My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Black tape ..??

Had to take a trip into the Aladin's cave of shite again in search of black tape. Still not working with black tape. Reading a bit higher at 50 but it's still bollox as I pretty much burn my hand on the pipes so I'd say over 70. I can keep my hand on the PHE at 55. 

29 minutes ago, newhome said:

Thanks! I will go in search of the markers with the nice smell. I know the ones you mean - a bit addictive ;). 98 was way too hot for my hand! That pump is reading over 100 today and I just burnt myself on it again. You know how you have to touch something 'just to check' 9_9:ph34r:

You flick a drop of water at it and see what happens.

@SteamyTea will now explain what happens at different temperatures.

If the water makes a fizzing noise or you can fry an egg on it, the pipe is too hot to touch.

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

You flick a drop of water at it and see what happens.

@SteamyTea will now explain what happens at different temperatures.

If the water makes a fizzing noise or you can fry an egg on it, the pipe is too hot to touch.

Hmm, it's a bit narrow for an egg. I might be able to fry an egg on the 100 degree pump though! I will go in armed with water and see what happens :D. The truth is though that I already know that it's too hot to touch as my hand tells me that already :P

Hmmm...accuracy on those cheap laser IR thermometers. I think mine was a fiver off eBay.

20180225_181756.thumb.jpg.b8a02e6e3fc5bcbb85e88d511ab46f80.jpg

An inch from the radiator, 37deg. Stand back 10' and point at the same spot and it's reading 30deg.

It is at least useful if measuring components for comparitive purposes as long as you do it from the same distance.

Edited by Onoff

Mine was a tenner from Amazon (Prime so delivered next day). It doesn't seem that sensitive to distance as long as I'm in reasonable striking distance, but it won't read those copper pipes with any accuracy. 

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

Mine was a tenner from Amazon (Prime so delivered next day). It doesn't seem that sensitive to distance as long as I'm in reasonable striking distance, but it won't read those copper pipes with any accuracy. 

Sounds better than mine! :)

The black marker pen or dab of black high temp paint should help. With the pen a couple of goings over might be needed. The problem is the laser reflecting off the shiny surface.

Same as when kids point a laser at a balloon. More chance of it popping if you mark a black spot on it. The black absorbs more energy and the spot heats up.

Edited by Onoff

We could, just for a laugh, all make a mug of tea and measure the temperature of the mug from a distance of 12", midway up the china.  A white much would be best (cause I only have white ones).

Then we can all see what readings we have.

Best to do it before the teabag is stirred, say 60 seconds after pouring in boiling water.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Hmmm...accuracy on those cheap laser IR thermometers. I think mine was a fiver off eBay.

20180225_181756.thumb.jpg.b8a02e6e3fc5bcbb85e88d511ab46f80.jpg

An inch from the radiator, 37deg. Stand back 10' and point at the same spot and it's reading 30deg.

It is at least useful if measuring components for comparitive purposes as long as you do it from the same distance.

What were the results like when you obeyed the instructions?

*innocent face*

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, newhome said:

@PeterW and @Nickfromwales must be making progress as they've asked me for the UFH plan. That's a big step on from the shite that is my TS / boiler / solar set up! 

Here are the plans (assuming readable - they are old and grubby)

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Now unless I am going blind ... where is the TS and Boiler on that plan ..??!

When using an IR thermometer (strictly speaking it's a bolometer) then there are a few things worth noting down. 

Firstly, as already mentioned, the laser pointer has nothing to do with the measurement, it's just a guide as to roughly where to point the thing, and is extremely inaccurate when used close to the thing you're trying to measure.  If you look at the business end (with the laser OFF) then you will see that the laser is offset from the conical black hole that has the bolometer sensor at the bottom of it.   When using it close to a pipe, then line up this hole with the pipe, don't use the laser guide.

Secondly, the bolometer is calibrated for a specific surface IR emissivity, usually around 0.9.  Shiny surfaces may be as low as 0.1 or less, so will very seriously under-read.  Ideally, paint the surface to be measured with something like a thin coat of white or grey matt paint, as that will have a surface IR emissivity that's pretty close to 0.9.

Finally, the further away you are from the thing you are trying to measure, the larger the area that the sensor will "see".  It will effectively average the temperature over the whole area it "sees" which may well also make it under-read when measuring small, hot objects. 

Try and place the measurement aperture as close as possible to the object you want to measure and try to make sure that object has an emissivity as close to 0.9 as possible and you should get a reasonably accurate measurement.  As  guide, here is a link to the surface emissivity of some materials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity#Emissivities_of_common_surfaces