I hate all tradesmen

41 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hey !

who edited my expletives; they were there before . It looks like I can say cock many times without punishment!!! ?

Me because this is a family friendly forum ....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

I was told that if you have one, or are one, you can use it.

So I am OK.

(now how long will this stay up)

Nah, those that have one don't want to use it (generally) and those that are one don't know they are one (or think they are not!) ;)

17 minutes ago, pocster said:

This place is like the pub without the pub 

What, with naked men on the bog.  That is your local called 'The Cottager'

Bit of timeshifting here to avoid trouble

12 minutes ago, pocster said:

Banned from my local

Looks like you will be using The Glory Hole now :D

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

Back to tradesmen.

I did the wiring for a major refurb of a derelict bungalow last year. It was a complete gut and replace everything so the owner employed a lot of all sorts of trades directly to achieve the end result.

At the end she said something rather interesting to me (bearing in mind my location and she was Scottish).  Of all the trades she had on site, she would hapilly employ all the English ones again on another job, but would only employ ONE of the Scottish tradesmen again on another job.

Draw your own conclusion.

P.S. Please keep the thread clean,  this is a respectable forum.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Of all the trades she had on site, she would hapilly employ all the English ones again on another job, but would only employ ONE of the Scottish tradesmen on another job.

Hmm, well we had a mix of English and Scottish and there were good and bad from both countries. Only had one Welshman and he was ok I guess ;)

24 minutes ago, ProDave said:

P.S. Please keep the thread clean,  this is a respectable forum.

Why do men have dirty minds?

because they don’t change it every 2 minutes

57 minutes ago, newhome said:

Cos the F word is off limits but cock is presumably more socially acceptable here :D. I don't mind either personally but like many women it's the C word that I don't use, although at work the ones who come from t'other side of the Forth seem to use it more ;)

They have to because fanny is a term of endearment...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I appreciate that it is no help to you but my wife's got one of those but I still find ways of leaving the jobs around the house un done.???

Well, if you finished everything she wouldn't need to keep you any more, would she?  :ph34r:

7 hours ago, pocster said:

It’s like the Wild West . Just cowboys everywhere.

I disagree, I was a self employed builder for years and only got work by word of mouth by recommendation, I also worked with a few local lads who were also recommended so must be good. Like ProDave above.

My new build was done by a local builder who has a great reputation and his work for me could not have been better, I thought I was fussy and would upset the guys but their attention to detail was spot on.

i am not saying every trades person is good, there are a lot of cowboys about so if you want a good trades person do so by recommendation.

Just to add my tuppense worth, we haven’t had a bad trade on site, granted we haven’t had many but, Brickies, sparkie and plumber all faultless, all have their own business and a reputation in a smallish community to maintain, perhaps the issue arises when there is no accountability for work?

Working for a developer that pays price-work tends to encourage a “wham bam thank you ma’am” approach, and on to the next job, different site. Some of the trades on the developments is utterly shocking. Working for yourself you are relying on your number being passed on because of satisfied, returning custom, perhaps it’s a sign of the times, people don’t know their community any more and are selecting tradesman from glossy adverts. 

Unless newly set up, good tradespersons don’t need to advertise, heck they don’t have time for the backlog of work from word of mouth to even consider a glossy ad!

Also if you need good trades, I do think you need to wait, I think a lot of issues with selfbuild arises when deadlines over-run and people accept whoever is available just to get on. 

Id be suspicious of any trade that could start immediately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, daiking said:

Why do men have dirty minds?

The fallacy here is the assumption that the ladies have clean minds.

I still giggle at the idea that more presence of the fairer sex would raise the tone of BH.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

The fallacy here is the assumption that the ladies have clean minds.

I still giggle at the idea that more presence of the fairer sex would raise the tone of BH.

F

I'm shocked that you should assume it's a fallacy.  So disappointed.

As I emphasised to OH the other day, I was merely taking an interest in current affairs and discussing them with my girlfriends in a lively manner.  This was quite valid given that a still from the new series of Poldark was on the front page of at least 1 highly reputed daily newspaper. ?

• Like 2