Large (3m x 7m) sliding doors

mjc55

Looking at the possibility of making most of one wall of the newbuild glass sliders.

Would be maybe around 3m tall (floor to ceiling)  and up to about 7m length with potential small glass return.

A bit vague I know but I'm sure there are some on here that have included something similar on their builds.

Is this going to be potentially very, very expensive?  Any hints and suggestions welcome.

For that amount of glass, you want the best glazing and system you can get, or else it'll be very hot and very cold. Allow £20k+

Have you hade a full heatloss / thermal model done of the design? And does it allow for that amount of glass?

We have 5m x 2.7m triple glazed bifolds that came in at £12k, two years ago.

• Like 1

1. Be careful about overheating, especially if south facing.

2.  If one unit is too expensive you can break it up with fixed panels either side of a slider.

3.   Rationel don’t do sliders but we put in their window doors.  Which are full height side hinged windows you can use for egress, might be an option.  We used a combo of their full height window doors and fixed panels but not over a huge gap like yours and broke them down with vertical breaks.  My profile pic shows what we did.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Conor said:

For that amount of glass, you want the best glazing and system you can get, or else it'll be very hot and very cold. Allow £20k+

Have you hade a full heatloss / thermal model done of the design? And does it allow for that amount of glass?

We have 5m x 2.7m triple glazed bifolds that came in at £12k, two years ago.

Thanks for that.

Not at the stage of heatloss etc calcs.  really just exploring options.

2 hours ago, Bozza said:

1. Be careful about overheating, especially if south facing.

2.  If one unit is too expensive you can break it up with fixed panels either side of a slider.

3.   Rationel don’t do sliders but we put in their window doors.  Which are full height side hinged windows you can use for egress, might be an option.  We used a combo of their full height window doors and fixed panels but not over a huge gap like yours and broke them down with vertical breaks.  My profile pic shows what we did.

Still at very early stage but

1.  West facing rear of property

2.  Yes, sounds reasonable, obviously fully opening is desirable but cost outweighs desirability unfortunately.

3.  Will have a look at pic, thanks.

We had full height 5.5 m wide doors in Australia 

we are building here now and thought about having two sets of 5m wide doors, then we thought how often you would actually have the whole back of the house opened up, and decided on one door and one large picture window. 

Probably saved a good few grand. 

On 04/12/2023 at 08:20, Russell griffiths said:

We had full height 5.5 m wide doors in Australia 

we are building here now and thought about having two sets of 5m wide doors, then we thought how often you would actually have the whole back of the house opened up, and decided on one door and one large picture window. 

Probably saved a good few grand. 

what we did too. 

23 hours ago, Tom said:

We have a 6m and 4m run of "Cor Vision Plus" sliders meeting at a moving corner, triple glazed and solar control glass, came in at around 30k in the end. Gulp.

Would love to see pics of this, bigger brother to ours by the sound of it!!

• 3 months later...
On 04/12/2023 at 06:20, Kelvin said:

It will be very heavy too so lots to consider structurally, and access to fit it. Our 3G 2.1m by 3.6m sliding door weighs 347kgs. 

We have 2 of these similar size and weight . Company stated they would crane them in ( need to go underground so an extra complication ) . On install day they moved them by hand with a lot of manpower . I indicated how (expletive deleted)ing ridiculous it was and left them too it .

The whole of the end wall of my house is glazed . For large areas you will need structural glass (think airports and office buildings) which is very expensive 20k plus. What I did was put a structural beam across at 2.3 meters height and then fixed glazing about to the apex (single story barn conversion) and then a 7.5m x 2.2m 3 piece sliding door under. All 3G , I think the total cost of the glazing was about 7-8k. 

Edited by gc100

On 04/12/2023 at 01:39, mjc55 said:

West facing rear of property

So will get full low sun mid afternoon onwards. Plan for overheating. We have 36m2 of glass in out living room, which is southwest facing. It can get very hot if you are not careful.

Not to bad in the winter, with triple glazed 0.6 U value, but the lounge looses as much heat as the rest of the house.