Tiling...many questions

Onoff

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

The best part was when the mirror for that vanity was found with two cast iron fireplaces on top of the box :/

Not cheap getting that remade.  

She would have been better off cutting her losses at that point :ph34r:. The mirror was clearly trying to commit suicide! 

• Like 1

If tiling a wall or floor with the same colour tile and you have multiple boxes, what's the norm to minimise shade differences, do you open all the boxes and pick from one box after the other?

Wife now getting ready to moan there's 34 odd boxes of tiles getting in the way in the dining room! :)

Cheers 

When I bought our floor tiles they were cheap end of line tiles. They only had just enough tiles of the same batch code, so we bought 1 spare pack of the same colour but a different batch code, thinking if we needed to use them, they would go along the back wall hidden behind the bath.where you would not notice.

As it happens we didn't need them, but in any case I could not tell any difference in colour. We ended up using them as skirting tiles.

Unless of course you've bought a tile for a "feature wall" which has 6 variants. Thats bad enough until you realise that they are supplied in boxes of 9 and the contents are "random".

So you have to lay the entire bloody wall out on the floor first to create a design you like. Bloody designers!! >:(

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If you bought them all with the same batch code you would not need to worry....

Unless the tiles aren’t identical so something like Travertine where you might want to have a look at them and play around with the patterns they create. We did similar with the oak flooring to even out the shades and knots, and used the ones we liked the least to go under furniture. 

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you bought them all with the same batch code you would not need to worry....

even if same batch code I would check samples from a few boxes anyway. Would be a pain to find out half way through that you should have mixed the boxes.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Tbh she can't complain as the majority of the boxes are now in the space in the study the bath once occupied! :)

I can see you’re a joy to live with ;). Bet she deserves a medal :D

I hope you have identical tiles or this thread could take on a life of it’s own a la boxing in while you decide which ones to lay where :ph34r:  

• Like 1

My top tip for tiling is to learn how to use a rubber faced tile beating block (aka Blat) to level the tiles. It's a technique my father showed me but I've not been able to find a youtube video.  

You apply adhesive using a notched trowel so you can adjust the amount the tile stands off the wall in the normal way. Then you rest one end of the block on one tile then lift and gently tap or press the other end against the tile you want to level. This makes the two tiles the same level. Repeat over an area of tiles and they all become remarkably flat. I've seen people use a spirit level (as a block) to level floor tiles in a similar way.

Google found a picture of the block I have but the web page says it's not in their current catalogue.

https://www.rubi.com/en/tile-beating-block-rd326

33 minutes ago, Temp said:

I think they would be horribly slow. Much quicker just to give them a few taps with the block.

They should be as quick as using an ordinary spacer. I will be redoing my upstairs shower and will use them so will let you know what they are really like.