Clear security issue, but I’m being told I’m exaggerating!

We went away on holiday and leant our house to some relatives. They lost the key. I would like to change the locks and yet my relatives (not the ones that lost the key, but relatives who arranged the house loan), are saying I’m overreacting. We live in a fairly safe neighbourhood, but it is London and crime has been on the up recently.

Only two weeks ago some opportunist tried to get into the van of a tradesman who was doing some work for us. The van was parked in our drive, 1pm in the afternoon.

The house guests don’t know where they lost the key, but the video footage I’ve seen shows them looking for it in our front drive, so I’m guessing they think it must have been lost locally.

I’m pretty pissed off by the situation. Particularly because the information wasn’t volunteered. I worked it out from my Ring video footage and the fact that the keys which were returned are clearly copies not originals. We questioned this and the loss was confirmed. No apology.

So obviously I’m angry, but trying to put that to one side and think dispassionately about this, it still feels like an unnecessary security risk, or am I being irrational? How much would it cost to change a 5 lever multipoint lock? The key is just a Chubb style key made by ERA.

Normally I would say the chances of a key being matched to a lock is minuscule but if they were looking in the garden or drive they must have an idea it could be close by so yes change the lock. Is it a Euro barrel (key hole shaped)? If so then very easy to do

I’m just a little confused as to how I can access the lock itself. The door is made of steel, and the lock appears to be behind a a rather long metal profile that travels the whole length of the door. I guess I will have to disassemble it and investigate.

It is not a euro barrel (Yale like) so changing may be slightly more difficult. Take the plate off and see how it is accessed. As for the stressing I would frame it as a 'cost' of having house sitters, get a new lock but keep the old one so you have a spare. I agree not telling you is a bit of a let down but some people may see it as just leaving it as they found it albeit with new keys - without thinking that the loss does put your home at risk. 

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Was the old one on a key ring saying "12 Laurel Avenue"?  If not even if someone found it how would they know what house it fits?

This. 

None of mine, nor my family have identifying address details on our keys for this reason.. 

And if I ever stay in a hotel with a numbered key fob, the first thing I do is take it off. It's an advert that you're not inside. 

Every time we go in holiday, we see people dining in restaurants with their "overpriced hotel room 101" keys on the table on full display.. Criminals are largely opportunists, take away the opportunity, reduce the victim status to negligible. 

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Was the old one on a key ring saying "12 Laurel Avenue"?  If not even if someone found it how would they know what house it fits?

It’s really just in the extreme situation, like somebody observed the loss and followed them home, or it was lost on the street and someone took the time to try it in every house. There are about 280 houses, so it would take a while. The main concern is that the video I have shows the house guests looking for it in our front driveway and on our front steps. So if they lost it that close to our house, an opportunist who found the key would not have many houses to try.

Edited by Adsibob

26 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

The chances are slim but not zero. If you think you’re going to fret about it then change it. If you think you might fret now but it’ll pass then just leave it. 

Good advice. I will leave it a few days then decide. 
It has made me wonder about the benefits of a keyless smart lock. But at least according to our local locksmith, who would have a vested interest in saying this, they are not as secure and therefore not insurance approved. I believe @Pocster may have a smart fingerprint activated lock on his front door. If so, I’d be interested to know if it is insurance approved and if so, what make and model it is and whether he is happy with it.

1 minute ago, Adsibob said:

I believe @Pocster may have a smart fingerprint activated lock on his front door.

He admitted to me that he arrived a couple of times to find his front door open, turns out that rain had triggered it open!!!! Yes I looked into keyless (like on a car) but the reviews were not that good.

• Confused 1

I had similar situation with car keys, I lost them between the garage and the front door, our garage is behind the house, so can be accessed through the garden or round past the neighbours on the path, I’d walked round the path.

Anyway insurers insisted on the locks and keys being changed. Cost was £1200 but took 4 months as some bits had to be ordered from Japan.

fortunately is a free add on with Aviva so no loss of NCD. And also fortunate it was a second car.

Bit annoying not being able to use it for 4 months though, and the dealer left it outside where it got covered in seagull poo

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Good advice. I will leave it a few days then decide. 
It has made me wonder about the benefits of a keyless smart lock. But at least according to our local locksmith, who would have a vested interest in saying this, they are not as secure and therefore not insurance approved. I believe @Pocster may have a smart fingerprint activated lock on his front door. If so, I’d be interested to know if it is insurance approved and if so, what make and model it is and whether he is happy with it.

My door is pas 24 rated . I can’t remember the spec for the finger scanner .

https://rkdoorsystems.co.uk/products/doors/door-accessories/finger-print-entry-system/

I’ve not informed my insurer about it as I forgot until you posted . 
I assume though they wouldn’t care as it’s pas 24 anyway ?!
Whilst SWMBO struggles to use it I have no issues - great to not have a key .

Edited by Pocster

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

He admitted to me that he arrived a couple of times to find his front door open, turns out that rain had triggered it open!!!! Yes I looked into keyless (like on a car) but the reviews were not that good.

Erm . No 

I opened my front door remotely with my dodgy HA code . If your finger is wet then it usually doesn’t work . So you get into the habit of rubbing your wet finger on clothing before swiping the scanner .

I’m very happy with the scanner .

15 hours ago, ProDave said:

Does your house insurance have anything to offer like they will pay for new locks in the case of a lost key?

I don’t know, but surely if they did, that would just be a scam way of increasing your premium at renewal time.