Would this ever get planning?

I have the chance to buy this plot. Because of the way the road runs around a corner, any new build would be forward of the principle elevation of the house next door. I'm proposing a detached house of the orientation shown in red. It doesn't violate the 45 degree rule so no loss of light issues. Is there any way this might get planning? 

image.png.1c05df01798538d8cc62e84da0fa6934.png

Ask the local planning department for pre-planning advice. I'd say if this is a residential area, and it matches in with the other properties on the street, i can't see why it wouldn't get passed, the plot looks big enough to take it

Potential issues are likely to be around over-development, negative visual impact, highway safety, parking.

I'd draw a line following the front line of properties left of pic and try and plan within that, which probably means building closer to your neighbour, planners would probably baulk at anything intruding closer to the corner than that. Is there any negative planning history for the site or nearby? Are you in a conservation area?

There's inevitably a fair bit of risk (and cost). What are your plans and particularly what's your plan B if you can't get permission? If you're going to live in one or the other, would you be happy falling back to a large extension or terraced property that wraps around that corner?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, torre said:

I'd draw a line following the front line of properties left of pic and try and plan within that, which probably means building closer to your neighbour, planners would probably baulk at anything intruding closer to the corner than that. Is there any negative planning history for the site or nearby? Are you in a conservation area?

There's inevitably a fair bit of risk (and cost). What are your plans and particularly what's your plan B if you can't get permission? If you're going to live in one or the other, would you be happy falling back to a large extension or terraced property that wraps around that corner?

That's not possible as the owner of the existing house wants to keep their house separate (so the new house has to be detached) and keep the garden behind their house. So the only place to build this house is where I've shown. I would  be buying with a 'subject to planning' option agreement so there would be no plan B. Without planning I wouldn't buy the plot. I'd only be buying the plot, not the house as well. 

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Does it have access? Id have thought you'd have no chance of meeting visibility splay requirements around the corner.

Yes, it has direct road frontage all the way along. 

4 minutes ago, Rachieble said:

Yes, it has direct road frontage all the way along.

Generally, any vehicular crossing point cannot be within 10m of the corner of a street, 15m of the corner of a more major road.

12 minutes ago, garrymartin said:

Generally, any vehicular crossing point cannot be within 10m of the corner of a street, 15m of the corner of a more major road.

That's not an issues. We will take the existing house's drive and dropped curb which is currently to the side of their house. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I would say there isn’t enough room to satisfy parking or amenity land needed for the dwelling. 

There's no issue with parking - there's loads of room to the front - 48m2, easily enough for 2 spaces (the local requirement) after building the house. The image is deceptive. The red outlined area is 50m2 so it's still a reasonable sized garden (about 26m2 to the rear plus another 5m2 to the side). Overall therefore the garden and amenity land/parking is nearly 80m2.

Edited by Rachieble

40 minutes ago, Rachieble said:

That's not an issues. We will take the existing house's drive and dropped curb which is currently to the side of their house. 

You can't do that, new dwelling needs it's own independent vehicular access which needs to meet current highway standards. Unless they are selling that as part of the site and they have an alternative access? 

There is a "building" shown in the corner of the existing plot. Is that a garage for the existing house built right up to the road?  If so that will be in your favour as the building line and visibility is already breached.

Where will the existing house park?  I expect both would have to share the same entrance as I doubt a new one would be allowed closer to the corner.

Make an offer "subject to planning" and submit a planning in principle application.  If that is rejected you can walk away with little cost.

A suitably anonymised streetview screen grab might help.

• Like 1

The building line looks too close to the road and even as it stands the rear garden would be tight?

Draw the plot boundary in between your plot and the sellers plot and see what your left with.

5 hours ago, Rachieble said:

.... Is there any way this might get planning? 

The best we can do is speculate. And thats about as useful to you as pub chat. Any posts about planning permission on this website are - at best - inexpert comment.

May I suggest you

• research your LPA website for similar Planning Applications
  • network among local estate agents
  • using a mapping program, look at your area in detail and see if you can see similar housing development(s)
  • If your area has a Local Plan, read it in detail.
  • then get out and about and have a close look at housing developments in your area. See if there are other properties (no matter how old) that are in a similar physical position
  • and when all that's done, consult a well regarded local planner and ask for advice.

I suggest you work through the suggested list in order because by the time you talk to a planner, you will need to be able to talk about the locality in some detail.

Put another way, it will be harder for that planner to fleece you by offering bad advice.

Good luck!

Ian

• Like 2

For what it is worth, I previously owned a property in a similar situation.  I briefly thought about trying for permission for a separate dwelling, but soon concluded, even if it was possible, it would leave the original small house with little garden, the new house would also have a tiny garden, and they would have to share the same road entrance and parking making it even more awkward.

I ended up instead extending the original house making it nearly double the size and that met with no opposition and was a better use of the space.

Get an architect to look at it . Do a double or quits on a successful application.

If it’s an upmarket area with expensive properties then ( hands up if anyone knows what I’m about to say ) you build at least 1 story underground like a king of mofo’s .

Pocster knows nothing ; but he also knows best.

Look at ‘How a planner got Planning’ on here, it’s very useful. 
Could you consider building something small (ie ‘affordable’) and maybe extending later?

Not all planning consultants are made equal. Try to get recommendations.

• Like 1

Had a very similar project a few years ago when I was still working as an AT in Wiltshire.

Can't remember exact details but went for a pre-app (I think, not at home so can't find the job details)

Was given a very negative response from planning department so didn't pursue it.