, internal doors, and every nut, bolt and screw for the TF construction pretty much. We needed to add the insulation for the floor however. You need to get the full specs to compare really as they may not be like for like. 

2 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

Hi yes you are correct it is for there Val-U-Therm system

Scotframe are 24% more expensive than Fleming homes so need to understand what the differences are between them to make sure I am doing a fair comparison.

Scotframe were 25% more expensive compared to Angus Homes.

Some of the differences between Scotframe and Fleming might be:

Fleming don't do an injected foam closed panel system, their kit uses rigid foam boards cut into shape. Some of the insulation may need to be fitted on site.

Scotframe provide floor cassettes rather than lose joists.

Scotframe roof may not have lots of trusses rather the roof will be made of the same closed panel system.

So with the SIPS and Scotframe you may find that the structural erection is faster, however is the worth paying a premium for?

Ask the companies for details of the external wall make-up and ask what arrives pre assembled from the factory and what needs to be fitted on site.

You may be looking to do some of the work yourself which means an open panel system in which you can fit the insulation may be advantageous for you.

6 hours ago, ultramods said:

Some that I looked at are:

MBC Timberframe - quite a few people on this site have used them for constructing to passive standards

SIPS industries - Dalgety Bay

THCL SIPS Scotland - perthshire

Roy Roy Homes - perthshire

Claymore homes - can't remember where

Angus Homes - Turriff

Did you mean Rob Roy Homes?

Roy Homes, who were based in Inveness (and built out last house) went into administration a few years back.

• 3 weeks later...

I think RobRoy homes (based Near Comrie in Perthshire) are excellent designs...classic Scottish big cottage style...nicely considered. Ha...I sent them a free copy of my book, with a view to improving the already quality designs...not a squeak, no thanks or even a B++++r off. So, except on here, I don't recommend them! and my surname is Comrie! 

Of course, there's always tf kit houses from the WeeHouse co (theweehousecompany.co.uk) that gained inspiration from traditional Scottish But and Ben type cottages (see wiki for a reasonable definition...studio/1 and 2 bed and bespoke, can look as if they've been there for a century or two...sensible prices + land. Quality.

On 10/07/2018 at 15:25, GrantMcscott said:

hi

I have had quotes from Scotframe who has proposed SIPS and Fleming Homes who has proposed a traditional timber frame construction for my house.  The house is going to be in East Ayrshire, Scotland and I am not sure who to approach for Timber frame quotes.

Any recommendations of companies that people have used would be good as I only approached the 2 above  by googling 

thanks

We had a quote from Scotframe too, but I didn't like the salesman's sexist and old fashioned attitude, so  he didn't last long! We went with MBC in the end - just approaching completion with our house in St. Andrews. If you're not too far, you're welcome to come and have a cuppa and a look around. Happy to relate our MBC experience. 

• 2 years later...
On 02/08/2018 at 08:36, divorcingjack said:

We had a quote from Scotframe too, but I didn't like the salesman's sexist and old fashioned attitude, so  he didn't last long! We went with MBC in the end - just approaching completion with our house in St. Andrews. If you're not too far, you're welcome to come and have a cuppa and a look around. Happy to relate our MBC experience. 

Hi, I'm in the process of comparing timber frame and SIPs kit suppliers. Would love to hear more about MBC. How did the costs work out as a company based in England with a build up north? We're based in the north west of Scotland.