230m to tip wind turbines

Hi

A company is loking to put windturbines about 2KM away from my property and has started to draw up a contract with me.  One of the statments they are asking for me to agree to is the following

Non-interference -The Householders will acknowledge and agree that they are financially involved in the Energy Project for the purposes of the ETSU Noise Guidance.

Not sure what it means can anyone help?

thanks

I have a largish windturbine just over a kilometre from me.  Can't see it.

I wish they had made a much taller and bigger one.

I am confused as to why they are getting in touch with you when it is so far away.

7 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

Non-interference -The Householders will acknowledge and agree that they are financially involved in the Energy Project for the purposes of the ETSU Noise Guidance.

Maybe our resident legal man @Adsibob can shed some light on it.

they are also putting in 400 acreas of solar near me

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I have a largish windturbine just over a kilometre from me.  Can't see it.

I wish they had made a much taller and bigger one.

I am confused as to why they are getting in touch with you when it is so far away.

Maybe our resident legal man @Adsibob can shed some light on it.

26 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

Are you financially involved? will you get money as part of the development. If you a financially benefited from the scheme you will have a reduced noise criteria applied to you (i.e. the turbines can be louder at your premises compared to someone not financially benefitted). I can't recall of the top of my head if its 3 or 5 dB.

Edit i was wrong, it varies but is 45 dB during the day and night.

image.png.19a7483638352647cdb5aa859b44fd62.png

image.png.d6f35b2cba8c018270cad0320e6cd621.png

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Are you financially involved? will you get money as part of the development. If you a financially benefited from the scheme you will have a reduced noise criteria applied to you (i.e. the turbines can be louder at your premises compared to someone not financially benefitted). I can't recall of the top of my head if its 3 or 5 dB

I live in a valley and most likly will not see the turbines so and 2 km away so would it matter about noise?  We are also upwind of the turbines.

yes that is what I am deciding if I am going to be finacially involved as it is not a lot of money

Edited by GrantMcscott

1 hour ago, GrantMcscott said:

One of the statments they are asking for me to agree to is the following

As it's a contract, and you don't know what it means, I would ask them for an explanation. Does the 230m to tip, refer to the overall blade diameter, or from ground to highest point point of a blade tip?

29 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

yes that is what I am deciding if I am going to be finacially involved as it is not a lot of money

I was approached by a wind farm about laying an underground cable across my garden.  I played along for a short while more curious to see what level of payment they might offer.  But I really sis not want a 33KV underground cable across my garden imposing restrictions on what I could do with that bit of garden unless they offered a high figure.

I got as far as letting one of their surveyors measure the garden and they concluded as I had, it was not the easiest or best route.  I understand that cable is now going under my neighbours garden alongside another one laid 10 or more years ago.  From what I gather from him the payment is "not a lot"

34 minutes ago, Gone West said:

As it's a contract, and you don't know what it means, I would ask them for an explanation. Does the 230m to tip, refer to the overall blade diameter, or from ground to highest point point of a blade tip?

Typically (see what I did there) the tip height is the highest point that the finished turbine can reach, so tower height plus radius of rotors.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

I live in a valley and most likly will not see the turbines so and 2 km away so would it matter about noise?  We are also upwind of the turbines.

Ask the developer for the noise assessment to see how noisy it's going to before you sign. If it's not a lot of money I wouldn't sign up without seeing what the predictions say.

Sounds like the ones they are putting In are bigun's with sound emissions that may be pretty high. 

3 hours ago, Gone West said:

As it's a contract, and you don't know what it means, I would ask them for an explanation

This. Never sign a contract until you've read it and understand it.

3 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

that is what I am deciding if I am going to be finacially involved as it is not a lot of money

If its not a lot then why consider it?

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Ask for more

Agree, either make it worth while or tell them to do one. Once you sign up there is no going back if the noise is too much.

You might want to have a chat with neighbours. In my area a farmer accepted a deal with a wind farm co and then discovered everyone in the nearby village was opposed. He ended up writing an objection to the planning application. The company reminded him that he had agreed not to object in the contract he had signed and he had to write another letter withdrawing his objection. 

In the end the Secretary of State over-ruled the Appeal Inspector and said it was too close to conservation areas and Listed Buildings. So he ended up with nothing and lost a lot of friends. 

In some cases if you agree to the noise limits at your property it can  mean no new houses can be built between you and the turbines because the noise the would exceed the guidelines. I think that's unlikely at 2km as other house are likely to be nearer already. Unless you are one of the nearest?

5 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

Hi

A company is loking to put windturbines about 2KM away from my property and has started to draw up a contract with me.  One of the statments they are asking for me to agree to is the following

Not sure what it means can anyone help?

thanks

You have my sympathy.

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Ask for more

Doesnt work like that. You get what you are given. Which will be the square root of bugger all.

6 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Doesnt work like that. You get what you are given. Which will be the square root of bugger all.

Then i would refer the honourable gentleman to the answer i gave some moments ago....

33 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Which is why in my case they had really wanted their cable under my garden and that is what they offered, I would not have signed.

Don't forget that any contract you sign accepting a certain level of noise for a meagre sum will likely apply to any future buyer of your house and limit its saleability.

• Like 2

Can you really hear anything from them at 2km away?? I've visited a few wind farms and they are loud when stood directly underneath on a windy day... But 2km!?

Definitely never found the noise intrusive carrying out business around the wind farm itself.

Compared to typical road noise, wind noise in your own property, a MVHR circulating air etc etc...... I really thinks it's worrying for worries sake. I think they are incredibly graceful thing,and each one a middle finger to OPEC, Russia, etc!

Edit,  A14 view I was referring to, as you drive up over the hill and see them in the field in front! Really cool.

5616.jpg

Edited by Andehh

The noise assessment will be based on manufacturers sound power data for the turbine at different wind speeds, something like below

Screenshot_20240307-065113_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.8b281a908adececc735c7f7fdf63b7a6.jpg

The turbine generally gets noiser at higher windspeeds, until it hits it cut off windspeed to avoid damage. Also the noise criteria gets higher at the receptor as wind speeds get higher as the background noise level increases.

However as there is a financial tie, it's a flat 45 dB whatever the wind speed.

In this example the wind turbine has a sound power level of 108 dB at 10 m/s. Assuming a simple point source radiation and no other losses or wind propigation effects its 34 dB at a receptor 2km away. There will be more than one turbine operating, so you get a culmative effect but need to account fot thier spatial distance. Say 4 turbines are equally spaced to the receptor, the result of all 4 is 40 dB. 8 equally spread turbines is 43 dB. 

However the losses due to met and atmospheric can be large, so these levels can only get lower.

When the wind is howling at 10 m/s the ambient levels at you house may mask the noise.

However personally I would want a chunk of cash before I start to give up my rights in relation to noise.

You will hear it some of the time. We have three 2.2km North of us and when the wind speed is relatively low but strong enough for the turbines to turn you can hear the whoosing noise. I have to dial out the other sounds though and focus on it to hear it. As the wind speed rises the noise of the wind itself can only be heard. It’s very rare that I hear it though. 

It’s actually quite nice oddly. It’s certainly not an insufferable noise. 

Edited by Kelvin

1 hour ago, Andehh said:

Can you really hear anything from them at 2km away??

I'd be surprised. My son lives out in the sticks near Bishop Auckland and there are several large turbines only a few hundred yards away and you can hear the whooosh from the blades, but it's not too bad. Not what I would want though.