Looking for a dual fuel hob.

When we built our house, at a time of restrained budget, I fitted a 4 burner LPG hob which was an ex display sale at a give away price from Howdens (but then I had to re jet it for LPG) and was only meant to be temporary.

5 years Later, it is time to change it.  We have always fancied a mix of gas and induction.  One thought was 2 separate (but matching) 2 burner hobs side by side or a dual fuel hob.

I throw it open to the forum for recommendations.

All I have found is this one https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/cooking/hobs/mixed-fuel-hobs/smeg-pm3643d-65cm-frameless-mixed-induction-and-gas-hob-black/

But the price!!!!!!!  and it does not even say it can be jetted for LPG.

Looking at separates, I have found a 2 burner gas hob and 2 zone induction hob by the same manufacturer.

https://www.arebos.co.uk/en_gb/gas-hob-glas-ceramic-2-zones.html

https://www.arebos.co.uk/en_gb/home-living/kitchen/cooking-hob/induction-hob-2-cooking-zones-3400w.html

Never heard of that make and they are cheap, so probably not good?

BUT one is 52cm deep and the other 51cm.  So would look stupid side by side.  How stupid is that.

This search may take a while.......

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

Possibly, but the source does not instil confidence wrt warranty.

I have now found this pair that at least are the same size

https://cookology.com/product/collections/black-products/cookology-ggh306bk-30cm-2-burner-gas-on-glass-hob-with-cast-iron-pan-supports/

https://cookology.com/product/collections/black-products/cookology-cit301-30cm-domino-induction-hob-black/

Because they are cheap and an unknown make, I would be tempted to buy two of the induction hobs, one as a "service spare"

Still looking for more options preferably from a known make and reputable source.

12 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you have gas, I cannot for the life of me see why you want induction, what do you think it’s benefits are. 

Instant modulation response, efficiency (directly and the exclusively heating the pan itself), better heating uniformity, ultra-quick water boiling, easy to achieve continuous simmering, no combustion byproducts, no direct fossil fuel use, much easier to clean… 

I was a gas evangelist until we switched to induction and capped off the gas supply; it’s a revelation, and I’d never go back to gas unless I didn’t have a choice. 

Note however: if you’re a big fan of authentic wok cooking, gas is still the only choice for now. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If you have gas, I cannot for the life of me see why you want induction

I would say

“if you have electricity, I cannot for the life of me see why you would want gas.”

I think @ectoplasmosis summed it all up nicely. 

@ProDave we’ve got a couple of camping gas stoves for the power cut that hasn’t happened since we bought them. Tonight may be the night though, it’s blowing a hoolie out there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

SWMBO wants induction, but I want gas, partly for the reasons above, and partly it will work in a power cut.  So the compromise is have both.

Induction hob definitely. Gas bbq for emergency and steak. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ectoplasmosis said:

I was a gas evangelist until we switched to induction and capped off the gas supply; it’s a revelation, and I’d never go back to gas unless I didn’t have a choice. 

Note however: if you’re a big fan of authentic wok cooking, gas is still the only choice for now. 

I agree with all of this. Only thing I would add is that the other advantage of gas is that it continues to heat the pan when you lift it up. E.g. if you’re wanting to toss something or make an omelette/pancake spread out a bit.

But, a huge advantage of induction is that it requires a much lower safe zone above it, which means you don’t need a really ugly cut out in a row of wall cupboards if your job is installed along that wall. Looks better in my view, as well as useful storage directly above your cooking area.

Edited by Adsibob
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ectoplasmosis said:

Instant modulation response, efficiency (directly and the exclusively heating the pan itself), better heating uniformity, ultra-quick water boiling, easy to achieve continuous simmering, no combustion byproducts, no direct fossil fuel use, much easier to clean… 

I don't agree with your last point.  My wife is from SE Asia so naturally does plenty of wok cooking - no problem on an induction hob, according to her, with a large flat bottomed wok from IKEA.

Putt my chef's hat on for a moment, if people can't cook, then the choice of hob is irrelevant.

Those that can cook, prefer an induction hob.

And don't fall for the nonsense about 'you need thick based pans on an induction hob to spread the heat', that is only said by people that can't cook.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TonyT said:

Cost per kWh gas is about a quarter of the price of electricity

That playing field is levelled a bit by the greater efficiency of induction over gas.

Probably further levelled by cheaper/easier cleaning for the induction. 

4 hours ago, Russdl said:

And setting fire to things for cooking/heating is so ‘last century’ 😁

Tell the wife that, she complains every time she uses the hob - its induction. She misses the gas hob, I don't and I do most the cooking.

• Like 1

So in Wickes this afternoon (visiting for something else)  we saw this

WhatsAppImage2024-01-24at16_33_19.thumb.jpeg.9aa237820e2050a8c7fa27fc95d644d1.jpeg

I liked that, and (some will say strangely) the fact the induction unit was controlled by knobs not non tactile buttons.

So went to enquire.

"Oh that is obsolete can't get that any more"

"In that case can I buy that as ex display"

"No we would have to get permission from head office to do that"

"Well could you phone head office and ask them please"

"no"

Even finding a second assistant who gave much the same answer did not help.

SWMBO almost had to drag me away as I was starting to get angry.......

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

WhatsAppImage2024-01-24at16_33_19.thumb.jpeg.9aa237820e2050a8c7fa27fc95d644d1.jpeg

The fact it is not made any more says it all.

It is hideous, and borderline dangerous.

I suspect that the reason you cannot get it is because Electrolux took it of the market.

Edited by SteamyTea

The AEG looks like your best bet and can be had here for £671. It is very well reviewed on the AEG site.

If it was me I would not be having gas. Just back from two weeks at the in laws. So much less safe than induction with handles getting hot. Way too easy to hit the big sticky up knobs by mistake also and hard to tell what it is set at and if rings are even on under pans.

https://www.applianceworldonline.com/aeg-hdb95623nb-black-300084404?/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh8OtBhCQARIsAIkWb6_n1O10ex3OlP65laYWjQ0JEwl_1b29NPmWV3siHl7vXsGCmlRRyDwaAhcCEALw_wcB

If you need 600mm wide then there is the Electrolux hob that was found on eBay and an identical AEG hob, but it seems to be a European import which may affect the warranty. It should come with a 24 month EU warranty here -

https://www.vieffetrade.eu/sale/cooker-hobs/electrolux/mixed-hob-cm.-60-_-black-glass-ceramic/kdi641723k/562046

• 3 weeks later...

As to having lpg available during a power cut, are you sure? We have an lpg stove in the static we are in during the move. The stove has an electrical connection and during a power cut the ignitors wouldn't work and we couldn't get the gas to light with a match either as it just wouldn't stay lit. I assume there was some fail safe at work. Go induction - we can't wait to get back to electric, this gas lark is a real pain for control.