Tiling...many questions

Onoff

@Nickfromwales is there any tile adhesive worth buying from Screwfix? I was looking to use up my £30 worth of vouchers. 

Or indeed Wickes as they have 15% off for the next half an hour! :)

I know the mix it yourself stuff rather than pre-mixed in a tub!

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Forget the rapid set. Trust me, you'll spend more time panicking and cleaning out dead or dying mixes than tiling. 

S'fix only seem to do rapid setting ones...

Is Norcros any good? Not sure of the difference between these two other than one's white and the other grey:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Norcros-Universal-Standard-Setting-Tile-Adhesive-White-20kg/p/169651

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Norcros-Standard-Setting-Flexible-Tile-Adhesive-Grey-20kg/p/167671

How do you choose what depth of notch you need for floor / wall tiles? New floor and boarded walls all pretty damn level and straight tbh. I'm erring towards 10mm for walls and floors but not sure why!

Then, is there a nominal "after compression" thickness for tile adhesive? Say you start with a 10mm trowel does that 10mm depth push down to 2, 4, 6mm? 

Cheers 

The size of trowel notch depends on the size and thickness of the tile.

If you are using say 900x900 tiles then you'd maybe want 13mm half round, whereas mosaics you'd want 6mm square notched. Obviously with say a stripe of mosaic in amongst other tiles you'd need to use the same size trowel.

Generally 10mm square notched trowel will be a good safe bet for a bathroom wall and floor, you could use 8mm on the walls as I'm sure the walls are mm straight, but you probably only want to buy one trowel.

The most a 10mm square trowel adhesive bed should "compress" down to is 4/5mm

11 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

The size of trowel notch depends on the size and thickness of the tile.

If you are using say 900x900 tiles then you'd maybe want 13mm half round, whereas mosaics you'd want 6mm square notched. Obviously with say a stripe of mosaic in amongst other tiles you'd need to use the same size trowel.

Generally 10mm square notched trowel will be a good safe bet for a bathroom wall and floor, you could use 8mm on the walls as I'm sure the walls are mm straight, but you probably only want to buy one trowel.

The most a 10mm square trowel adhesive bed should "compress" down to is 4/5mm. 

Cheers. The wall tiles are 400x250x8 and the floor tiles 330x330x8. 

I was thinking this for the floor:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rubi-open-handle-10mm-notched-steel-trowel/7539f

Could I get away with a 6mm notch for the walls?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rubi-open-handle-6mm-notched-steel-trowel/6228f#_=p

Screwfix do pricier Rubi trowels than above, (like 3x the price) in 6 and 10mm with "45deg notches to improve coverage and ease of use", worth it or not?

2 hours ago, bassanclan said:

Well that's fine, just thought for a one off job you would only want one 

Around a tenner for both and I used my last (£20) voucher to buy them and some other bits.

• 2 months later...

So all the gear and v.little idea! :)

The wet room mitre, I assume I fill the joints with tile adhesive and let it go off.

2018-06-10_11-13-46

On the assumption I then reinforce the vertical internal corners with Aqual Panel "mesh":

20180609_135859

AND that I'm going to run tanking strip up, as well as tanking with tanking liquid...

What order to I do in in? Tanking strip over the mesh? 

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

I can’t see why you need aqua panel mesh AND tanking strip. The tanking strip is a reinforced mesh with the rubber coating on it. Pretty much impossible to tear. Plus if you have too much material build up in the corners you’ll just make the final tiling more tricky as your tiles will be kicking out. The flatter the wall the simpler the job! 

Edited by Barney12
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to tank things first I know but it might not be long before I start tiling!

My chippy mate gave me this tile cutter so long ago I can't remember whether it came with a water tray which I assume it needs? I'll have to take another look in the garage from where I've just dug this out. I remember Ferm being Screwfix's cheap I brand a few years ago. Question is is it any good for my tiling? Thinking thd rusty blade might stain the tile edge of will that wear off after a few cuts? Cheers.

20180625_204706

20180625_204732

20180625_204758

You don't necessarily need a motorized cutter for wall tiles but maybe for thicker floor tiles. Iv done a bathroom just using a hand score and snap type cutter. Much less mess. I have a water lubricated cutter now and it has to be used outdoors and you get  soaked.

9 hours ago, Temp said:

You don't necessarily need a motorized cutter for wall tiles but maybe for thicker floor tiles. Iv done a bathroom just using a hand score and snap type cutter. Much less mess. I have a water lubricated cutter now and it has to be used outdoors and you get  soaked.

Just check you have not overfilled the water level. I made that mistake with my wet cutter and once I lowered the level so it just had the blade edge in the water it made a big difference in reducing the spray.